RECOMMENDED FILM RETRIEVER ?

Old December 4th 05, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default RECOMMENDED FILM RETRIEVER ?

I have a Konica film retriever - no written instructions and the 'guide
by symbols'on the retriever irself is useless: I just can't get it to
work!

I'll be grateful if someone can recommend a retriever that's easy to
use; is the version by Ilford OK?

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK.

Old December 4th 05, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Konica film retriever - no written instructions and the 'guide
by symbols'on the retriever irself is useless: I just can't get it to
work!

I'll be grateful if someone can recommend a retriever that's easy to
use; is the version by Ilford OK?

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK.

I have the Ilford*, came with a spare set of tongues, chosen because I
thought its "film" tongues would do less damage than one with thin metal
tongues. I have the printed instruction sheet, and it takes me several
attempts whenever I need to use it. I've even given up some times, and it's
worked perfectly when I went back to the cassette. Seems to me that lots,
and lots of practice is necessary. I expect that a lot depends on how the
film was wound in the camera, and for how long, and for how long it's been
in the cassette. (No experience with any other type.)
*and I've had to repair it because the plastic handles broke. It's still
usable.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old December 4th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in
ups.com:

I have a Konica film retriever - no written instructions and the 'guide
by symbols'on the retriever irself is useless: I just can't get it to
work!

I'll be grateful if someone can recommend a retriever that's easy to
use; is the version by Ilford OK?

'Generic' brand from B&H, works fine:
http://tinyurl.com/9jkar

Close both tongues together, insert in cassette so curve follows
shape of cassette, up to the stop flange.

Withdraw the bottom/inside tongue.

'Rewind' film until faint tap is heard from film leader flopping past
the cassette opening.

Re-insert bottom/inside tongue.

Withdraw both at once. Might take 2-3 tries as practice.

** You can also use a piece of film and a piece of double-stick tape.

Affix tape to film on same side as leader tongue - with cassette held
upright in front of you, protruding reel towards top, this will be the top
edge of the film.

'Rewind' the film cassette several times, listening for that tap of
the leader passing the opening, until you know just when it will happen.
Helps to look at the winding tabs inside the end of the reel, see where
they're pointing when the tap occurs.

Rewind until *just before* the tap occurs again. Insert your double-
sticked film a short ways into the cassette, just enough to get the sticky
tape all the way inside.

Rewind some more, you should get the tap, and will likely start to
draw in your stickyed film.

Pull out your film.

You can do the exact same thing with a piece of film that's slightly
wet - they adhere together. But this is a lot trickier. The double-stick
tape has worked effortlessly for me every time.

Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old December 4th 05, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Konica film retriever - no written instructions and the 'guide
by symbols'on the retriever irself is useless: I just can't get it to
work!

I'll be grateful if someone can recommend a retriever that's easy to
use; is the version by Ilford OK?

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK.

I bought a generic brand about 30 years ago and I've never had to open the
package. But I carry it in the bag everywhere.

Norm

Old December 4th 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

B&H and Adorama sell "house brand" retrievers that work jes'fine. The
biggest problem is losing them.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
ups.com...

Old December 4th 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Is this a recommendation? ....:^)

Old December 4th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"William Graham" wrote in message

Is this a recommendation? ....:^)

I'm not sure, as I've never used any other type.
I don't know whether I'm ham fisted, or whether the efficacy depends on film
curl etc. I do have all my film bodies set to "rewind with leader out" where
that's an option, so that must tell you something. Others I've spoken to
report similar experiences with their favourite device.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK