Film is dead!

Old September 25th 04, 01:20 PM
brian

"George" wrote in message

You use a waist level finder on your Nikon F? Why? Just remove the prism
and focus
directly on the focusing screen.

George

Why? For obvious reasons: the waist level finder increases contrast
by blocking stray light, and it has a built-in loupe if you need to
examine the viewfinder image more closely.

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com
Old September 27th 04, 08:06 AM
Wolfgang Exler

"MXP" wrote:

I do take some pictures using film. But I am also interrested in the new
technology. And people here often claims that the best 24x36 films equals
16-20 MP digital. I just want to see some test which proves it. The tests I
see often shows that a 6MP digital has more details than Fuji Velvia....and
I don't like that :-)

How do you compare these Pictures?
If you scan the Velvia picture and compare it with the 6MP picture, the uses
scanner is involved in picture quality
If you do projection, I don't know any beamer which has a resoltion suitale
for 6MP

So how to compare?

Wolfgang

Old September 27th 04, 09:48 AM
Siddhartha Jain

Wolfgang Exler wrote:
How do you compare these Pictures?
If you scan the Velvia picture and compare it with the 6MP picture,

the uses
scanner is involved in picture quality
If you do projection, I don't know any beamer which has a resoltion

suitale
for 6MP

So how to compare?

I am not expert on either film or digital but IMHO, no online review
can do justice to film vs digital comparison for the simple reason that
any film will have to be scanned for posting and scanning is a
second-hand image.

So, to my mind, the only true comparison is to do it yourself. Print
the digital photo on a high-quality inkjet printer or a pro-lab and get
a slide print (Ilfochrome) - both of the same size and then put them
side by side.

Cheers,

Siddhartha

Old September 27th 04, 05:45 PM
MXP

"Wolfgang Exler" skrev i en meddelelse
"MXP" wrote:

I do take some pictures using film. But I am also interrested in the new
technology. And people here often claims that the best 24x36 films equals
16-20 MP digital. I just want to see some test which proves it. The tests
see often shows that a 6MP digital has more details than Fuji
Velvia....and
I don't like that :-)

How do you compare these Pictures?
If you scan the Velvia picture and compare it with the 6MP picture, the
uses
scanner is involved in picture quality
If you do projection, I don't know any beamer which has a resoltion
suitale
for 6MP

So how to compare?

Wolfgang

I would suggest using a microscope on the film......e.g. x100
magnification.....here you
should be able to see the finest details....and if you watch the same
details by looking at the
digital file in Photoshop at 100 - 200 % viewing.....then you should be able
to tell witch has the most perfect details. E.g. if it is written
text.....maby a streetname or so far away in the picture....then it should
be easy to tell....if you can read it on the digital image but not on the
microscope crop.....then the result is given....or visa versa.

Max

Old September 28th 04, 10:41 PM
brian

"MXP" wrote:

[...]

A high quality micrograph and a high resolution drum scan are
essentially the same thing. Both are significantly better than any
conventional optical/chemical enlargement.