Some different Nikon News

Old February 18th 12, 01:59 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default Some different Nikon News

On 2012-02-16 19:48 , Savageduck wrote:
I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon
repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

Regarding the web page above, there were a few ridiculous points, the
worse being:

QUOTE
If you depend on your camera for work, as Jarvie does, having to mail
your camera in to be fixed will cost you more than just the price of the
repair: lost business, shipping costs, and time lost waiting for the
Postal Service to shuttle the camera back and forth.
UNQUOTE

Really? Does the writer REALLY believe Jarvie has a single camera?

As to Nikon I believe the policy as stated is absolutely stupid - UNLESS
it also allows more shops to qualify as Nikon repair stations.

I know a few local press photogs who are stuck with paper owned Nikon
gear that they have to cycle through a Nikon approved service. The
service is very good (quality) but slow in time. No real issue - they
have plenty of spare bodies, lenses and flashes. For others it could be
a drag.

I see no mention of NPS, either.

--
Peter
Old February 18th 12, 02:35 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/16/2012 7:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/

I am normally highly in favor of small business. While there are many
good and decent repair services, I have also heard of some pretty bad
screw ups. The screwed up cameras frequently end up at Nikon repair
services, who then charge a lot for the fix. Indeed the repair has to
cover the cost of the botch, plus what it would have cost anyway. The
consumer then blames Nikon for overcharging, while forgetting that the
sloppy repair was the cause.
I live about 10 minutes from Nikon and have found them to be fair and
reasonable in their policies. My main bitch is that they will not repair
older models and older lenses.
If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell the
professional line.

--
Peter
Old February 18th 12, 02:51 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-17 17:35:58 -0800, PeterN said:

[...]

You are fortunate to have Nikon 10 minutes from your home. You might
have noted the disassembled camera was a D70. These folks will repair
older models, they do not touch lenses. It seems that Nikon USA is
going to deny small repair businesses such as Ifixit the parts to
repair older and discontinued cameras you have noted they will not
repair.

As far as botched repairs by unqualified folks, I agree, they have no
reason to complain if Nikon fixing things results in a higher charge.
That is a risk they took. However with regard to diagnostics with
electronic devices such as digital cameras and computers they are more
than competent.

....and for me they are only 40 minutes from where I live.

Savageduck

Old February 18th 12, 03:18 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/17/2012 8:51 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2012-02-17 17:35:58 -0800, PeterN said:

[...]

that had something to do with my decision to stick with Nikon when I
went digital.

You might
have noted the disassembled camera was a D70. These folks will repair
older models, they do not touch lenses. It seems that Nikon USA is going
to deny small repair businesses such as Ifixit the parts to repair older
and discontinued cameras you have noted they will not repair.

For how long should a manufacturer continue to manufacture parts for
obsolete models.

I have an Abu-Garcia fishing reel. circa 1971 and made in France. The
new ones are pure junk. When I need parts I go to some guy who has
stocked old reels that he acquired for parts. I would not be surprised
if a cannibal industry grew up.

Old February 18th 12, 03:33 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:53:54 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:
: On 2012-02-17 18:06 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
:
: But absolutely having to have two cameras (or three if you believe you
: need two working ones to take to a gig) is itself a cost, and a rather
: large one.
:
: I don't know of any pro photog who brings less than 2 cameras to a gig,
: event, shoot, wedding, etc. His fees depend on taking photos at the
: time needed, not making excuses about failed eqt. Another commercial
: photographer nearby always has 3 cameras (sports, medical, etc.).
: Another brings 2 identical rigs (everything from cameras to lenses to
: lighting) to every wedding.
:
: The capital is depreciated at 20% per year making it a sliver of annual
: revenue. A couple news photogs I know always have 3 cameras, each with
: the 1 of the holy trinity lenes mounted. Saves time switching. Those
: cameras are owned by the paper, however. (Who still lay it off at
: 20%/year).

I usually carry two to an event or, say, a building construction tour, where
it would be hard to stop and change lenses. But I draw the line there. I can't
really imagine how I'd juggle three.

I actually think that this may have come up in one of the newsgroups some
years back and that one of the participants lectured me on how it's possible
to carry more than two. But I'm afraid I remain unconvinced. Maybe if I were
thirty years younger, ... :^)

Bob
Old February 18th 12, 04:27 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:51:01 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-17 17:35:58 -0800, PeterN said:

[...]

The Nikon repair centre in Auckland was about 30 minutes drive from
where I live. The last camera I had repaired there was a FM (not a FM1
or FM2, but a genuine FM) whose meter had stopped working. That was
about two years ago.

Since then Nikon agents have bought the privately owned repair centre
and moved it into there own premises. Maybe its part of a worldwide
drive to concentrate all repairs in Nikon's own hands. Who knows?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 18th 12, 04:02 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:
[...]

I didn't say they took all three out of the car for every event.

I actually think that this may have come up in one of the newsgroups some
years back and that one of the participants lectured me on how it's possible
to carry more than two. But I'm afraid I remain unconvinced. Maybe if I were
thirty years younger, ... :^)

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA. Was really a
PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken across different rolls
of film. Even with digital the sequencing is not linear v. the events.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 18th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:02:22 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA. Was really a
PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken across different rolls
of film. Even with digital the sequencing is not linear v. the events.

Quite easy to sort/rename etc files via date/timestamp. I don't see
how this is a real issue. And yes I do use multiple cameras.
Old February 18th 12, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
K W Hart

wrote:
[...]

Since my camera is a working tool, I find it a requirement to have and carry
spares. I shoot the Canon FX (1964-69) 35mm SLR. I have 475 camera bodies
and over 600 various lenses for them. I think I'm covered for spares!
Ken

Old February 18th 12, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA. Was really a
PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken across different rolls
of film. Even with digital the sequencing is not linear v. the events.

Quite easy to sort/rename etc files via date/timestamp. I don't see
how this is a real issue. And yes I do use multiple cameras.

Where did I say that couldn't be done?

What can't be done (conveniently) is frame numbering per the order of
the events. (In Bridge IAC).

Nikon non-news Me Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 10th 10 07:59 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - call for pictures N 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 6th 07 11:33 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 July 5th 07 09:19 PM