Long term camera storage.

Old November 14th 05, 07:08 PM
Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

Default Long term camera storage.

Dear group members:

Since I have now moved entirely to digital I am left with film equipment
that is still in excellent condition and very dear to me. I don't anticipate
using film again any time soon. So this raises the question: What is the
best way to store this film equipment for an extended period of time,
avoiding premature deterioration due to moisture and other environmental
conditions ?

I thought of packing the camera and some lenses in one of those
vacuum-sealed bags (the type they show on TV where they place veggies inside
and then suck the air out to maintain them fresh). I also thought of placing
those silica gel pouches similar to the ones they use inside leather goods
to prevent moisture build-up.

What suggestions would you offer for such a task ? Where can I find these
silica gel pouches and is this really the best way to keep moisture and
fungal growth away from the equipment ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Old November 14th 05, 08:05 PM
Sheldon

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Your storage ideas are valid, except that most cameras, even the better
DSLR's, still have a lot of mechanical parts that need to be worked now and
then. Much like a car or a good mechanical watch, letting these things sit
for long periods will probably do them more harm than using them. So, IMO I
would make a schedule and take your old cameras out and use them from time
to time. That doesn't mean you have to take photos with them, but fire them
at all shutter speeds and turn and push all the controls. If you have
lenses you are not using, put them on the camera, too, so you can exercise
the leaf apertures, focusing rings and any motors that might be in them.
Also, take out any batteries that might be in the cameras. As you probably
know, if they leak they can cause damage.

As a doctor, you should realize that anything that moves, and doesn't get
used, will eventually start to atrophy -- even cameras.

Old November 14th 05, 08:16 PM

Joseph Chamberlain, DDS wrote:

Since I have now moved entirely to digital I am left with film equipment
that is still in excellent condition and very dear to me. I don't anticipate
using film again any time soon. So this raises the question: What is the
best way to store this film equipment for an extended period of time,
avoiding premature deterioration due to moisture and other environmental
conditions ?

My ever so precious EOS-5 is currently sitting in a statis chamber of
the finest quality. Magic Elves from Altair were summoned by a medium.
They were then tricked into fabricating a special
nickel-iron-chromium-titanium alloy sphere. The inside was coated with
ultra-pure pyrex, and the camera was placed inside (on a pedastal of
platinum-iridium, straight from the CT layer!), and then the rest of
the container was filled with argon, and then it was sealed to the air
and light. The entire apparatus was then transported under heavy guard
to Sudbury, Ontario, where it now sits in a bath of liquid nitrogen in
a very deep mine shaft -- no thermal cycling expected for millions of
years, and an Elf stands on guard 24/7, decanting more LN2 as the need
arises (boil-off, you know).

Old November 14th 05, 08:33 PM
Gormless

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" wrote in message
.. .
Dear group members:

Since I have now moved entirely to digital I am left with film equipment
that is still in excellent condition and very dear to me. I don't

anticipate
using film again any time soon. So this raises the question: What is the
best way to store this film equipment for an extended period of time,

I've had a very elderly Hasselblad just sitting in a cupboard in my house
for a long long time since I stopped regularly using it. I still use it
occasionally because it enjoys it, but have never detected any rust, worms,
mildew, leukopenia, Peyronie's or dry rot in it.
So what's wrong with just somewhere in the house? Run a roll or two through
twice a year to keep it interested.

Old November 14th 05, 09:43 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" wrote in message
.. .

Since I have now moved entirely to digital I am left with film equipment
that is still in excellent condition and very dear to me. I don't
anticipate
using film again any time soon. So this raises the question: What is the
best way to store this film equipment for an extended period of time,

There's a lot of impressionism going on here. I've stored equipment for a
long time, and I have aquired equipment stored. My two-bits worth: Clean the
equipment of fingerprints. Do not oil or lubricate. Use nothing on the
surfaces. Remove batteries. Do not store batteries with the equipment. Wrap
each piece in plain butcher's paper. Use no tape. Place it in military
surplus steel ammo boxes (you know, the ones with the rubber sealed lip)
with one-shot dessicant (or reusable, but bake it first.) Close, put away
and forget about it. It is that simple. Just forget about it. Be at peace.

Now someone will want to know why it's so simple, so I will list a few Do
Nots just to appease them. Do Not wrap in plastic. First, you do not _know_
for certain which plastic will outgas; never mind impressionistic opinions
regarding freezing bags, and so-forth. You don't know; manufacturers are not
required to tell you, either. Besides, most plastics, and almost all plastic
bags breathe - let in gases. There are few economical plastics that do not
breathe or outgas. Plastic is a waste of time. Plain butchers paper does
neither. Tape degenerates, too. Don't use tape. Don't use newspaper
because it falls apart and the ink never dries. So not using tape or
plastic simplifies things a lot. (The US Military contractors of the 40's
did the same for a large set of spendy, delicate cameras. They are pristine
when you open them today. In fact, I just opened one two weeks ago.
Pristine.)

Similarly, do not store in composite (plastic, 'rubber', foarm or any kind
of padded) cases. Most of those materials outgas, but worse some of them
turn into something like tar in twenty years. Even the spendy airproof
civilian cases cheap out on padding. The very worst are the 'cut it
yourself' padded interiors. Pure trash.

Lenses made before 1955 might become a little stiff from not being used, but
exercising them periodically over years is, in the end, silly because when
you want to finally use them again, you WILL get a CLA anyway. You just
waste your time unpacking and 'exercising' them. That said, a large,
well-used Nikon F system (four bodies, three motor drives, eight lenses)
stored properly for thirty years had no such issues.

The only 'oops' I've had in forty years was an ammunition box that was
closed at altitude. It was really hard to open at seal level. Big deal. That
is no reason to go to spendy, composite, high-tech cases with atmospheric
valves - as noted above, the innards are a liability anyway.

Old November 15th 05, 10:24 AM

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:33:24 -0000, "Gormless"
wrote:

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" wrote in message
. ..
Dear group members:

Since I have now moved entirely to digital I am left with film equipment
that is still in excellent condition and very dear to me. I don't

anticipate
using film again any time soon. So this raises the question: What is the
best way to store this film equipment for an extended period of time,

I've had a very elderly Hasselblad just sitting in a cupboard in my house
for a long long time since I stopped regularly using it. I still use it
occasionally because it enjoys it, but have never detected any rust, worms,
mildew, leukopenia, Peyronie's

This would likely only be the result of dropping the camera
with a long lens installed onto a hard surface.