[SI] - Filters - how's the catch Bowser?

Old June 6th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default [SI] - Filters - how's the catch Bowser?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 7th 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

I submitted.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 7th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 06-06-09 23:26, Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

I submitted.

Watch which NG you use that phrase in ...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 7th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Bowser

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

18 images submitted so far. Some nice stuff, too.

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old June 7th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:39:42 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

18 images submitted so far. Some nice stuff, too.

Are you acknowledging receipt? If so, I haven't received an
acknowledgement. It might be better if mine were lost in cyberspace,
but I did submit.

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 8th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Bowser

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:39:42 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

18 images submitted so far. Some nice stuff, too.

Are you acknowledging receipt? If so, I haven't received an
acknowledgement. It might be better if mine were lost in cyberspace,
but I did submit.

I got them...

I might have turned on the auto-reply after yours got here.

Old June 9th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Matt Clara[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

I liked your second entry, Alan. Very sharp, nice lighting, and great
composition.

Old June 9th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 09-06-09 12:13, Matt Clara wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Due Sunday 7 June evening!!!!

I liked your second entry, Alan. Very sharp, nice lighting, and great
composition.

Very kind Matt, thanks. It's my least favourite of the three.

The more fun photo (and better overall IMO) was the first exposing for
the reflection of the bushes outside the window plus the flash shot from
under the table. I set an exposure using the meter for the reflected
image and then tuned that with the histo, then adjusted the flash power
down a bit to get a little color into the filters.

As to composition, I'm not that happy. Propping bits of filter to stand
on a smooth glass surface was not easy, so more dynamic compositions
were impossible to get at - at least in the time I took.

I started out to do something close to what Bret actually did. I was
going to do outdoor portraits with a blue filter and a yellow accetate
on the on-camera flash. (Based on a photoclub presentation I saw years
ago). I didn't like the quality of the blue I got (washed out) in test
shots so gave up on it for now. Should have tried an acetate rather
than a screw on filter, perhaps.

Bret's result is spooky-cool with the saturated blue on black and the
bizarre deadpan on the subject's face. The hat seems to almost
'capture' the light. ... pure Bret weird.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 10th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default - Filters - how's the catch Bowser?

On 09-06-09 21:19, Annika1980 wrote:

Just set your A900's Color Temperature to 2700° or so and that should
give you the blue you want.

Except then you can't 'cancel' out the blue with the yellow flash. That
light gets 'blued' too.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old June 10th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-06-09 18:19:54 -0700, Annika1980 said:

On Jun 9, 4:32*pm, Alan Browne
wrote:

I started out to do something close to what Bret actually did. *I was
going to do outdoor portraits with a blue filter and a yellow accetate
on the on-camera flash. *(Based on a photoclub presentation I saw years
ago). *I didn't like the quality of the blue I got (washed out) in test
shots so gave up on it for now. *Should have tried an acetate rather
than a screw on filter, perhaps.

Bret's result is spooky-cool with the saturated blue on black and the
bizarre deadpan on the subject's face. *The hat seems to almost
'capture' the light. ... pure Bret weird.

Just set your A900's Color Temperature to 2700° or so and that should
give you the blue you want. Underexposing the ambient by a couple of
stops helps, too.
There's lots of good info on CTO filters on the Strobist site if you
can stomach the obvious Nikon bias.

A Nikon bias! OH goody!

....but for what it's worth Bret, that was a pretty cool effort, even if
it was created with a "C" machine.

Savageduck