Malfunctioning LCD Screen

Old March 8th 05, 03:54 AM
Scott

Default Malfunctioning LCD Screen

My son's Canon Powershot SD200 digital camera made it through five
months in Iraq. On a trip back for leave, half the LCD screen
wouldn't work when he turned it on to take a picture. Shortly
thereafter, the screen went out entirely. It still lights up, but
it shows spiderlike cracks radiating out from a point in the
lower right. There is no picture displayed. We took it into Best
Buy under their 4-year Performance Service Plan (which covers
"normal wear and tear"). They said that while the clear plastic
protective screen shows no scratches or dents and the camera
case has no scuffs or dents from being dropped...that pressure
from someone or some object was somehow applied to the plastic
covering to the LCD screen, which inflexed enough to crack the
LCD screen underneath. And this is considered "abuse". He has
no idea how it happened. He said the screen just "went". Anyway,
Best Buy will not cover the repair. A call to Canon indicated
that the warranty would apply (it's 3 months old) as long as there
is no indication of blunt force trauma to the LCD screen. If so,
the repair would run a minimum of $150.00 + shipping. It's a $299.00
camera, and our son likes it a lot. We got a refund on Best Buy's
$59.99 4-year performance plan (pro-rated to $56.00). The question
is...is this camera worth repairing...or should he bit the bullet
and replace it with a new one? Also, could any local camera repair
shop successfully tackle a job like this?

Thanks!
Scott
Old March 8th 05, 04:12 AM
Drifter

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:54:01 -0600, Scott wrote:

My son's Canon Powershot SD200 digital camera made it through five
months in Iraq. On a trip back for leave, half the LCD screen
wouldn't work when he turned it on to take a picture. Shortly
thereafter, the screen went out entirely.

---snip----
Probably wouldn't be worth the effort to replace. I'm a
tinkerer/fixer by nature and I hate the "throw away" mentality of this
country but with certain items (mostly electronics) repair attempts
are almost always a waste of time sigh.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old March 8th 05, 05:49 AM
C J Campbell

It is definitely not worth repairing. The LCD screen is the most fragile
part of most digital cameras, I'm afraid. A replacement screen will cost
more than the camera is worth. Used SD200 digital cameras go for between
$100 and $150 on e-Bay.

And don't ever buy one of those extended warranties, either. You just found
out how much they are really worth.

Old March 8th 05, 11:35 AM
John

bite the bullet and get a new one for your son, hey even get him an upgrade!
Just doesn't seem worth $150 repair for $299 camera (to me).

Old March 8th 05, 02:15 PM
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

My motorola mobile phone made it through 6 months army life in Rhodes, east
greece, and just a week before I was discharged the lcd went crazy.The army
life can put a great stress on many items of everyday life.I tried, of
course, to repair it, but it was not worth the effort, the new screen
includin shipping and technician wages would cost more than the mobile
itself, so my sister got me a new one.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Old March 8th 05, 02:42 PM

Scott wrote:

[...]

http://www.bestbuysux.org/

Welcome to the store warranty scam. They made 3.99 off of you. I
personally hate bestbuy. They seem to be the worst of the breed.

You might ebay it or search ebay. I have a sony p-32 that had the
flash fail at 14 months. For thirty bucks, I'd buy another that died
from other causes. Maybe someone has a dead lense motor and wants
yours or wants you to want his.

I thank your son for his service to my country.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.
Old March 8th 05, 06:41 PM
scott

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

The LCD will be relatively easy to replace yourself if you've ever taken
anything like this apart before. It will just have one (or maybe two)
connectors to the main camera board. A few screws/clips should let you at
it.

As for the cost, I doubt that Canon paid more than $20 for the LCD, but they
will likely sell it to you for at least 4x that price.

As someone else has already said, try and get hold of one that has broken
for other reasons.

Old March 8th 05, 09:34 PM
Scott

http://www.bestbuysux.org/

Welcome to the store warranty scam. They made 3.99 off of you. I
personally hate bestbuy. They seem to be the worst of the breed.

You might ebay it or search ebay. I have a sony p-32 that had the
flash fail at 14 months. For thirty bucks, I'd buy another that died
from other causes. Maybe someone has a dead lense motor and wants
yours or wants you to want his.

I thank your son for his service to my country.

Wes

Wes,

I'll pass your thanks on to our son, Paul, for his service to our country.
He's involved in very dangerous work in Iraq, and it means a lot to him
when people he doesn't even know go out of their way to thank him. He has
several months more to go. He just returned to MN for a two-week leave,
and he got to hold his one-month old daughter, Kelsi, for the first time.
(it's his first child). You've never seen such a proud father

Yes, we'll replace his camera for him. That'll give him one less thing
to worry about.

Thanks again!
Scott
Old March 9th 05, 12:16 AM
Scott

Larry wrote:

In article , says...
Wes,

I'll pass your thanks on to our son, Paul, for his service to our country.
He's involved in very dangerous work in Iraq, and it means a lot to him
when people he doesn't even know go out of their way to thank him. He has
several months more to go. He just returned to MN for a two-week leave,
and he got to hold his one-month old daughter, Kelsi, for the first time.
(it's his first child). You've never seen such a proud father

Yes, we'll replace his camera for him. That'll give him one less thing
to worry about.

Thanks again!
Scott

Pass a thank you from a Viet Nam era sailor (and a hat tip and salute) to the
brave young man in your family.

I just watched "We were Soldiers" last night, and couldn't keep a dry eye..

I agree with General (ret) Hal Moore that The American Fighting Soldier is
the bravest, smartest, quickest and toughest ever to take the field in
battle.

My heart and my mind go with them. I think of them EVERY day.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry,

Yes, indeed. I'll pass your personal thanks on to our son when we talk with
him tomorrow. Coincidentally, he gave us a "We Were Soldiers" DVD some time
back, abut my wife and I haven't watched it yet. I think now is the time to
do so. I'm a Vietnam veteran myself (Bien Hoa AFB, South Vietnam...1969-70).
At least in 'nam, we knew where the safe areas were. From what our son tells
us about Iraq, nowhere is safe. They're up against incredible odds. I wonder
how long any of us could go on with only four hours of sleep a day and never
knowing when a hidden bomb is going to go off along the roadway. I agree with
you, today's young men and women soldiers are "simply the best"...and I never
stop telling him how proud all Americans are of he and his buddies. He showed
us the recent pictures of his unit in Iraq, and these guys truly are a "band
of brothers". They're in our prayers every day.

Scott Persons
Brainerd, MN