[SI] Weapons - from the hip.

Old June 19th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Weapons - from the hip.

I'll only point out the photos that caught my eye as interesting, or
particularly well shot, interpreted, etc.

Duck, Revolver. I like the tone of the image as presented, esp. the
treatment of the background texture to compliment that of the weapon.
The style evokes the era of the weapon and photographs of about that
time (very wide latitude of interpretation on that last bit). However,
as treated, completely blows the Rulz wrt manipulation.

Duck, 105mm. I just like it as an informational photo. Lots of detail,
nice rich colour. Setting is bland and dull however.

Cooper, Apple/knife. I like the nice simple composition and restrained
colour palette. I would have composed it differently (maybe a chunk of
apple cut from the fruit lying beside the apple? - but that might have
ruined the minimal palette.

Cooper, Tachi. Again a restrained colour palette, simple composition
make this photo appealing. Something someone might see in a museum
pamphlet. What I find really nice is the diagonals of the knife against
the horizontal BG, while also being in opposite direction to the
diagonals in the splayed fan.

Browne, scoped rifle. "So, you want to buy a new lens?" I really
wanted to focus the viewer on the muzzle of the rifle with the
background information a blur. The shot was supposed to be outside but
my SO demurred of doing that with neighbors perhaps looking on. So the
test shot became 'the' shot.

Otter, field rifles. Not at all my favourite, but the action of the
soldiers makes it interesting. Ruined by things like the perfect lawn
and visitor center sign in the bg.

Otter, brass canon. All I like is the barrel colour with the black
carriage. Otherwise ...

Paul Furman, axe: Really not a weapon except by rock culture naming -
and even then I'd expect a heavy metal guitar. Good presentation shot
other than the roughish blanket. Could be sharper.

Tim Conway, canon: I like the composition with the canon trained over
the field as if laid in for the defense. The angle (from shooting low)
suggests the arc of the projectile. Just wish that damned car wasn't in
the shot. C'mon dude, cheat for cripes sake and use photoshop!. Or at
least wait for the car to go by. Or walk back and move it!

Newman, spinner: I just like airplane shots! Reflections in spinners
are always cool. And the P-47 (?) and F4U in it makes the shot work.
Too bad for the fence and other clutter.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old June 20th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[...]

oops! Right you are. I totally missed it.

Old June 20th 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-19 15:12:53 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

I'll only point out the photos that caught my eye as interesting, or
particularly well shot, interpreted, etc.

Duck, Revolver. I like the tone of the image as presented, esp. the
treatment of the background texture to compliment that of the weapon.
The style evokes the era of the weapon and photographs of about that
time (very wide latitude of interpretation on that last bit). However,
as treated, completely blows the Rulz wrt manipulation.

I just used a T-shirt for the background, and went for a B&W conversion
for a pseudo-aged look.
This is the original;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1851Navy.jpg
There were quite a few things I could have done , as demonstrated by
some of the other variations I posted.
When it comes to the digital darkroom, I am just a tweeking fool. :-)

Duck, 105mm. I just like it as an informational photo. Lots of
detail, nice rich colour. Setting is bland and dull however.

Well, you takes 'em where you finds 'em.

Newman, spinner: I just like airplane shots! Reflections in spinners
are always cool. And the P-47 (?) and F4U in it makes the shot work.
Too bad for the fence and other clutter.

Yup! I took a close look and the AC on the left in the reflection is
definitely a P-47N with the bubble canopy. On the right, the diagnostic
ID for the F4U is the Navy blue paint job and the folded wings. PeterN
should be able to confirm.

Savageduck