Some old railway pictures

Old January 17th 09, 10:01 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus[_3_]

Default Some old railway pictures

I wandered around a bit and took some pics around an old train station.
Comments welcome.
I'm curious which you like (if any) and why.
http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/

--
Focus

Old January 17th 09, 10:39 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Focus wrote:
I wandered around a bit and took some pics around an old train station.
Comments welcome.
I'm curious which you like (if any) and why.
http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/

Nice magic hour colors.

The close to the rail shots are usually done with something like a
tunnel or bridge structure to have linked elements. When really lucky
the rail is so polished that there is a mirror image of whatever is out
there.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 17th 09, 10:47 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus[_3_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
I wandered around a bit and took some pics around an old train station.
Comments welcome.
I'm curious which you like (if any) and why.
http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/

Nice magic hour colors.

The close to the rail shots are usually done with something like a tunnel
or bridge structure to have linked elements. When really lucky the rail
is so polished that there is a mirror image of whatever is out there.

Thanks. I want to take a walk to the end where there is an old bridge, but I
still haven't figured out how I can get there. The tracks are still used
daily, so walking there might not be legal.

Pictures 8-10 have a little bit of a mirror, but the train doesn't "polish"
them enough ;-)

--
Focus

Old January 18th 09, 01:11 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
measekite

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:01:25 +0000, Focus wrote:

I wandered around a bit and took some pics around an old train station.
Comments welcome.
I'm curious which you like (if any) and why.
http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/

The pix are ok. I usually do not do better but do no worse either. I
would like to learn how to get to the next step where the photos are not
just of a documentary nature like those shown but are artistic. That is
the hurdle I would like to overcome.
Old January 18th 09, 01:45 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jim evans[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:11:48 GMT, measekite
wrote:

I would like to learn how to get to the next step where the photos are not
just of a documentary nature like those shown but are artistic. That is
the hurdle I would like to overcome.

I think you either have it or you don't. I spent years trying and
never took a picture I really liked, so I quit trying.

If you have this innate ability you can improve on it and refine it
with study, but if you don't have it, study won't help. I know good
photographs when I see them, I just can't create them.

I'd been working a it for 30 years. I had the technical aspects down
pat, when a new, young employee in my wife's office bought a camera.
She knew I had a darkroom and asked my wife it I would show her how to
develop pictures. She brought over her first roll. As they came out
of the developer, one after another was superb. I didn't pick up a
camera again, except for a few documentary shots, for almost 20 years.
Old January 18th 09, 02:30 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:47:57 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

Thanks. I want to take a walk to the end where there is an old bridge, but I
still haven't figured out how I can get there. The tracks are still used
daily, so walking there might not be legal.

If you walk on the tracks you will definitely draw the angry attention of the
railroad... where I am, photogs get a ticket to pay... unless the cop doesn't
like you in which case you get a court date... or could be hauled in as a
suspected terrorist...

If you must wander down there, stay 15' from the track, for your own safety... I
know too many people who got injured or killed on the tracks... one guy tripped
over something and knocked himself out on the tracks, another guy got spooked by
a train and got his boot heel trapped in a switch when he turned around...

one time in the shops someone brought in the walky-talky of an employee, it had
been cut in half - they wear them across the chest...

I generally ignore obvious photogs if they are NOT on the tracks, else I call it
in.

Bob
railway guy

Old January 18th 09, 04:40 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
measekite

wrote:

[...]

Believe me I know how you feel. But I have been told that if you look at
good photographs, get your techniques down, you will get better. They say
it is a matter of visualizing what you see wherever you are and just snap
away.
Old January 18th 09, 05:49 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

"measekite" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:45:48 -0600, jim evans wrote:

Believe me I know how you feel. But I have been told that if you look at
good photographs, get your techniques down, you will get better. They say
it is a matter of visualizing what you see wherever you are and just snap
away.

Have you made your mind up yet on what to buy?

Old January 18th 09, 08:22 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John O'Flaherty

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:01:25 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

I wandered around a bit and took some pics around an old train station.
Comments welcome.
I'm curious which you like (if any) and why.
http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/

I like the first picture, because it divides in half vertically, then
it divides horizontally on the left side, and in thirds on the right
side. All the parts are interesting and contrastive - the texture of
wall on the left and the trees above, then the road, which curves
mysteriously down, and supports the shadow of the nearer tree, which
has an interesting shape. The falloff on the right side of the road
gives a sweep all the way across the picture, and the hills in the
center distance are interesting. The sky is nice too. The detail of
the grassy line on the left side of the road makes it easy to imagine
jogging along it, soon to be cruising downhill.
--
John
Old January 18th 09, 10:46 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems measekite wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:01:25 +0000, Focus wrote:

I wandered around a bit and took some pics around an old train station.
Comments welcome.
I'm curious which you like (if any) and why.
http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/

The pix are ok. I usually do not do better but do no worse either. I
would like to learn how to get to the next step where the photos are not
just of a documentary nature like those shown but are artistic. That is
the hurdle I would like to overcome.

Read a textbook on technique and a textbook on composition. The first
skill you need to develop is to be able to explain what features of a
good artistic photograph make it good.

Find some shots you like of your neighborhood taken by a good
photographer. Work out why they're better than yours. Go there and try
to duplicate them.

--
Chris Malcolm