"Film is dead"? Check the facts.

Old December 2nd 05, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default "Film is dead"? Check the facts.

If we should compare photography with music then:

Digital = CD's and transistor amplifiers.
Analog = LP's and tube amplifiers.

What do you listen to?

The ones with less noise and less distortion, of course!

Btw, that is a very fitting analogy. People grew up listening to
analog recordings with all their inherent distortions, and when you
take those distortions away many people claim it no longer sounds
"real." The reality is that it sounds more real, just different from
what they're used to. Some people prefer the irregular frequency
response ("warmth") of tube amps, but that doesn't make them more
accurate. Similarly, some people still prefer the look of a grainy
(noisy) film photograph. Not me, baby! I like em smooth.

-Annika ---- Totally Digital !!!

Old December 2nd 05, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"MXP" wrote in message
. ..
If we should compare photography with music then:

Digital = CD's and transistor amplifiers.
Analog = LP's and tube amplifiers.

What do you listen to?

I **STILL** listen to my classical **LP's** on my **TUBE** amplifier and I'm
sorry to say, but no transistor amp can match the quality of sound of this
amp. I once had it checked out, and compared it to the other amplifier I
have (a regular transistor amplifier) with professional testing equipment
and the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) levels were way lower than my other
amplifier.

Old December 2nd 05, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Annika1980" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
If we should compare photography with music then:

Digital = CD's and transistor amplifiers.
Analog = LP's and tube amplifiers.

What do you listen to?

The ones with less noise and less distortion, of course!

Btw, that is a very fitting analogy. People grew up listening to
analog recordings with all their inherent distortions, and when you
take those distortions away many people claim it no longer sounds
"real." The reality is that it sounds more real, just different from
what they're used to. Some people prefer the irregular frequency
response ("warmth") of tube amps, but that doesn't make them more
accurate. Similarly, some people still prefer the look of a grainy
(noisy) film photograph. Not me, baby! I like em smooth.

-Annika ---- Totally Digital !!!

I have no tupe amplifier either but could be fun to have one. From time to
time I also take pictures with some very old cameras......e.g. Voigtländer
Rollfilm from 1925. Probably the same reason why some people like to
drive an E-type Jaguar instead of a modern "Ford produced" Jaguar.

Max

Old December 2nd 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MXP wrote:

I have no tupe amplifier either but could be fun to have one.

I had one, was not that much fun. I remember when it was all tubes,
what a pain that was. When the tv would quit working you took all the
tubes out, when to the local hardware store and used the tube tester to
find out which was was bad, yup the good old days for sure.

Scott

Old December 2nd 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Film is like Terri Schiavo ... it's dead but it doens't know it.
The Film Luddites remind me of Bill Frist, running around saying, "Film
is fine .... it's still alive! It blinked!"

Film will be "dead" when it ceases to be manufactured, that ain't gonna be
in the next decade though.

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't draw any conclusions, I simply present the facts. You
interpet them as you see fit.

It would be difficult to argue with your logic.

My thoughts on film's demise are this: There are still people who use
large format view cameras. In my town of about 250,000 I'm sure there
are probably 5-10 people who own one. In 30 years, there will still be
people using 35mm film cameras. The numbers will probably be similar.

Old December 2nd 05, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Probably the same reason why some people like to
drive an E-type Jaguar instead of a modern "Ford produced" Jaguar.

Both drive a courtesy car from the dealer most often because they break
all the time.
Old December 2nd 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott W" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
MXP wrote:

I have no tupe amplifier either but could be fun to have one.

I had one, was not that much fun. I remember when it was all tubes,
what a pain that was. When the tv would quit working you took all the
tubes out, when to the local hardware store and used the tube tester to
find out which was was bad, yup the good old days for sure.

Scott

OK. But "modern" tube amplifiers today are for the high end market. So they
are made quite well and are quite expensive. The simplest design (single
ended
triode tubes amps) which can deliver only 5-10 W are probably the most
wanted.
The original Western Electric 300B triodes are very expensive. Do you have
some?

Max

Old December 2nd 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Robert C." skrev i en meddelelse
.. .
"MXP" wrote in message
. ..
If we should compare photography with music then:

Digital = CD's and transistor amplifiers.
Analog = LP's and tube amplifiers.

What do you listen to?

I **STILL** listen to my classical **LP's** on my **TUBE** amplifier and
I'm sorry to say, but no transistor amp can match the quality of sound of
this amp. I once had it checked out, and compared it to the other
amplifier I have (a regular transistor amplifier) with professional
testing equipment and the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) levels were way
lower than my other amplifier.

A tube amplifier has mostly 2nd harmonic distortion which sounds good. A
transistor
amplifier has some of the other higher harmonic distortions......which
should not sound
very good if they are to high.

Old December 3rd 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"no_name" wrote in message
m...
Paul Mitchum wrote:

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

8. Y'ever wonder what the big deal about film and light is, why it
has to be kept in the dark all the time? Because it reacts to light, and
too much will destroy it. And d'you know what else is the same way?
*Vampires*, that's what!

Well, a vampire's image can't be captured on film. But you know why? Cuz
it's got silver in it! So snap away at the undead with your digital
camera! Just don't use a flash, or you might do permanent damage.

You're confusing vampires with werewolves.

Oh, right! - Like there's a difference! - I never knew a werewolf yet that
wasn't just like a vampire......
Come to think of it, I never knew a werewolf yet.......