How to measure ISO

Old November 5th 15, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Default How to measure ISO

Eric Stevens wrote:

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...techniques.htm

--
sid
Old November 5th 15, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 17:21:14 +0000, sid wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...techniques.htm

You should have left the prior paragraph in the text you quoted. viz:

"As a general rule, I would also expose to the left. The D750 gives me
little trouble with noise and I tend to have more trouble with burned
out highs than I do with loss of detail in the shadows."

This is the third case in the Cambridge tutorial you cited above.

The Nikon D750 produces relatively low noise (at least compared with
my old D300) and has a wide dynamic range. This does have some effect
on when and where you apply the established rules. So too does the
type of photography I have so far been using it for. In a different
situation I would change my approach. My original comments were
intended to make the point that 'expose to the right' is not a
universal panacea.

Eric Stevens
Old November 5th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 02:45:40 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

As a general rule, I would also expose to the left. The D750 gives me
little trouble with noise and I tend to have more trouble with burned
out highs than I do with loss of detail in the shadows.

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

What do you do if, as I said, your problem *is* clipping highlights?

then reduce the exposure. if you clip the highlights, they're gone. you
don't want to clip highlights.

Which is more or less what I said in the paragraph at the top of this
article. Thank you for leaving it in.

Eric Stevens
Old November 5th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-11-05 02:42, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:59:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

That said, I'd rather underexpose by half a stop
than overexpose by a stop.

Well, there is a general recommendation to expose to the right, to
minimise noise (also taking into account that cameras nowadays tolerate
some overexposure).

As a general rule, I would also expose to the left. The D750 gives me
little trouble with noise and I tend to have more trouble with burned
out highs than I do with loss of detail in the shadows.

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

What do you do if, as I said, your problem *is* clipping highlights?

He's generally right as one treats digital like slide film ("expose for
the highlights"). I shoot 2.3 - 2.5 stops down from HL for my a900.
For the 7D, 1.7.. 2 stops down. (using spot metering in both).

That said, sometimes clipped HL are necessary to get the subject nicely
and exposed.
Old November 5th 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Eric Stevens wrote:

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...techniques.htm

You should have left the prior paragraph in the text you quoted. viz:

Why? You asked a question and I provided a link that explains why. End of.

"As a general rule, I would also expose to the left. The D750 gives me
little trouble with noise and I tend to have more trouble with burned
out highs than I do with loss of detail in the shadows."

This is the third case in the Cambridge tutorial you cited above.

The Nikon D750 produces relatively low noise (at least compared with
my old D300) and has a wide dynamic range. This does have some effect
on when and where you apply the established rules. So too does the
type of photography I have so far been using it for. In a different
situation I would change my approach. My original comments were
intended to make the point that 'expose to the right' is not a
universal panacea.

If you always do as nospam suggested then you will always record the maximum
amount of detail with the least noise.

--
sid
Old November 6th 15, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 22:57 +0000, sid wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

ideally, it's best to expose to the right without clipping any
highlights.

Why?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...techniques.htm

You should have left the prior paragraph in the text you quoted. viz:

Why? You asked a question and I provided a link that explains why. End of.

It's not really the End of. I should have made myself more clear. In
my general photographic situation I have already been doing what the
Cambridge Color site advised. As I have already described I have been
exposing to the left by deliberately underexposing by 1/2 stop as they
advised. That doesn't mean I have been trying to cram everything down
to the lefthand end.

"As a general rule, I would also expose to the left. The D750 gives me
little trouble with noise and I tend to have more trouble with burned
out highs than I do with loss of detail in the shadows."

This is the third case in the Cambridge tutorial you cited above.

Sorry. It's the second case.

The Nikon D750 produces relatively low noise (at least compared with
my old D300) and has a wide dynamic range. This does have some effect
on when and where you apply the established rules. So too does the
type of photography I have so far been using it for. In a different
situation I would change my approach. My original comments were
intended to make the point that 'expose to the right' is not a
universal panacea.

If you always do as nospam suggested then you will always record the maximum
amount of detail with the least noise.

As I have already explained, I'm trying to avoid excessive loss of
highlights and noise doesn't seem to be a problem.

Eric Stevens
Old November 6th 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:57:34 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2015-11-05 02:42, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:59:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

My recent problems have been due either to bright clouds or inside
lighting in buildings. Also stained glass windows viewed from the
inside of of buildings.

Eric Stevens
Old November 6th 15, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-11-05 02:42, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:59:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Scene DR is too high to get it all in both cases. Digital is better
than slide film, but the difference from mid tone to highlight remains
relatively slim. On the plus side you have much more range from mid
tone to shadow with digital v. slide.

For things like stained glass inside buildings I'd suggest a tripod and
HDR methods. 3 images is probably enough in most cases. Same for
outdoor if the subject permits.

Old November 6th 15, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-11-05 02:42, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:59:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I have stained glass from the outside in. Now I need to hunt down the reverse.
https://db.tt/wdLuyTuB

Savageduck

Old November 6th 15, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-11-05 02:42, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:59:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...03/LR---19.jpg

St Peters in the 'old town' of Geneva. Hand held D300. 1/50 sec at
f/6.3. Processed with LR.

Eric Stevens