Cheap low-light cameras available?

Old September 30th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Nosey Nanci

Default Cheap low-light cameras available?

I would like to get a digital camera that would work well in low-light
without flash if possible. Anything like that exist? I can probably
only afford around $300.

Thanks for your help,
Nosey Nancy
Old October 3rd 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
stevenp

I have found that most digital cams. have to be tripod mounted for
longer exposures. My dinky casio takes excellent pix if the lighting is
right. (it's also the tiny'ist can around)

Old October 3rd 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Paul Heslop

Nosey Nanci wrote:

I would like to get a digital camera that would work well in low-light
without flash if possible. Anything like that exist? I can probably
only afford around $300.

Thanks for your help,
Nosey Nancy

There are some Fujis claiming low light capability but I'm not sure
what their prices are in dollars, or how good the cams actually are.

the F30 claims ISO sensitivity
• ISO 100
• ISO 200
• ISO 400
• ISO 800
• ISO 1600
• ISO 3200

E900 claims
ISO rating Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800

S5600 claims
ISO 64 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600

Z3 claims
ISO 64/100/200/400/800/1600

V10 claims
ISO 64 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600

The lower end cams seem to just do upto 400 and it qualifies this with
a 'depending on conditions' warning.
--
Paul (why dont you call me i feel like flying in two)
Stop and Look
Old October 9th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bart Byers

Nosey Nanci wrote:
I would like to get a digital camera that would work well in low-light
without flash if possible. Anything like that exist? I can probably
only afford around $300.

Thanks for your help,
Nosey Nancy

I bought a refurbished HP R607 the other day. With a tripod it will see
better in the dark than my eyes. It made a nice picture of a bedroom
when the only light in the house was in the room across the hall. It
also made a nice picture in a room lit by just two candles.
Old October 23rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
AAvK

I would like to get a digital camera that would work well in low-light
without flash if possible. Anything like that exist? I can probably
only afford around $300.

Thanks for your help,
Nosey Nancy

One of the old "C" series Olympus cams that has a fast 1.7 zoom lens, should do it.

--
})))* Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Old October 25th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Mike Jacoubowsky

One of the old "C" series Olympus cams that has a fast 1.7 zoom lens,
should do it.

Or not. The 5050 (and its later brethren) had great lenses, as you note. But
above the default ISO, things got pretty noisy. ISO 200 was barely usable,
in my experience. The newer cameras like the F30, on the other hand, take
darned good photos at ISO 400, so the benefits of the nicer lens in the 5050
are eaten up, and then some, by the newer imaging sensors in cameras like
the F30. And yes, I have personal experience from taking many thousands of
photos with each.

Having said all that, I do miss my 5050. Really nice, sharp lens on that
camera. Unfortunately, I let my daughter take it on a trip, and it got left
behind somewhere. But overall there's a lot to be said for the F30.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 26th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
pegleg

The Fuji S5200 (aka S5600), (5 Megapixels, 10x zoom) has been
superceded by the new S6000, so that the price, today, on Amazon, is
around $229. That would give you enough left over for incidentals: 1 GB
card, camera case, maybe UV lens (to protect the camera's lens).
Pegleg