Just got Maxxum 9000 AF SLR

Old June 24th 04, 01:26 PM
Stephen M. Gluck

Default Just got Maxxum 9000 AF SLR

After well over 40 years of owning and using Minolta manual focus
SLR's, currently own and use SR-1, XE-7,XD-11 X-700, all lenses
between 21mm and 500mm, all macro equipment etc., I finally broke down
and bought a pristine Maxxm 9000, no LED bleed, camera, MD-90 motor
drive, power pack, and 35-70mm minolta zoom on ebay. All of the stuff
looks like it was rarely used by an amatuer. Not a bad toy to play
with for around $250. A couple of questions with repect to my new AF
toy. What is your take on zooms ? 70-210 Minolta zoom. What in yoiur
opinion are the best fixed focal length minolta auto focus lenses ?
What do you think of the AF4000 flash ? I already own a 360 PX with
the Power grip II. Is it compatible with the 9000 ? Is all of the
macro stuff other than the 50mm f3.5 macro lens compatible ? e.g. Auto
bellows I, focusing rail, 100mm f4 bellows lens . I have a Dine ring
light that works automatically with my XD-11, X700, and XE-7 will it
work with the 9000. ? Finally just how fast is the autofocus on this
first generation SLR ? Will it follow focus on a moving object such as
in sports ? Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old June 24th 04, 02:34 PM
Magnus W

Stephen M. Gluck wrote in
:

After well over 40 years of owning and using Minolta manual focus
SLR's, currently own and use SR-1, XE-7,XD-11 X-700, all lenses
between 21mm and 500mm, all macro equipment etc., I finally broke down
and bought a pristine Maxxm 9000, no LED bleed, camera, MD-90 motor
drive, power pack, and 35-70mm minolta zoom on ebay.

Well done! www.9000.org may be a site of interest to you.

toy. What is your take on zooms ? 70-210 Minolta zoom.

OK, here is the list of the classics: The 35-70/4 you most likely got with
the camera is great. The 70-210/4 (original version) is, too. The 24-50 and
100-200 zooms are renowned, but may not be useful enough range-wise. The
28-135 is legendary but huge, heavy, fragile, flare-prone and has a very
bad close focusing range.

Of course the 80-200/2.8 is great, too (even the old black version) but
it's not a "cult classic".

What in yoiur
opinion are the best fixed focal length minolta auto focus lenses ?

That depends.

The 100/2.8 macro and 85/1.4 are probably the most universally praised
lenses in the Minolta system. Optically unchanged since their introduction
in the eighties, they give stunning images. Pop photo had the following to
say about the 85: "An incredible, near mythical performance".

The 200/2.8 is a superb lens, too, one of the best. Personally I like the
135/2.8 [T4.5] STF and think it's one of the best, optically speaking.

What do you think of the AF4000 flash ?

It's good of course but can't hold a candle to the more recent flashes. The
flash head extends while zooming, which is bad, and it can't be swiveled
more than 90 degrees to each side.

I already own a 360 PX with
the Power grip II. Is it compatible with the 9000 ?

The 360PX, yes (including cables). The power grip, dunno.

Is all of the
macro stuff other than the 50mm f3.5 macro lens compatible ? e.g. Auto
bellows I, focusing rail, 100mm f4 bellows lens .

The AF system uses a different bayonet and the lenses cannot be mounted
directly. There is an adapter for SR mount to AF, however, and you can
drill out the optical element in it to get access to all your old macro
accessories (with a little more extension as the adapter adds its own
thickness obviously). This adapter is cheap and easy to find. The 9000 will
meter with all lenses, unlike more recent Minoltas.

I have a Dine ring
light that works automatically with my XD-11, X700, and XE-7 will it
work with the 9000. ?

Probably.

Finally just how fast is the autofocus on this
first generation SLR ? Will it follow focus on a moving object such as
in sports ?

No, not very well. Speed depends hugely on lenses: the 50/1.7 is quite
fast, the 35-70 you have too, a 85/1.4 is painfully slow, 300/2.8 with 2x
converter... well... no ;-)
Old June 24th 04, 06:32 PM
Alan Browne

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:

[...]

Ouch. 9xi I owuld understand, but the 9000?

Some answers (not all):

the 70-210 f/4 is a highly regarded, sharp lens. They can be
found used. The 70-210 variable aperture, while quite sharp is a
bit too slow at the long end.

The 100mm f/2.8 macro is the sharpest Maxxum lens, period.
Suitable for portraits as the bokeh is smooth.

I don't know about the flash shoe on the 9000 ... if it is the
"Maxxum" shoe then it will only work with Maxxum flashes. If
there is a PC sync on the camera you might get an adaptor for the
shoe and wire around it.
My Maxxum 5600HS (flash) book says to use it on a 9000 an adaptor
is required ... so you may be in luck with your current flashes
on the 9000.

No MC/MD lenses will fit the camera.

Asutofocus not so hot. Minolta only became real quick with the
Maxxum 9 and Maxxum 7.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 24th 04, 08:19 PM
Stephen M. Gluck

Thanks for the lenghty and complete answer. I now have a shopping list
for the next few months. As for Mr. Browne's comment (whose comments
I have read in the MinMan newsgroup). I hate the feel of
polycarbonate in my hands. I prefer a rugged all metal body and enjoy
the heft and feel of a "pro" camera.
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:34:21 GMT, Magnus W
wrote:

Stephen M. Gluck wrote in
:

Old June 24th 04, 10:01 PM
Alan Browne

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:
Thanks for the lenghty and complete answer. I now have a shopping list
for the next few months. As for Mr. Browne's comment (whose comments
I have read in the MinMan newsgroup). I hate the feel of
polycarbonate in my hands. I prefer a rugged all metal body and enjoy
the heft and feel of a "pro" camera.

Maxxum 9.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 25th 04, 03:54 AM
Stephen M. Gluck

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:01:12 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:
Thanks for the lenghty and complete answer. I now have a shopping list
for the next few months. As for Mr. Browne's comment (whose comments
I have read in the MinMan newsgroup). I hate the feel of
polycarbonate in my hands. I prefer a rugged all metal body and enjoy
the heft and feel of a "pro" camera.

Maxxum 9.

Sorry Alan the $1000 + price does not have a WAF factor (wife
Acceptance Factor) I love the 9 even had a chance to play with it at
B & H but, there is just no way I would be able to justify the
purchase and still remain married to the same woman. Although !!! Let
me see a change in camera and a change in woman !!!!!!!!!!!! Hm this
requires some thought.
Old June 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Alan Browne

Stephen M. Gluck wrote:

Maxxum 9.

Sorry Alan the $1000 + price does not have a WAF factor (wife
Acceptance Factor) I love the 9 even had a chance to play with it at
B & H but, there is just no way I would be able to justify the
purchase and still remain married to the same woman. Although !!! Let
me see a change in camera and a change in woman !!!!!!!!!!!! Hm this
requires some thought.

Oddly enough, my former wife and I were breaking up at about the
time that I bought the 9... but the two events were not at all
related.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--