Spadaro Bitches About Leica Some More, Must Want One

Old June 15th 04, 12:42 AM
Ted Azito

Default Spadaro Bitches About Leica Some More, Must Want One

How well does your M6 focus with fisheyes, long lenses, macro lenses?
To me, general purpose photography means that my camera assists me with
creating the image that I have in mind. It doesn't mean shooting the rather
narrow range of subjects most people are shooting.

In the case of true fisheyes (where optical distortion is desired)
you can use a SLR but usually the mirror has to be locked up anyway
because the back of the lens protrudes inside the camera.

If you are doing macrophotography, microphotography, or
astrophotography you well may want a SLR. Ditto if you are using very
long lenses. If that's mostly what you do than a SLR is what you need.

I never do, and don't.

SLR doesn't have anything to do with auto anything. It is just a way of
showing what your lens is doing. With an SLR you can immediately see
geometric distortions, light fall off, bokeh, etc.

SLR does not mean 'budget basement plastic thingy'. Maybe it does for you,
but there plenty of SLRs that 30 years old and work without any problems.

There are many fine metal mechanical SLRs, or were. The numbers have
been whittled down somewhat. I find rangefinders and TLRs often better
all-around cameras for what I do, and while not everyone will, many
people automatically buy SLRs because there are a lot of them in the
camera stores. I also have several SLRs and use them, including a F2
and F3 Nikon with several cool accessories, such as the bulk back and
cassettes for the F2, and several great Nikkors-and IMO the best
Nikkors are the best lenses in the world-including the 200mm Medical
Nikkor that is a really fun toy.

People like the Massengill-sniffing "cameraists" who promote whatever
latest autofocus polycarbonate crap (and there are well-made autofocus
SLRs, as well as many more that are trash, that work well-but will you
be able to use them 50 years from now when the tantalum SMD caps are
dead and the EEPROM has deflashed?) the major manufacturers peddle,
are doing everyone a disservice. People absolutely should feel guilty
about buying many of the crappy cameras on offer today. Just as they
should have felt guilty about buying a lot of the crappy cameras that
were sold by the millions years ago that are now all dead dust
collectors.

What's the "leica look"? TP 35mm Photo Equipment 68 June 24th 04 05:05 PM
LEICA / Panasonic -- The Real Deal?? David Kilpatrick Digital Photography 0 June 23rd 04 10:38 PM
Leica M TP 35mm Photo Equipment 13 June 18th 04 11:21 PM
Leica Digital M Body - LEAK Jeb Sebastian Film & Labs 15 May 30th 04 04:52 PM