Details of Benbo ball head?

Old May 12th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

Default Details of Benbo ball head?

I just lucked into a Benbo 1 tripod at a car boot
sale, for a delightful price.

When I got it home, I discovered that the
tightening heads for the column and legs
didn't move smoothly; however since I also
enjoy tuning and restoring handtools,
I simply removed the knobs, which have a
simple 1/4" thread, ran a bottoming tap up
and down the hole, and ran a cleaning die
down the bolt, which removed some loose plastic
"flash" in 2 of the knobs. The tightening knobs now
run beautifully; 1/2 a turn from slack to solid.

I have found that other people have complained
of this stickiness, so I guess Benbo's QA could
do with improvement. Not a big task for me
and my workshop though :-)

The tripod has a ball head. This has a simple rectangular plate,
with a hole, partially threaded 3/8". There is no bolt
or tightener.

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?

BugBear
Old May 12th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:
[...]

The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old May 12th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?

The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

I was hoping to get the job done cheaper than that ;-)

I've gone through a similar exercise for a bolt
for a Gitzo, and didn't much like the price
of a single bolt!!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...f512fb34edad03

The Gitzo bolt I eventually got almost works in the Benbo;
but 3/8" section is a little too long.

But I have taps, dies and files in my workshop... (no lathe)

BugBear
Old May 13th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

bugbear wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?

The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

I note (from searching) that "most" benbo ball
heads had/have a round plate that runs up-and-down
the main thread that emerges from the ball.

Mine is not like this; it has a proper plate:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...benbo_head.jpg

BugBear
Old May 13th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

bugbear wrote:
bugbear wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?

The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

I note (from searching) that "most" benbo ball
heads had/have a round plate that runs up-and-down
the main thread that emerges from the ball.

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...cketheads.html

BugBear
Old May 13th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_]

? "bugbear" ?????? ??? ??????
et...
bugbear wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?

The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

I note (from searching) that "most" benbo ball
heads had/have a round plate that runs up-and-down
the main thread that emerges from the ball.

Mine is not like this; it has a proper plate:

And which tripod did you use to take the photo of that tripod? Isn't that a
bit of a paradox?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old May 13th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
? "bugbear" ?????? ??? ??????
et...
bugbear wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?
The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

I note (from searching) that "most" benbo ball
heads had/have a round plate that runs up-and-down
the main thread that emerges from the ball.

Mine is not like this; it has a proper plate:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...benbo_head.jpg

And which tripod did you use to take the photo of that tripod? Isn't that a
bit of a paradox?

I think paradox may be overstating. In fact it's not even
a contradiction.

Here's the secret: I've got more than one tripod.
(although I suppose I could also have taken the photo
hand held ;-)

BugBear
Old May 13th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jürgen Exner

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" wrote:
And which tripod did you use to take the photo of that tripod? Isn't that a
bit of a paradox?

If you insist on taking a photo of the tripod while using the tripod you
could e.g. use mirrors.

jue
Old May 14th 08, 11:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

Jürgen Exner wrote:
"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" wrote:
And which tripod did you use to take the photo of that tripod? Isn't that a
bit of a paradox?

If you insist on taking a photo of the tripod while using the tripod you
could e.g. use mirrors.

You mean like taking a photo of your camera
on a pano head, having only one camera?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../pano_head.jpg

BugBear (1 camera, 1 panohead, several tripods)
Old May 16th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bugbear

bugbear wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital bugbear wrote:

So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
or source for the camera holding bolt?

The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

I was hoping to get the job done cheaper than that ;-)

I've gone through a similar exercise for a bolt
for a Gitzo, and didn't much like the price
of a single bolt!!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...f512fb34edad03

The Gitzo bolt I eventually got almost works in the Benbo;
but 3/8" section is a little too long.

But I have taps, dies and files in my workshop... (no lathe)

I finally did a cheap job; I'm using a
simple 1/4" bolt, with a large nut on the back for tightening.
The bolt is made captive in the tripod-head-plate
by a simple rubber 'O' ring, costing 5 pence (UK).

BugBear