Sometimes stupid loses

Old April 29th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Graham

Default Sometimes stupid loses

tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:02:12 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
wrote:

The idea that only gun owners should write gun laws is as absurd
as the idea that only drug addicts should write drug laws or
that only convicted felons should write criminal laws.

I gotta go with Tony on this.

You "gotta go with Tony on" the notion that law-abiding gun owners
are pretty much the same as drug addicts and convicted felons when
it comes to writing laws concerning guns?

Really?

On his last paragraph, that's what I agree with: "The idea that
only gun owners should write gun laws is as absurd as the idea that
only drug addicts should write drug laws or that only convicted
felons should write criminal laws

That's still equating gun owners with drug addicts and convicted
felons. Are you really saying you think that's fair and reasonable?

Drug addicts and convicted felons by definition have broken the law,
and in both cases can reasonably be expected to do so again.
Obviously someone likely to be convicted of a crime *again* would
not be a reasonable choice to write laws about how to deal with
people likely to commit similar crimes. (Duh.)

Many gun owners have broken the law, but have not been caught. Our
own Bill Graham freely admits to being one. Possession of an
unregistered gun in a city or state where that is illegal is breaking
a law.

Tony may really believe that gun owners are ipso facto just like drug
addicts and convicted felons, but there's certainly no reason why you
should.

I'll repeat this just for the record, but I know that it won't get
across to you. I have no objection to guns or gun owners. I am in
favor of gun control laws. I oppose open-carry for the most part,
especially on a college campus, and the unrelenting efforts of the NRA
lobbyists to oppose any controls or restrictions on guns.

If it wasn't for the NRA's "Unrelenting efforts", there would be no right to
have any guns at all in our society by this late date, and, " only outlaws
would have guns."