CRV3s vs AA NiMH batteries

Old June 26th 04, 01:58 PM
Ken F.

Default CRV3s vs AA NiMH batteries

Phil Wheeler wrote in message ...

http://www.nexcellglobal.com/i1a.htm
(look at the figures in the OVERALL PERFORMANCE COMPARISON CHART)
I don't think it is what they meant to say, even thought they do sell
NiMH too.

My impression from reading the NexCell website is that they did some
sort of lab duty cycle test -- vs. using a camera.

That appears to be true. But regardless of the method used, it doesn't
seem that the NiMh's should rate better than the the CRV3. So out of
curiosity I emailed Nexcell as follows:

I am wondering about the accuracy of the figures shown he
http://www.nexcellglobal.com/i1a.htm
It suggests that the 2200 mah NiMh batteries should be superior to either
rechargeable or disposable CRV3's. Is that correct?

And received the following (surprising) response:

Actually, Ni-MH battery is better choice, but some application can't
hold AA battery,they only accept RCRV3.
Another advantage of using RCRV3 is light weight, just imaging
that you need couple backup batteries in your pocket, RCRV3 is
pretty much light way to carry on.

[name omitted, Z*** Z**]
Tech person
NEXcell US Office

KF
Old June 26th 04, 03:39 PM
Phil Wheeler

Georgette Preddy wrote:

I would REALLY like to know what camera they get 2200 shots from a set
of AA NIHM batteries! I get 150-200, at best.

An SD9 will get 1000-2000 from 2200mah NiMHs, but that's with 8 of them.

Good lord. That must be one heavy camera with 8 AA cells. An odd
choice. Are they series or in two parallel sets of four each?

Phil

Old June 26th 04, 03:44 PM
Phil Wheeler

Truly interesting. But not what other vendors are saying, and it does
not match my experience. Of course, I am not using NexCell NiMH cells :-)

Phil

Old June 26th 04, 08:45 PM
Ron Hunter

Ken F. wrote:
[...]

Funny, it seems to me that all the cameras I know of, or have heard of,
will use EITHER AA or CRV3/RCRV3 batteries.
Old June 26th 04, 08:46 PM
Ron Hunter

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Georgette Preddy wrote:

I would REALLY like to know what camera they get 2200 shots from a
set of AA NIHM batteries! I get 150-200, at best.

An SD9 will get 1000-2000 from 2200mah NiMHs, but that's with 8 of them.

Good lord. That must be one heavy camera with 8 AA cells. An odd
choice. Are they series or in two parallel sets of four each?

Phil

I think the OP means a battery pack (belt pack), not IN camera pack.
Old June 26th 04, 09:52 PM
Phil Wheeler

Ron Hunter wrote:

Funny, it seems to me that all the cameras I know of, or have heard of,
will use EITHER AA or CRV3/RCRV3 batteries.

The ones I've owned would. But I've seen a few that will not. In
Greece last month a member of our group had brought a new camera and was
using alkalines. I had extra AA NiMH and loaned him a set and recharged
it for him every couple of days. Don't recall the camera brand, but the
batteries installed in a sort of offset fashion, not in pairs.

Phil

Old June 26th 04, 11:05 PM
Ron Hunter

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

Funny, it seems to me that all the cameras I know of, or have heard
of, will use EITHER AA or CRV3/RCRV3 batteries.

The ones I've owned would. But I've seen a few that will not. In
Greece last month a member of our group had brought a new camera and was
using alkalines. I had extra AA NiMH and loaned him a set and recharged
it for him every couple of days. Don't recall the camera brand, but the
batteries installed in a sort of offset fashion, not in pairs.

Phil

That would make use of RCRV3 or CRV3 impossible, but how do you make a
camera that won't use AA but will use CRV3? Isn't that what the OP said?
Old June 26th 04, 11:17 PM
Phil Wheeler

Ron Hunter wrote:

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

Funny, it seems to me that all the cameras I know of, or have heard
of, will use EITHER AA or CRV3/RCRV3 batteries.

The ones I've owned would. But I've seen a few that will not. In
Greece last month a member of our group had brought a new camera and
was using alkalines. I had extra AA NiMH and loaned him a set and
recharged it for him every couple of days. Don't recall the camera
brand, but the batteries installed in a sort of offset fashion, not in
pairs.

Phil

That would make use of RCRV3 or CRV3 impossible, but how do you make a
camera that won't use AA but will use CRV3? Isn't that what the OP said?

What he said is quoted above. It is open to interpretation. But since
he said

Funny, it seems to me that all the cameras I know of, or have heard
of, will use EITHER AA or CRV3/RCRV3 batteries.

I took it to mean what I replied to.

And if you read the discussion at Steve's site, they make a point of
saying when you should NOT use the CR-V3/RCR-V3 based on configuration.
If there is not a ridge in the two-cell compartment for the two AAs,
it would be easy to insert the RCR-V3 backwards, with dire results.

Phil

Old June 27th 04, 09:02 AM
Ron Hunter

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

[...]

The OP said that it couldn't take AA batteries, but could take CRV3. I
meant to say that I haven't heard of any camera that can't take AA if it
will work with CRV3.