[photos] several from Isle of Wight

Old May 9th 08, 10:37 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

Default [photos] several from Isle of Wight

Finally got back to some of the photos from overseas. Had a
great day at Osborne House, Isle of Wight. Queen Victoria loved
this place, and in fact was her final resting place.

I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite like
the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground, or
effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the angles,
lines and stairs etc.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6887_hdr.jpg

Small piece of Piggins trivia - Queen Victoria's grandchildren
called her "Gangan" instead of grandma etc. My brother and I
also called my grandmother, who loved the royal family,
"Gan-gan". Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al..._01/gangan.jpg

Moving right along...

The Needles rock formation, lighthouse and battery. Man, it was
sooo windy out there. I had to wrap my arm around a fence post
to stabilise myself for some of these. I had so much going on
trying to concentrate - wind, worried about exposure with the
white cliffs, haze. Not really happy with the results, but
meh...

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...1/img_6922.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...1/img_6934.jpg

And finally this really cool medieval church on top of the hill
at Godshill. Was instantly liking this place. Gravestones right
up to the building on all sides, stark trees with heaps of crows
nests and crows in the trees - ooooh, spooky.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6992_0_1.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...0_08_09_bw.jpg

And that concludes our journey...

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...-3_cropped.jpg

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old May 10th 08, 09:55 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr.T

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite like
the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground, or
effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the angles,
lines and stairs etc.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...2008_04_01/img
_6887_hdr.jpg

I like it too, shame about the sky though.

And finally this really cool medieval church on top of the hill
at Godshill. Was instantly liking this place. Gravestones right
up to the building on all sides, stark trees with heaps of crows
nests and crows in the trees - ooooh, spooky.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...2008_04_01/img
_6992_0_1.jpg

I'd try straightening it in Photoshop if I were you.

MrT.

Old May 10th 08, 02:11 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Poky

On Sat, 10 May 2008 07:37:59 +1000, Troy Piggins
wrote:

I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite like
the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground, or
effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the angles,
lines and stairs etc.

I quite like it and saved a copy to my HDD, thanks. I've been to the
Isle of Wight a few times when I was a young nipper.
Old May 10th 08, 03:30 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Troy Piggins wrote:
Finally got back to some of the photos from overseas. Had a
great day at Osborne House, Isle of Wight. Queen Victoria loved
this place, and in fact was her final resting place.

I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite like
the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground, or
effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the angles,
lines and stairs etc.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6887_hdr.jpg

Had you not said it was a photo, I would have thought it was an 18C litho!

The Church one- why not play Contrast, and bump it up a lot and see if
you like that.

And that concludes our journey...

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...-3_cropped.jpg

Ah, yes, very similar to one you've posted before, the JMWT one. While
Turner-esque, the colors are way too muted.

Thanks for posting; nice work!

--
John McWilliams

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
Old May 10th 08, 09:37 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* John McWilliams wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:
Finally got back to some of the photos from overseas. Had a
great day at Osborne House, Isle of Wight. Queen Victoria
loved this place, and in fact was her final resting place.

I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite
like the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground,
or effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the
angles, lines and stairs etc.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6887_hdr.jpg

Had you not said it was a photo, I would have thought it was an
18C litho!

Yeah, that's what I thought. Not the effect I was after, but
I'll take it

The Church one- why not play Contrast, and bump it up a lot and
see if you like that.

Thought about that. Thanks for the tip.

And that concludes our journey...

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...-3_cropped.jpg

Ah, yes, very similar to one you've posted before, the JMWT
one. While Turner-esque, the colors are way too muted.

Thanks for posting; nice work!

Thanks for the comments

Old May 12th 08, 02:28 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
XxYyZz

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
Finally got back to some of the photos from overseas. Had a
great day at Osborne House, Isle of Wight. Queen Victoria loved
this place, and in fact was her final resting place.

I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite like
the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground, or
effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the angles,
lines and stairs etc.

I like it. I think the foreground adds to the photo, I think you framed it
nicely. I also like the look of the stairs and all the angles. Nice work.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6887_hdr.jpg

Small piece of Piggins trivia - Queen Victoria's grandchildren
called her "Gangan" instead of grandma etc. My brother and I
also called my grandmother, who loved the royal family,
"Gan-gan". Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al..._01/gangan.jpg

Moving right along...

The Needles rock formation, lighthouse and battery. Man, it was
sooo windy out there. I had to wrap my arm around a fence post
to stabilise myself for some of these. I had so much going on
trying to concentrate - wind, worried about exposure with the
white cliffs, haze. Not really happy with the results, but
meh...

There is a lttle loss in detail in the white cliff but it's not too bad. I
like it better with most of the foreground cropped out leaving the white
cliff in the lower right corner.

The second photo I like as is.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...1/img_6922.jpg
http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...1/img_6934.jpg

And finally this really cool medieval church on top of the hill
at Godshill. Was instantly liking this place. Gravestones right
up to the building on all sides, stark trees with heaps of crows
nests and crows in the trees - ooooh, spooky.

It does have a little bit of a spooky feel to it. That would be an
excellent spot to try painting with light. If you could go back at night and
light up the gravestones it would look great. Some examples here :

http://lowlightphotography.blogspot....-tutorial.html

http://www.dazecoop.co.uk/25-08-2007...-coloured-gels

Old May 12th 08, 02:38 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_13_]

* XxYyZz wrote:

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
Finally got back to some of the photos from overseas. Had a
great day at Osborne House, Isle of Wight. Queen Victoria loved
this place, and in fact was her final resting place.

I didn't think that much of this shot in colour, but quite like
the B&W. What do you think? Too busy in the foreground, or
effective? I find it interesting to look at, all the angles,
lines and stairs etc.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...g_6887_hdr.jpg

I like it. I think the foreground adds to the photo, I think you framed it
nicely. I also like the look of the stairs and all the angles. Nice work.

Thanks mate.

snip /
[...]

Yeah, I'd /love/ to go back at night time. Long way to go from
Australia to Isle of Wight to take a photo though

Next time.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Good links too.