polarizing filter or natural density 0.6?

Old June 23rd 04, 04:29 PM
Nick Zentena

Default polarizing filter or natural density 0.6?

Alan Browne wrote:
Nick Zentena wrote:

James Cloud wrote:

Nick, I am thinking of shooting at f/8 or lower of street performers
in bright sun. For landscape shots, I guess the ND won't help much,
will it?

Depends. If you're taking a photo of moving water and want the water to be
moving in the photo you need a slow shutter speed. So you'd want the ND. Or

...moving in the photo? There's a trick! I think you mean
'blurred' in the photo.

if you didn't want a lot of DOF for some reason you might want one.

...not much with a 0.6 ND. An ND 4 (2 stops) or ND 8 (4 stops),
etc. is more like it.

0.6 is two stops isn't it? 0.3 is one.

Nick
Old June 23rd 04, 04:30 PM
Nick Zentena

TP wrote:
Nick Zentena wrote:

The difference between perception and reality

The difference between the English language and BS, more like.

Photographs are worth 1000 words. Not sure what language they use. It
seems you've never seen one. Right?

Nick
Old June 23rd 04, 04:31 PM
Nick Zentena

Alan Browne wrote:

...moving in the photo? There's a trick! I think you mean
'blurred' in the photo.

Missed this. You mean motion blur? Right?

Nick
Old June 23rd 04, 05:03 PM
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

...not much with a 0.6 ND. An ND 4 (2 stops) or ND 8 (4 stops), etc. is

OOPS! ND 8 (3 stops).

Old June 23rd 04, 05:17 PM
Alan Browne

Nick Zentena wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

...not much with a 0.6 ND. An ND 4 (2 stops) or ND 8 (4 stops),

ooops ND 8 (3 stops).

etc. is more like it.

0.6 is two stops isn't it? 0.3 is one.

Yes, or rather you're right and I'm right... the confusion stems
as follows:

In the B+W numbering scheme, for example,
the model 103 is labeled: "103 0.9 - 3 BL 8x"
Not sure what the BL is all about, but the 8x is what is common
with the other filters. (Tiffen, Heliopan ND's are also numbered
0.3, 0.6, 0.9). When ordered the B+W I focused on the filter
factor (8x) to be sure I knew what I would be getting.

In the Hoya numbering scheme the same would simply be an NDx8 for
a 3 stop filter. Similar numbering for Cokin, Sunpak and Nikon
ND filters. I keep the old Hoya catalog as it has a useful color
temp chart as well as a filter factor chart. Convenient.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't know why the filter
manufacturers don't number ND's by stops (EV). That would be the
least ambiguous, most helpful way.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 23rd 04, 07:48 PM
James Cloud

Alan Browne wrote in message ...
Nick Zentena wrote:

James Cloud wrote:

Nick, I am thinking of shooting at f/8 or lower of street performers
in bright sun. For landscape shots, I guess the ND won't help much,
will it?

Depends. If you're taking a photo of moving water and want the water to be
moving in the photo you need a slow shutter speed. So you'd want the ND. Or

...moving in the photo? There's a trick! I think you mean
'blurred' in the photo.

if you didn't want a lot of DOF for some reason you might want one.

...not much with a 0.6 ND. An ND 4 (2 stops) or ND 8 (4 stops),
etc. is more like it.

Cheers,
Alan

0.6 ND is the same as ND 4, no?

Thanks for all your advise.
Old June 24th 04, 03:24 PM
Alan Browne

James Cloud wrote:

0.6 ND is the same as ND 4, no?

Yep, my confusion, see other reply to Nick regarding numbering
scheme used by different manufs.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 25th 04, 04:39 AM
Matt Clara

"James Cloud" wrote in message
om...
Nick Zentena wrote in message

James Cloud wrote:
I am a photography newbie. I am looking for a filter to use when
shooting under bright afternoon sun in high altitude. Which one do
you prefer?

A warming filter? Why do you want the ND? Are you using film that's

too
fast? An older camera with a slow top shutter? I guess what I'm asking

is
what are you trying to get the filter to do for you?

Nick

Nick, I am thinking of shooting at f/8 or lower of street performers
in bright sun. For landscape shots, I guess the ND won't help much,
will it?
James

What you need is fill flash.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 25th 04, 05:52 AM
Matt Clara

"James Cloud" wrote in message
m...
I am a photography newbie. I am looking for a filter to use when
shooting under bright afternoon sun in high altitude. Which one do
you prefer?

James

I'll say it one more time, as a direct reply in this thread--to shoot the
group of performers you describe, outdoors with direct sunlight, I'd try to
use fill flash to help fill in the shadows, and not use any filter at all.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com