Let's talk tripods

Old February 22nd 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Beefy LaSleep

Default Let's talk tripods

Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
$400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
$200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....
Old February 22nd 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Beefy LaSleep wrote:
Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
$400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
$200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....

I use the Manfrotto 55MF3 which is quite light, very sturdy, tall. I
use it with 35mm and MF cameras. When I bought it, it was about
CAD$330. Fine tripod.

I've mated it to a 410 geared head which is more appropriate to my MF
gear and works great with the 35mm gear as well. Not sure that I'll
ever go back to ball heads (I do own one - out at a friend's farm on
loan on 190 legs (must be a year now...)).

I believe there is a smaller Manfrotto with the old "190" label but in
carbon fibre.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 22nd 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_11_]

Beefy LaSleep wrote:
Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
$400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
$200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....

A lesser know drawback of lightweight tripods is their centre of gravity
which is considerably higher than heavier tripods. It makes them more
likely to fall over.

Nothing more heart stopping than seeing a new Nikon D3 with a 400mm lens
topple into a creek bed because an over active dog brushed past it.

The problem is lessened - even eliminated buy using a heavy weight hung
on the centre hook. I now carry a sand bag that I fill with rocks or
sand before putting a camera on mine.

Sometimes I ask myself if carrying a few pounds extra weight of an
aluminium tripod might not be an easier burden, given that it too needs
to be weighted for stability. Fluid heads make the issue of stability
even more important than a head that simply locks and unlocks.

Given choices again, I'd kit out lighter but have sturdier gear. A 400
F/2.8 Nikon lens is a heavy beast. I'd probably go for a lighter
solution like a 70-200 with a 2x converter. But... We all have eyes in
our bum. It's called hindsight!

D-Mac.info
Old February 23rd 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Beefy LaSleep" wrote in message
Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
$400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
$200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....

It seems to me that weight, in and of itself, is an important factor in
tripods....Which is why I have avoided buying one of these carbon fiber
things....I don't believe stiffness alone can do the job, especially in a
stiff cross wind.....

Old February 23rd 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default |AX| Let's talk tripods

Beefy LaSleep wrote:
Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
$400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
$200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....

Are you sure you can get carbon fiber for $200?
I went with a Gitzo basalt 1298 which is cheaper, lighter, smaller &
almost as sturdy as the next CF option for about $350:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 23rd 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Beefy LaSleep

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:01:31 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

Are you sure you can get carbon fiber for $200?
I went with a Gitzo basalt 1298 which is cheaper, lighter, smaller &
almost as sturdy as the next CF option for about $350:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

I've seen one CF for about $220; most are $300+, true, then there's
KEH, whom I've dealt with over the years and never had a problem. They
have some used ones from time to time that sell for far below list
price.

Some good points were made about stiffness vs. stability. I would say
it would be a sinking feeling seeing the camera topple; I was hand
holding on a trip once, and slipped, dropping to the ground while
traveling over waterfalls. A companion was amazed at how instinctively
I cradled and protected the camera from damage, taking the fall on my
knee!

While I shoot film exclusively, I generally am out with the Nikon
N90s, much lighter than my trusty Canon F1, but I would not want to
see either fall!

I'll kick around ideas, and perhaps dig out a lower end Velbon pod I
have somewhere, and see if it's light enough, yet sturdy for the
hiking trips....
Old February 23rd 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote:

Are you sure you can get carbon fiber for $200?

There are several companies offering Chinese-made carbon fiber
tripods for less than $200. For example:
http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/fly...roduct_id=2997

The one I tried was of indifferent quality.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Nid wif yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch ar unrhyw waith i'w

Old February 23rd 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:08:31 -0500, "Michael Benveniste"
wrote:

Nid wif yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch ar unrhyw waith i'w
gyfieithu

You collect pictures of signs, too?

'I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be
translated.'
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 23rd 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

wrote:

Nid wif yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch ar unrhyw waith i'w
gyfieithu

You collect pictures of signs, too?

'I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be
translated.'

No, but I found that particular incident amusing:
http://failblog.org/2008/11/24/welsh-fail/

I _do_ have a quasi-original Illinois U.S. 66 sign, though.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Amo conventum instituti. -- Artifex Hannibal

Old February 23rd 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeteD[_5_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Beefy LaSleep wrote:
[...]

Personally I am prepared to lug my 0055XProB legs everywhere.

IS & tripods TheDave© 35mm Photo Equipment 3 March 26th 06 03:01 PM
Tripods FS Arthur Small 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 August 22nd 05 04:17 PM
Tripods FS Arthur Small General Equipment For Sale 0 August 22nd 05 04:17 PM
Tripods Avery Digital SLR Cameras 3 January 23rd 05 11:17 AM
Tripods sonsdad 35mm Photo Equipment 37 November 8th 04 06:13 PM