1000 year DVDs.

Old November 17th 11, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default 1000 year DVDs.

On 11/16/11 PDT 10:50 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

On 2011-11-15 17:47 , John A. wrote:

I may have mentioned it a while back, possibly in the thread where you
had mentioned the 1000-year DVDs, but I hear tell of a scheme for
storing data in carbon nanotubes with iron particles inside them.
IIRC, they would theoretically be able to hold data for about a
billion years.

I originally mentioned that here (or in the rpe35mm) about 2 years ago.

How important to know that!

IAE, DVDs, BRDs and CDs will go the way of the Dodo bird. 15 years
for the first tier parts of the world (including parts of Canada),
longer for the rest. Some third world countries may use them into the
next C.

CDs have already last about 30 years, which is not bad (longer than LPs
lasted, for example). I think it shows some of the power of 'good
enough .

Oh, to be sure, though, I am talking about technological obsolescence,
not media life. I'm sure some of those media will last more than a C.
Not all of course.
Old November 17th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

On 2011-11-15 17:47 , John A. wrote:

[...]

So was I; I started buying my music on CDs in 1983, and they weren't
brand-new then.

And BluRay drives bought today still read CDs.
Old November 17th 11, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

"J. Clarke" writes:

In article , says...

On 2011-11-15 17:47 , John A. wrote:

I may have mentioned it a while back, possibly in the thread where you
had mentioned the 1000-year DVDs, but I hear tell of a scheme for
storing data in carbon nanotubes with iron particles inside them.
IIRC, they would theoretically be able to hold data for about a
billion years.

I originally mentioned that here (or in the rpe35mm) about 2 years ago.

How important to know that!

IAE, DVDs, BRDs and CDs will go the way of the Dodo bird. 15 years
for the first tier parts of the world (including parts of Canada),
longer for the rest. Some third world countries may use them into the
next C.

CDs have already last about 30 years, which is not bad (longer than LPs
lasted, for example). I think it shows some of the power of 'good
enough .

A minor nit but LPs are still being made. Amazon lists more than
200,000 titles available as "new" vinyl records. And Best Buy carries a
number of brands of turntable, some of which have USB outputs.

I think those two facts show different things, actually. The first is
largely high-end audiophiles who apparently like surface noise, clicks,
and pops, whereas the second is largely people converting existing old
collections. (Serious audiophiles are not buying their turntables at
Best Buy.)

Anyway, it's quite true that LPs are still being made. But I suspect a
large number of consumers are completely unaware of it.
Old November 17th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_12_]

In article ocal, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , says...

On 2011-11-15 17:47 , John A. wrote:

[...]

I for one would never subject my prized collection of LP's to a needle in one
of those cheap USB turntables.
Old November 17th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
isw

In article ,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article ocal, "J.
Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2011-11-15 17:47 , John A. wrote:

[...]

True, those turntables may be less expensive than some, but there has
never been a "needle" on the market that can play those LPs without
causing some damage.

Isaac
Old November 17th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-11-15 18:51 , NM5K wrote:
On 11/15/2011 12:17 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

Despite the past I believe the future of the CD/DVD format will be very
long lasting. It is not tapes and floppy disks.

I'm not as optimistic.. Like one, I think the S/S hard drives, etc
will quickly become more popular. For a given size, they hold a lot
more data. And they will become cheap enough to have multiple devices
for backup and extra safety. Some of the USB devices already are cheap.

I'm sure they will become very popular.

One key issue is that once you store data on a disk or SS device, from
outward glance there is no telling what is on that disk. A label saying
"my photos" is too vague. It may contain a hundred thousand images of
all kinds. Cataloging is going to be a major hassle and somebody faces
with searching the images is in for a long haul.

Like many, I propagate my files (most, not all) on hard disks. As new
very high capacity disks become cheaper they replace the old ones. On
my desk I have 10 TB of storage running. (2 + 4 + 4 : computer (2) and
two multidisk enclosures of 4 TB each). I also have a metal cabinet
(dry, cool) with CD's and DVD's in it. No disk goes more than 5 years
w/o being re-burned.

Despite all that - when I go, there will be nobody to care and maintain
the data. The data on the drives will fade as will that on the DVD's.
Not that there's much to care about.

But if I did have some works worth preserving, I'd want them to be on
separate media that is identifiable and long lasting. Today's "gold"
archival disks are good for 100+ years. I don't recall how long flash
memory is supposed to last - but it is _not_ forever, not even 100 years
(IIRC it is 100 ). SS drives are flash.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old November 17th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-17 11:04:40 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2011-11-17 12:49 , isw wrote:
In ,
(GMAN) wrote:

I for one would never subject my prized collection of LP's to a needle in one
of those cheap USB turntables.

True, those turntables may be less expensive than some, but there has
never been a "needle" on the market that can play those LPs without
causing some damage.

As posted by Eric Stevens:
http://www.audioturntable.com/about/index.html

Aaaagh! $4950 for starters!!

I'll stick with my 1979 vintage Technics direct drive TT and Shure V15 type IV.

Savageduck

Old November 17th 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter Irwin

isw wrote:

True, those turntables may be less expensive than some, but there has
never been a "needle" on the market that can play those LPs without
causing some damage.

The wear that most of us notice on records is caused by dirt,
mistracking or a worn or chipped stylus. If you play clean
records on good equipment what mostly happens is an erosion
of high frequencies caused by the contact shape of the stylus.
The more sophisticated stylus profiles profiles reduce this
considerably. Hyperelliptical styli were originally developed
for playback of CD-4 quadraphonic discs which used an ultrasonic
carrier for front-back information. The ultrasonic information
would still wear off after 25 plays or so, but such styli are
rather kinder to the top audible octave than the simpler profiles.

Peter.