"Film is dead"? Check the facts.

Old December 2nd 05, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default "Film is dead"? Check the facts.

For the many people who say that film is dead, there are as many who
deny that this is the case. But the arguments for either side don't deal
with much in the way of facts, usually just hearsay. I had to believe there
was more out there, so I did some research, and here's what I found. You're
welcome to verify this on your own:

1. In 1922, Howard Carter unearthed the long lost tomb of
Tutankhamun, and documented the find extensively... on *film*. Not long
afterwards, rumors began to circulate that the tomb carried a curse, and
defiling the tomb would mean certain death. Countless people scoff at this
as mere superstition, but you should be aware of one pertinent fact -
nobody involved in that original excavation remains alive.

2. While attempting a circumnavigation flight in the summer of 1937,
Amelia Earhart took film along. She lost radio contact while attempting to
navigate to Howland's Island, deep in the Pacific Ocean, and was never seen
again. Neither was the film. Sure, nobody knows for sure what happened, but
let's put it this way: That film would be over *68 years* older now.
Sobering thought.

3. Kitty Kelly, known the world over for her premiere journalistic
skills, relates a story about traveling in Europe and happening across an
accident scene, where medics feverishly pounded on the chest of something
she swears looked exactly like film, shouting, "Breathe, dammit! BREATHE!"
She was ushered away by bobbies or gendarmes or something, but just before
getting out of earshot she heard someone murmur, "It's no use."

4. On the cover of the "Spice World" *video* tape, Cheesecake Spice
(I think that's her name) is down on one knee. This is an allusion to the
Innuit custom of dropping to one's knees before dying. Within the movie are
further allusions: Cockney Spice can be heard to say "I bleedin' buried
film" when played backwards, and Loose Spice can be seen to genuflect every
time a film camera appears. And despite the fact that it was a "world"
movie, there's a conspicuous absence of images or references to Mount Fuji.

5. Even the numbers have a message: 35mm film frame is 24x36, or 864.
Subtract from that other film sizes (4x5=20), (5x7=35), (6x4.5=27),
(6x6=36), and (8x10=80). Coincidence?

6. Not only that, but no holy scripture that can be found anywhere
mentions anything about film. Not once. C'mon, not even "Dianetics". But
*every* one has mentions of both 'ones' and 'voids' or 'nothings', which is
fundamental binary. The language of electronics.

7. And what do you have on your hands? Ten *digits*. And what's ten?
A one, and a *zero*...

8. Y'ever wonder what the big deal about film and light is, why it
has to be kept in the dark all the time? Because it reacts to light, and
too much will destroy it. And d'you know what else is the same way?
*Vampires*, that's what!

9. No one has ever yet established any form of proof that all of the
people who say they're still using film aren't simply suffering from
delusions or are figments of their own imagination. No one's even tried.
Why is that?

10. And finally, if film *isn't* dead, wouldn't you think it'd be
stepping up to deny those vicious rumors of its own demise? What could it
possibly stand to gain by being maligned in that way?

I don't draw any conclusions, I simply present the facts. You
interpet them as you see fit.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old December 2nd 05, 06:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Slow Thursday evening, huh?

Can't wait to see what Friday night brings up.

--------
Some companies: Fuji for one, is hot on the digital camera trail,
along with bringing out 'new' film types to the marketplace.

Now that is odd, no?
= = =

Old December 2nd 05, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

8. Y'ever wonder what the big deal about film and light is, why it
has to be kept in the dark all the time? Because it reacts to light, and
too much will destroy it. And d'you know what else is the same way?
*Vampires*, that's what!

Well, a vampire's image can't be captured on film. But you know why? Cuz
it's got silver in it! So snap away at the undead with your digital
camera! Just don't use a flash, or you might do permanent damage.
Old December 2nd 05, 11:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 04:21:56 GMT, Al Denelsbeck
wrote:

You're
welcome to verify this on your own:

[snip funny stuff]

ROTFL

I only bothered to open this thread because I noticed your name. I'm
glad I did. Especially the film sizes. I never knew. Thanks, Al.

DuncanC

Old December 2nd 05, 12:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I always though film was dead because it got shot so often.

Jim

Old December 2nd 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Paul Mitchum wrote:

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

8. Y'ever wonder what the big deal about film and light is, why it
has to be kept in the dark all the time? Because it reacts to light, and
too much will destroy it. And d'you know what else is the same way?
*Vampires*, that's what!

Well, a vampire's image can't be captured on film. But you know why? Cuz
it's got silver in it! So snap away at the undead with your digital
camera! Just don't use a flash, or you might do permanent damage.

You're confusing vampires with werewolves.
Old December 2nd 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Steve Kombat Kramer" wrote in message

Fact is.... I just bought a Canon EOS 100 film camera!

**No doubt paid for by your wife Nobuko, right Steve? Lucky for you that she
has an income that supports the both of you, and your 'hobby' because we all
know that despite your posts to Usenet claiming that you have loads of
clients and that you have to turn work away because you're soooooo busy, we
all know that in reality your 'photography' business is as dead as a dodo!!!

Perhaps you could show us this new camera - how about putting it round your
neck and posing for us like you did here in this:

http://www.takingthe****.net/stevekr..._pretender.jpg

http://steve-the-grass.tripod.com/great_pretender.jpg

*smirk*

--
I'm good, I know it, and I have no need for false humility. I'm proud of who
and what I am. And even prouder of what I'm becoming. - Steve 'Kombat'

snipped the bull****

Steve Kombat Kramer

Old December 2nd 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I don't draw any conclusions, I simply present the facts. You
interpet them as you see fit.

It would be difficult to argue with your logic.

My thoughts on film's demise are this: There are still people who use
large format view cameras. In my town of about 250,000 I'm sure there
are probably 5-10 people who own one. In 30 years, there will still be
people using 35mm film cameras. The numbers will probably be similar.

Film is like Terri Schiavo ... it's dead but it doens't know it.
The Film Luddites remind me of Bill Frist, running around saying, "Film
is fine .... it's still alive! It blinked!"

Old December 2nd 05, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

no_name wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Al Denelsbeck wrote:

8. Y'ever wonder what the big deal about film and light is, why it
has to be kept in the dark all the time? Because it reacts to light, and
too much will destroy it. And d'you know what else is the same way?
*Vampires*, that's what!

Well, a vampire's image can't be captured on film. But you know why? Cuz
it's got silver in it! So snap away at the undead with your digital
camera! Just don't use a flash, or you might do permanent damage.

You're confusing vampires with werewolves.

Well, no. The reason you can't see a vampire in a mirror is because of
the silver reflective material. Turns out you have to have a soul to be
reflected in silver.

Or so I've heard. Film is not undead.
Old December 2nd 05, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

If we should compare photography with music then:

Digital = CD's and transistor amplifiers.
Analog = LP's and tube amplifiers.

What do you listen to?

ups.com...