Zoom camera with large bright viewfinder options?

Old February 11th 05, 06:23 PM
justareader

Default Zoom camera with large bright viewfinder options?

I've been shopping the closeout deals for a 10 X optical zoom camera.

So far The Minolta Z1 and the Olympus C 740 seem to meet my zoom lens
requirements. I will be using the camera primarily for snapshots but
plan on using the high zoom factor to help compose the shots. I have
a tripod with standard 1/4 thread for longer distance pictures.

My vision is poor especially in low light, and I also have trouble
with incident light so I am looking for a camera with a large, bright
shielded viewfinder image.

I have read a lot about the low resolution of the EV and reflected
LCD viewfinders. This is not as much a concern for me as are
brightness and shielding from incident light.

Is the reflected LCD of the Minolta Dimage Z1 as bright as the EV
displays?

I was also looking around at eye cup options. Ideally I would like to
remove all the incident light and have the viewfinder image appear
large, taking up as much of my field of vision as possible. I was
hoping to get results similar to viewing through a good monocular.

The only product that looked like it might eliminate all incident
light was an LCD viewer with a magnification loop. The
Xtend-a-View Pro Mini fits over the 1.5 inch LCD and the eye cup looks
as though it would remove any incident light. Anyone know how this
might compare to viewing the LCD through the Z1 mirror arrangement?

I was thinking of just gluing a rubber eye cup over the z1 viewfinder
if the image is otherwise large and bright enough.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old February 12th 05, 02:19 AM
Robert Morrisette

"justareader" wrote in message
I've been shopping the closeout deals for a 10 X optical zoom camera.

So far The Minolta Z1 and the Olympus C 740 seem to meet my zoom lens
requirements. I will be using the camera primarily for snapshots but
plan on using the high zoom factor to help compose the shots. I have
a tripod with standard 1/4 thread for longer distance pictures.

My vision is poor especially in low light, and I also have trouble
with incident light so I am looking for a camera with a large, bright
shielded viewfinder image.

I was thinking of just gluing a rubber eye cup over the z1 viewfinder
if the image is otherwise large and bright enough.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Suggest you look at the Panasonic Z3 12X zoom. Now about $280.

Sabu

Old February 12th 05, 03:15 AM
justareader

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:19:27 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
wrote:

Panasonic Z3

Thanks for the input.

The Panasonic looks like it might be a better choice. Image
stabilizer would be real nice with a long lens. I've pretty much
given up the idea of doing manual focus anyways so that option won't
be missed.

Looks like a larger rubber eye cup would slide over that viewfinder
fairly easy as well.