Rolleiflex Lens Cap and Hood Question

Old July 17th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Default Rolleiflex Lens Cap and Hood Question

hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i currently
use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used market. before
that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

thanks in advance.

-
woody

Old July 17th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bob Salomon

In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i currently
use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used market. before
that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

thanks in advance.

-
woody

No.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old July 18th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i currently
use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used market. before
that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

thanks in advance.

-
woody

No.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

please ... tell me some details :-)

Old July 18th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Steven Woody wrote:
Bob Salomon wrote:
In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i currently
use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used market. before
that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

thanks in advance.

-
woody

No.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

please ... tell me some details :-)

actually, i am thinking if i can keep my habit in SLR days of almost
always taking on a lens hood in TLR days and still without taking rise
of lens damage.

Old July 18th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart

"Steven Woody" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steven Woody wrote:
Bob Salomon wrote:
In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i
currently
use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used market.
before
that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

thanks in advance.

-
woody

No.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

please ... tell me some details :-)

actually, i am thinking if i can keep my habit in SLR days of almost
always taking on a lens hood in TLR days and still without taking rise
of lens damage.

If I understand your question, you want to be able to put a lens cap on only
one of the two lenses. I would not want to own a lens cap that fits on the
taking lens and does not also cover (at least partially) the viewing lens.
The first time you shoot a roll of film with the lens cap on the taking
lens, you'll agree with me!

If you want to keep a lens hood on the taking lens all the time and just
cover the viewing lens when not in use, you should be able to find a third
party TLR lens cap that you could cut apart, and _throw_away_ the part for
the taking lens.

Ken Hart

Old July 18th 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Ken Hart wrote:
"Steven Woody" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steven Woody wrote:
Bob Salomon wrote:
In article .com,
"Steven Woody" wrote:

[...]

i do agree. in my first roll of TLR, some frames are totally darkness
for i forgot take off the lens cap from the taking lens :-) but, i
think, i will learn and not to forget that while i shoot more and more.

If you want to keep a lens hood on the taking lens all the time and just
cover the viewing lens when not in use, you should be able to find a third
party TLR lens cap that you could cut apart, and _throw_away_ the part for
the taking lens.

i understand your method and i've already have a pair of third party
lens caps. what i am not sure is that, when with the lens cap covered
on the viewing lens, can i still screw in the Rollei lens hood? i am
afraid the thickness of the viewing lens cap might block the Rollei
lens hood from screwing in the taking lens. hope you understand what i
mean.

because of the TLR design, i am now wondering how many Rollei TLR users
quite often use lens hood? it's not convenient to use, isn't it?

-
woody

Ken Hart

Old July 18th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Steven Woody wrote:
hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i
currently use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used
market. before that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

The caps are one piece, hinged in the middle. You can keep the viewing lens
portion on at anytime (not good if you want to see anything on the ground
glass). You cannot put the taking lens portion on when a lens hood is
present.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old July 18th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Steven Woody wrote:
because of the TLR design, i am now wondering how many Rollei TLR
users quite often use lens hood? it's not convenient to use, isn't it?

Always, it's not *inconvenient*...take off the lens cap, put it in your
pocket, put on the lenshood. When finished with the camera for the day,
reverse the preceding. The lenshood case will fit on either the camera
strap or the strap on the never-ready camera case.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old July 18th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

dadiOH wrote:
Steven Woody wrote:
hi.

since my second-hand rolleiflex gets no lens cap and hood ( i
currently use third-party products ), so i wanna buy them in used
market. before that, i have a questions need your help.

when take on the lens hood, can i

1) still take on the lens cap for the viewing lens
2) still take on the lens cap for the taking lens?

The caps are one piece, hinged in the middle. You can keep the viewing lens
portion on at anytime (not good if you want to see anything on the ground
glass). You cannot put the taking lens portion on when a lens hood is
present.

it looks different with my SLR, for which lens cap can be taken on the
hood while the hood is on the lens, so i can always get the hood on the
camera while i was wandering on the streat, and quick take off the cap
from the hood when find something worth a shoot.

seems i should refresh my mind before come into TLR's world :-)

Old July 18th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

dadiOH wrote:
Steven Woody wrote:
because of the TLR design, i am now wondering how many Rollei TLR
users quite often use lens hood? it's not convenient to use, isn't it?

Always, it's not *inconvenient*...take off the lens cap, put it in your
pocket, put on the lenshood. When finished with the camera for the day,
reverse the preceding.

you mean exposuring the two lens out to the air for whole day? i am so
afraid this will increse opportunities of damaging the lens.

The lenshood case will fit on either the camera
strap or the strap on the never-ready camera case.

you mean that the camera strap has a place for holding lens hood case?
really? i have not yet own a strap for the TLR, if so, i think i should
go to buy one.