OT - Newsgroup Charters

Old September 10th 04, 12:16 AM
The DaveŠ

Default OT - Newsgroup Charters

Do people actually read newsgroup charters? I never have. I've never
even seen one. I wouldn't even know they exist except for some inane
blather from a few. To me, participating in a newsgroup is like
driving with the flow of traffic. You either fit in and feel
comfortable, or you don't. If you don't, you leave and find one where
you do.

--
If Illinois is the "Land of Lincoln", what were they before the Civil
War?
Old September 10th 04, 01:47 AM
John McWilliams

The DaveŠ wrote:

Do people actually read newsgroup charters? I never have. I've never
even seen one. I wouldn't even know they exist except for some inane
blather from a few. To me, participating in a newsgroup is like
driving with the flow of traffic. You either fit in and feel
comfortable, or you don't. If you don't, you leave and find one where
you do.

More interesting than a phonebook, less than some law briefs. There's
one right now in news.groups, and in rpd as well.

--
John McWilliams

P.S.Illinois, before Lincoln, was 85.47% Prairie lands.....so it coulda
been called the land of grass.

Old September 10th 04, 02:22 AM
Matt Clara

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
Do people actually read newsgroup charters? I never have. I've never
even seen one. I wouldn't even know they exist except for some inane
blather from a few. To me, participating in a newsgroup is like
driving with the flow of traffic. You either fit in and feel
comfortable, or you don't. If you don't, you leave and find one where
you do.

Exactly my sentiments--I've yet to see the charter, and could care less.

Ride me out on a rail, why don'cha!!!
;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 10th 04, 04:29 PM
Alan Browne

The DaveŠ wrote:

Do people actually read newsgroup charters? I never have. I've never
even seen one. I wouldn't even know they exist except for some inane
blather from a few. To me, participating in a newsgroup is like
driving with the flow of traffic. You either fit in and feel
comfortable, or you don't. If you don't, you leave and find one where
you do.

You're exactly the kind of person for which the charters weren't
written. Most people can join a group and find the flow, as you
say. There are just a few people who need to be pointed to the
boundaries.

Old September 10th 04, 07:06 PM
BandHPhoto

Do people actually read newsgroup charters? I never have.

I've been online for a decade and back then, reading the charter was very
useful. Nowadays I think most folks don't even know they exist, which is a
shame since one SHOULD read them IMHO.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video