[SI] Don't Forget Those Fabulous Fashion Fotos

Old November 13th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Don't Forget Those Fabulous Fashion Fotos

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
Just a reminder that the Haute/Hate Coutre photos are due on November
13th, so be sure to show us which side of the fence you live on.

Serious?

I've got to install a new oven and a new cooktop by tonight and they
won't be delivered 'til after lunch...

Would that, by any chance, be a cold lunch?

I really hope all goes well.

Oven delivered and installed (a buddy and my SO did a great job on the
cabinet modification). Made a roast. Cooked faster than usual and a
little over done, dammit.

That's not bad for first time use. Ovens vary a _lot_ in terms of
cooking speed at a set temperature.

I actually set it 25°F lower to compensate for the convection fan. I
shut off the oven at 130°F (meat center) and left it to coast up to 140.
While attending to a bottle of wine it rose to 150°F interior.

This oven is much faster than the other one - the convection fans really
keep the hot air around the meat and it's so well insulated that it
keeps cooking longer - I could probably shut it off at 20°F below the
desired interior temp.

On the plus side the outside of the roast was more evenly crispy than my
old oven would do - this is a benefit of convection ovens.

Lesson learned. At least it was a bargain chunk of beef (French Round
Roast).

Stove doesn't show up until Tues, but should be a cinch to replace the
ancient, failing one. (can't get parts for it).

Luckily, I can still get parts for my ancient gas cooker, but they are
expensive. If the new cookers had its nice features I'd replace it.

I'd like to switch to gas but it would cost $60K to bring the line from
the boulevard. I could split that with my neighbor (he has propane
delivered and would love NG). Even with plummetting NG prices it would
take over 15 - 20 years to payoff (change furnace, water heater, stove,
oven).

So we'll stay electric.
Submitted some archive shots.

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Nothing great.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Old November 13th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-11-13 10:36 , Bowser wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:47:26 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
Just a reminder that the Haute/Hate Coutre photos are due on November
13th, so be sure to show us which side of the fence you live on.

Serious?

I've got to install a new oven and a new cooktop by tonight and they
won't be delivered 'til after lunch...

Would that, by any chance, be a cold lunch?

I really hope all goes well.

Oven delivered and installed (a buddy and my SO did a great job on the
cabinet modification). Made a roast. Cooked faster than usual and a
little over done, dammit.

Stove doesn't show up until Tues, but should be a cinch to replace the
ancient, failing one. (can't get parts for it).

If you feel inclined, I'd much prefer to see a late SI submission of
haute cuisine (or just beans on toast with an egg on top) than haute
couture.

Submitted some archive shots.

Sigh...

Archive shots for your own mandate. Damn.

I wasn't serious when I proposed it.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old November 13th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete A

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
Just a reminder that the Haute/Hate Coutre photos are due on November
13th, so be sure to show us which side of the fence you live on.

Serious?

I've got to install a new oven and a new cooktop by tonight and they
won't be delivered 'til after lunch...

Would that, by any chance, be a cold lunch?

I really hope all goes well.

Oven delivered and installed (a buddy and my SO did a great job on the
cabinet modification). Made a roast. Cooked faster than usual and a
little over done, dammit.

That's not bad for first time use. Ovens vary a _lot_ in terms of
cooking speed at a set temperature.

I actually set it 25°F lower to compensate for the convection fan. I
shut off the oven at 130°F (meat center) and left it to coast up to
140. While attending to a bottle of wine it rose to 150°F interior.

Wine is more reliable than fan ovens!

I find it difficult to know the compensation factor for fan ovens
because it varies with the type of food, oven, and oven temperature.
For simplicity, I lower high oven temperatures by 20°C (35°F), I can't
lower mid temperatures by 15°C because my oven has setting increments
of 10°C, and low temperatures by 10°C (20°F). This of course destroys
the speed advantage of fan ovens, but retains their advantage in
evenness throughout the oven.

In the UK I've never seen a gas fan oven. Gas is not only much cheaper,
many chefs claim gas is better for cooking certain foods. Whether
that's an old wives tale or is because the moisture produced by burning
gas is less drying than an electric oven remains a mystery to me.

This oven is much faster than the other one - the convection fans
really keep the hot air around the meat and it's so well insulated that
it keeps cooking longer - I could probably shut it off at 20°F below
the desired interior temp.

On the plus side the outside of the roast was more evenly crispy than
my old oven would do - this is a benefit of convection ovens.

Lesson learned. At least it was a bargain chunk of beef (French Round Roast).

I love fan ovens for cooking most types of food. My best ever kitchen
appliance is my Panasonic microwave/grill/fan oven, which can be used
in any combination of the three heat sources, with individually
adjustable power levels. It took me two years of experimenting before
it became intuitive, now I can cook to perfection a combination of food
items that would normally need two or three separate cooking
temperatures and/or methods. It's ideal for preparing a tasty meal for
one and, at a push, two people. Learning to use it has helped me get
interested in diet and nutrition. Combined with my more recent addition
of a George Forman grill, these devices have not only enabled me to
overcome my previous eating disorder, I can easily prepare tasty food
for a small party. Which reminds me, I must send out some invitations
for the festive season that's not far off...

Stove doesn't show up until Tues, but should be a cinch to replace the
ancient, failing one. (can't get parts for it).

Luckily, I can still get parts for my ancient gas cooker, but they are
expensive. If the new cookers had its nice features I'd replace it.

I'd like to switch to gas but it would cost $60K to bring the line from
the boulevard. I could split that with my neighbor (he has propane
delivered and would love NG). Even with plummetting NG prices it would
take over 15 - 20 years to payoff (change furnace, water heater, stove,
oven).

So we'll stay electric.

Investing that amount of money to save money in the long-term is a
tough call. It only pays off if the price differential remains
significant and we absolutely know we will not move house during the
long recoup period. Current market turmoil makes long-term investments
a bigger gamble than they've been for a long time.

Submitted some archive shots.

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Nothing great.

Much better than nothing at all - I have zero submissions for this mandate.

Old November 13th 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-11-12 15:24:35 +0000, Alan Browne said:

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
[...]

Likewise.

My solution to good food: my SO moved in last year! (heh heh : don't
tell her ).

[...]

Electricity in Quebec is 5.5 cents per kWh - so the differential is
pretty small. My total energy (all electric) bill for the house is less
than $1700 tax in - with a son prone to very long showers. (Away at
school now - and that helps!).

Gas could be a selling point for the house as well.
--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Old November 14th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 2011-11-12 15:24:35 +0000, Alan Browne said:

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
[...]

How can I tell? Next time, I'll just ignore any suggestions.

:-)
Old November 14th 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2011-11-12 15:24:35 +0000, Alan Browne said:

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
[...]

Anyway, mine are in.
I have a serious question as to anybody here would dress as I have
portrayed.

--
Peter
Old November 15th 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
Just a reminder that the Haute/Hate Coutre photos are due on November
13th, so be sure to show us which side of the fence you live on.

Anyway, mine are in.
I have a serious question as to anybody here would dress as I have
portrayed.

I wasn't going to bother submitting anything, but I went downtown
today to see if there was something photographable at the "Occupy
Orlando" camp with no thought of finding something for SI. Nothing
there, but on the way home I noticed a large crowd at a local park.

Turned out to be a Gay Pride Rally. I didn't have much time, but I
grabbed a few shots there and have submitted two of them. The third
is from a motorcyclist event that was within the mandate time frame
but really isn't a biker fashion shot. I've got better motorcycle
outfits on file, but I like to use fresh stuff for the SI.

Gay pride events make for some interesting shots. I am looking forward
to seeing them.
Y0u can safely bet that at least one of mine was seriously manipulated.
One a a straight shot, and the third, just some manipulation. Two of
them were taken in August.

--
Peter
Old November 15th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-11-12 15:24:35 +0000, Alan Browne said:

On 2011-11-11 18:58 , Bowser wrote:
[...]

I'll add a seriousness factor next time.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.