Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements / Apple or PC?

Old July 23rd 05, 11:11 PM
John Phillips

Default Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements / Apple or PC?

By just buying Elements, would I miss out on much?

Second question, what is best to store and manipulate photos on - Apple or
PC?

(Not a troll btw!)

--

If you trade freedom for security, you get neither.

Old July 24th 05, 12:20 AM
G.T.

"John Phillips" wrote in message
By just buying Elements, would I miss out on much?

Not really, if Elements 3.0 didn't crash every 10 minutes on my Mac I'd
stick to using it over PS CS. Although I am starting to get into actions
which I think are only available in CS and older versions of the full
Photoshop.

Second question, what is best to store and manipulate photos on - Apple or
PC?

Whatever floats your boat. Color management is much more convenient on the
Mac, though. I use my Mac because that's the system in my home with the
best monitor attached to it.

Greg

Old July 24th 05, 12:52 AM
Paul Mitchum

John Phillips wrote:

By just buying Elements, would I miss out on much?

Yes. Whether you need that stuff is up to you.

Second question, what is best to store and manipulate photos on - Apple or
PC?

(Not a troll btw!)

Har. :-)

I haven't tried the new Mac OS (Tiger), but I hear Spotlight (the search
system) can do searches based on EXIF and other forms of metadata.
Old July 24th 05, 01:12 AM
Cockpit Colin

Second question, what is best to store and manipulate photos on - Apple or
PC?

(Not a troll btw!)

I'm in the PC business and used to rent office space inside a Mac sales and
support company - it made for some fun debates!

Trying to put all bias aside, the same program (albeit Mac -v- PC code)
should function in the same way on either platform. Macs used to have a
massive stronghold in the graphics and education markets, but in the last
figures I saw (several years ago) PCs had overtaken them - proportionally
though, the Mac share was still quite remarkable - they had something like
3% of the world market, yet around 50% of the graphics market.

I'm not sure what they're up to these days - but I do know that PC hardware
has dropped in cost to a ridiculous value - to the point where just one
major app like photoshop costs me more than the basic hardware to run it

Old July 24th 05, 02:16 AM
CFB

John wrote:

By just buying Elements, would I miss out on much?

Not really any huge difference when it comes to photography only. But go
to the book store and check out "Photoshop CS for Digital
Photographers". Then look for an Elements book of the same ilk.

Second question, what is best to store and manipulate photos on - Apple or
PC?

Apple Macintosh hands down. It's more stable, does not get afflicted
with spyware and viruses, and it has been the artist's choice for a
decade for a reason.

(Not a troll btw!)

--

http://home.nc.rr.com/christianbonanno/
Old July 24th 05, 02:25 AM
CFB

"Cockpit Colin" wrote:

I'm not sure what they're up to these days - but I do know that PC hardware
has dropped in cost to a ridiculous value -

You get what you pay for. ;^)

Anyway, the new Mac Mini's are coming out soon. $500. I would say it is
worth looking into.

Peace out.

--

http://home.nc.rr.com/christianbonanno/
Old July 24th 05, 08:10 AM
David J Taylor

CFB wrote:
[]
Anyway, the new Mac Mini's are coming out soon. $500. I would say it
is worth looking into.

Isn't anyone buying a non-Intel Mac today buying into a dying product
line?

David

Old July 24th 05, 01:32 PM
Dick Muldoon

David J Taylor wrote:
CFB wrote:
[]

Anyway, the new Mac Mini's are coming out soon. $500. I would say it
is worth looking into.

Isn't anyone buying a non-Intel Mac today buying into a dying product
line?

David

I just converted back to Mac (Tiger) from XP -- it wasn't cheap, but it
was the right move for me. Photoshop operates the same on both
platforms so that's a non-issue. In terms of stability, usability, and
quality of display and color management, however, Mac wins hands down.
For me. It's not cheap, but lots of people find it a better enabler and
a better long-term value for graphics/video/audio work. I certainly do.

Re dying platform, the Mac I bought this year will last me five years
easily. By then Apple will have not only ported OS/X to the Intel
platform -- it's a UNIX core; I'm sure they've done it already -- but
*also* figured out how to run XP or Longhorn or whatever Redmond has
available natively on the Intel chip. Packaged in a box with
Apple-quality physical/system design. I think the upgrade path for
OS/X+apps is pretty exciting and the processor switch a fascinating
opportunity for Apple to get back in the game big time.

Old July 24th 05, 01:51 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Dick Muldoon wrote:

[...]

Microsoft is so far ahead of Mac in terms of stability and graphics/video
work that they don't even look in the rear view mirror to see if they are
gaining. The simple gesture of Mac porting to an Intel chip is a clear
indication of them swallowing massive quantities of crow while drowning.

Rita

Old July 24th 05, 02:27 PM
Conrad

Hi,

At home, I'm using a 14" Apple iBook with OS X (10.3.9) and PS CS2. I
also have PS Elements 3 on the machine. I find CS2 very nice to work
with and particularly like the Bridge program (with slide show feature
to see full screen pics easily).

I have a Gateway laptop with Win XP gathering dust in my closet. It has
PS Elements 2 on it. But I seldom (never) use it. Why?

The Mac is just so much more -elegent!-

Best,

Conrad

--