Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Old February 15th 12, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

Default Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 2012-02-15 16:07:46 +0000, tony cooper said:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:16:39 -0400, PeterN

On 2011-09-16 19:08:06 +0100, tony cooper said:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:28:14 +0100, Pete A
wrote:

My artistic and technical knowledge is very limited, which makes me
totally unqualified to comment on the submissions. Who the hell am I to
critique the works of others?

This, frankly, is bull****. We are *all* qualified to judge and
comment on all the photographs submitted. The only qualification
necessary is the ability to form and express an opinion.

What makes you think your opinion is any less valid than anyone
else's? You may see something - good or bad - in photo that no one
else sees or brings up.

I find it very difficult to express my opinions in writing - it took me
five hours to write my comments on the submissions to this SI. I enjoyed
doing it and I took the time because in a previous post you mentioned
that there was a lack of negative feedback (suggestions for improvement).

Hopefully this time, I've contributed worthwhile observations from my
areas of knowledge that will benefit others.

The last thing I want anyone to do is degrade their work of art because
of something I've said. In my opinion, some contributors to the SI are
overly willing to adjust the artistic rendition of their image based on
feedback - feedback that I strongly disagree with, but I remain silent.
I do not wish to start an argument, furthermore, I have no empirical
evidence for my disagreement.

What really ****es me off is when I see budding artists who are
compliant enough (through admirable humility) to willingly degrade their
art based on the feedback of those who totally missed the point of their
art.

But, like I said, who the hell am I to make such powerful statements?
It's just my humble opinions at the end of the day.

Don't confuse humility with a lack of self confidence.
I try to make it clear, that my comments are only my opinion and the
artist should not take them literally, but should merely consider them.

You are replying to September post. If you follow Pete's comments,
you know he experiences mood swings that range from supportive of
other people's work to vitriolic attacks on the same people. What he
thought in September may not be what he'll write about today.

That's Pete. You take him as he is.

Well, he did reply _during_ September. Is that unusual for a September post?

Old February 15th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-15 15:08 , tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:37:40 +0000, Pete A
wrote:

Well, he did reply _during_ September. Is that unusual for a September post?

It just appeared today. That is unusual.

You sure? Sometimes I'll temporarily have posts sorted by name or
subject and then reply to a post that I think is very recent - only to
find it is months old after I reply to it. Mildly embarrassing.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 15th 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:

Well, he did reply _during_ September. Is that unusual for a September post?

It just appeared today. That is unusual.

You sure? Sometimes I'll temporarily have posts sorted by name or
subject and then reply to a post that I think is very recent - only to
find it is months old after I reply to it. Mildly embarrassing.

Agent, the way I have it set up, shows only unread posts. Posts are
sorted by thread. I don't remember the post from when it appeared in
September, but I "read" all posts. Reading sometimes means clicking
it open and then clicking the next one (as with most RichA posts), but
all posts are opened. This one just appeared today.

Very odd. Did you examine the full header?

Old February 15th 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Well, he did reply _during_ September. Is that unusual for a September post?

It just appeared today. That is unusual.

You sure? Sometimes I'll temporarily have posts sorted by name or
subject and then reply to a post that I think is very recent - only to
find it is months old after I reply to it. Mildly embarrassing.

Agent, the way I have it set up, shows only unread posts. Posts are
sorted by thread. I don't remember the post from when it appeared in
September, but I "read" all posts. Reading sometimes means clicking
it open and then clicking the next one (as with most RichA posts), but
all posts are opened. This one just appeared today.

Forte's news servers sometimes give me a whole month or more of
messages from a news group which have been lost in transit (the
messages I mean). I notice they have been having a lot of trouble over
the last few weeks.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 16th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
: wrote:
:
: Well, he did reply _during_ September. Is that unusual for a September post?
:
: It just appeared today. That is unusual.
:
: You sure? Sometimes I'll temporarily have posts sorted by name or
: subject and then reply to a post that I think is very recent - only to
: find it is months old after I reply to it. Mildly embarrassing.
:
: Agent, the way I have it set up, shows only unread posts. Posts are
: sorted by thread. I don't remember the post from when it appeared in
: September, but I "read" all posts. Reading sometimes means clicking
: it open and then clicking the next one (as with most RichA posts), but
: all posts are opened. This one just appeared today.

I'm an Agent user too, and here's when I received it:

Bob
Old February 16th 12, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

wrote:

Well, he did reply _during_ September. Is that unusual for a September post?

It just appeared today. That is unusual.

You sure? Sometimes I'll temporarily have posts sorted by name or
subject and then reply to a post that I think is very recent - only to
find it is months old after I reply to it. Mildly embarrassing.

Agent, the way I have it set up, shows only unread posts. Posts are
sorted by thread. I don't remember the post from when it appeared in
September, but I "read" all posts. Reading sometimes means clicking
it open and then clicking the next one (as with most RichA posts), but
all posts are opened. This one just appeared today.

Very odd. Did you examine the full header?

No. My assumption, in retrospect, is that news.individual.net (my
news server) belched up the post like the taste of
day-before-yesterday's curry and mistakenly sent it to Agent (my news
reader) as "Unread". Or, maybe, sun spots or the Mayans are messing
with me.

My news service seems to operate in round robin mode for load
balancing. This would be fine if the servers were actually in sync, but
often they are not. Occasionally, one of two things happen:

1. I get the new headers, but cannot read some of the messages until
hours later.

2. I get one or a bunch of headers from years ago.

To work around it I used to reset all the newsgroups, but that was a
real pain. Now, I've set a filter to delete everything that's more than
one month old and have unsubscribed from the high volume
rec.photo.digital newsgroups.

Cross-posted messages get really screwed up when the servers are not in
sync. Examples: a message I've read will reappear as unread; when
replying, the reader will sneakily remove one of the groups (I think
this problem was fixed in an update last year).

Or, as Tony said, it's sun spots or the Mayans. Perhaps I'm emitting
too many alpha particles or cosmic rays.