FILM ADVICE

Old April 8th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Craig Schroeder

Default FILM ADVICE

I had some Fuji Reala and Superia 100 languishing in the freezer last
year and used it up at a car/cycle show. It seemed well suited to the
task.... They both handled the chrome very well, too and exhibited
appropriate color saturation for this duty. I also used an NPZ at the
end of the day and was amazed at how well it rendered colors,
especially the reds along with enhanced depth of field ability. For
handholding medium format (I was using a monopod and Bronica RF645
that day), I wouldn't hesitate to head out loaded with NPZ.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:19:16 -0500, (PRO SHOW_SS)
wrote:

I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

thanks in advance

Wayne
Milwaukee,WI

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com
Old April 9th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
laura halliday

On Apr 5, 9:19 pm, (PRO SHOW_SS) wrote:
I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

Shooting cars is a specialty of its own right, regardless of what
medium you shoot with. There is enough subtlety that people
have written books about it, like _How to Photograph Cars_
(one of my faves) by James Mann. You'll see his name by
lots of pictures in the U.K. car magazines.

A favourite technique is how to get those action shots from
inside the car that look like the scenery is going by at Mach 3.
To minimize vibration use a very long exposure (3 seconds is
not out of the question), stop down accordingly, and push the
car by hand, with the engine off (he illustrates this in the book
with a Lotus Elise). Just keep the idiot lights out of the frame. :-)

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89lg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old April 9th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Karl Winkler

On Apr 6, 1:52 am, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"PRO SHOW_SS" wrote in message

I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

Car types presumably like snappy colors and lots of contrast. Velvia 100F is
what I'd try first. It's very fussy/unforgiving about exposure, though. I
shot a lot of it for a while, but went back to Provia, which has enough snap
crackle and pop for my needs and the highlights don't burn holes in the
stuff quite so badly.

Fuji _claim_ it's their most color-accurate slide film. It gets a bad rep
amongst landscape types, who want the dizzy Velvia 50 colors. But that makes
it the right thing for cars.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I would 2nd the suggestion for Velvia 100F. Outstanding film and would
work well for car shots. I've gotten good results with Astia, although
it is not as saturated, and Ektachrome 100VS, which is almost as
saturated as Velvia.

My shot on this page was done on 100VS although I don't think the scan
shows the real saturation and snap:

http://www.shutterbug.net/picture_this/1203sb_picture/

Karl
http://www.karlwinkler.com