Canonet GIII 17

Old September 10th 04, 07:18 PM
Patrick L.

Default Canonet GIII 17

I just purchased a Canonet GIII 17 camera from cameraquest.com . It
has a quiet leaf shutter, and a F/1.7 lens. It has been modifed to accept
alkaline batteries.

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this camera? Has anyone
ever used one? What do you think about it? Was $175 a fair price?

Patrick

Old September 10th 04, 08:13 PM
Patrick L.

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
news
"Roger" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:18:27 -0500, "Patrick L."
wrote:

I just purchased a Canonet GIII 17 camera from cameraquest.com .

It
has a quiet leaf shutter, and a F/1.7 lens. It has been modifed to

accept
alkaline batteries.

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this camera? Has

anyone
ever used one? What do you think about it? Was $175 a fair

price?

Patrick

Mr. Gandy is a reputable guy and the camera is worth $175 if you use
it. I still have a Minolta 7sII that isn't as feature rich as the one
you just purchased, but is from that same era. The lens is excellent
and I have to use quickly exhausted Zinc Air hearing aid batteries in
it, but it still gives good results. The lenses were excellent, my
rangefinder is accurate, the strobe ergonomics were a bit cumbersome
but gave good results and the shutters quiet. My shutter release has
an agonizingly long throw (kind of like a plumbers helper) but it has
taken it's share of fun pictures. It was a backpack camera for quite a
while and I have some memorable pictures of the western USA taken with
it.

Have fun. Try at least taking a frame a day as a photo diary, even it
you have to repeat subjects, just to get it into action.

Mr. Gandy is ripping people off at that price--you can get one on Ebay for
$50.

With new light seals and a modification for alkaline batteries? (the merc
batteries are illegal, I hear).

Patrick

Old September 10th 04, 09:37 PM
Alan Browne

Patrick L. wrote:

I just purchased a Canonet GIII 17 camera from cameraquest.com . It
has a quiet leaf shutter, and a F/1.7 lens. It has been modifed to accept
alkaline batteries.

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this camera? Has anyone
ever used one? What do you think about it? Was $175 a fair price?

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/manu...nonetql17.html
User: "free" PW: "manuals"

Old September 10th 04, 10:25 PM
Patrick L.

"Roger" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:03:17 GMT, "Matt Clara"
wrote:

Mr. Gandy is ripping people off at that price--you can get one on Ebay

for
$50.

Hey Matt lighten up and read the fine print. Gandy CLAs the camera,
it's about $125 for any repairman to do that, just check it out. You
may be able to buy one for the price you mention, but if you are
looking for the meter adjustment and a CLA you end up at the same
place. I've checked it out with two independent repairmen in my area
with whom I've done a lot of business and the story is the same.

Regards,
Roger

Thanks Roger, now I don't feel so bad

Patrick

Old September 10th 04, 10:33 PM
ColynG©

wrote:

I just purchased a Canonet GIII 17 camera from cameraquest.com . It
has a quiet leaf shutter, and a F/1.7 lens. It has been modifed to accept
alkaline batteries.

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this camera? Has anyone
ever used one? What do you think about it? Was $175 a fair price?

The Canonet is a fine camera capable of producing excellent pics but
the alkaline cells are a poor substitute. The silver cells would have
been a better choice for conversion..

A s76 fitted with a "0" ring gives nearly the same voltage curve as
the original mercury cell while the alkaline cell starts to lose
voltage as soon as you use the meter which will affect meter
accuracy..

All of my mercury powered cameras and meters have been converted to
silver cells..

Since this camera can be bought on ebay for less than $100, I feel
$175 is a bit steep...

Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng

http://www.colyngoodson.com