camera for my father

Old December 7th 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default camera for my father

steph wrote:
Hi group,

My mother wants to buy a digital camera for my father as a gift. And
my task is to choose one!

My father is 68 years old and he doesn't like computers and technical
gadgets. He likes photograpy, but he only used to cameras with film up
to now - has never used a digital one. I know, if he gets one that's
too complicated, wigh cryptic menues and too many useless functions,
he'll never use it and it's going to be a waste of money.

So basically I'm looking for a camera that somehow resambles an old
analog camera, that is a camera with automatic exposure and focus,
with view finder (not ony a screen on the back) which produces fotos
of decent quality. price should be around 300€. so far i didn't find
any model that fits my needs. any ideas?

thanks,
stephan

Any Kodak model under $200. They are easy to use, and produce pictures
that should be satisfactory to him, and he will be comfortable with the
brand name. Emphasize that he can take the 'electronic film' to
Wal-Mart and get prints just like he did with the film camera, but that
he gets to reuse the 'electronic film'. He should be quite happy.
Old December 7th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:13:19 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

steph wrote:
[...]

If an approach like that is taken, it would be very good to walk him
through the process a couple of times before turning him loose - and
follow up periodically.
Old December 7th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

steph wrote:
[...]

You're all making assumptions. "Only used to cameras that use film up
to now" doesn't mean that he has a point and shoot and takes his film
to Wal-Mart.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old December 7th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

--

I doubt he develops his own.
Old December 8th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

steph wrote:
[...]

That's the thing--find out, don't assume. For example kids today
might assume that someone who was shooting large format was into
old-timey non technical stuff because the equipment is made out of
cloth and wood.

If he's got an SLR with a bag of lenses then a digital point-and-shoot
isn't likely to be all that interesting to him, while a body that
works with his lenses very likely would.

Old December 8th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack S

steph wrote:
[...]

A P&S might rekindle one's interest in photography because they didn't want to
haul around that bag of lenses with the tripod anymore. I for one am grateful
that I no longer have to haul 25 lbs. of photo gear everywhere I go. The
convenience of an excellent P&S camera made me reconsider places I refused to
travel to before, the shots I wouldn't bother to risk taking, new possibilities
I hadn't even considered before. You'd be surprised how it opens your eyes once
you get rid of those d/SLR bricks and anchors.
Old December 8th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

steph wrote:
[...]

There is a very strong suggestion in the OP that the father is basically a
technophobe. Whether or not that is an accurate assessment can only come
from the OP. Even if he HAS an SLR with a bag of lenses, the implication
is that he is not 'into' computers.
Old December 8th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Default OT camera for my father

Jack S (vern/Keoeeit/anti-dslr-troll) wrote:

A P&S might rekindle one's interest in photography because they didn't want to
haul around that bag of lenses with the tripod anymore. I for one am grateful
that I no longer have to haul 25 lbs. of photo gear everywhere I go.

Yes, getting old is a bitch. One just has to accept less than the best.

The
convenience of an excellent P&S camera made me reconsider places I refused to
travel to before, the shots I wouldn't bother to risk taking, new possibilities
I hadn't even considered before. You'd be surprised how it opens your eyes once
you get rid of those d/SLR bricks and anchors.

Well, that's an interesting revelation!!!
So, Vern/Keoeeit/anti-dslr-troll now claims he *owned a DSLR*!!!

Ok, let's assume that was a typo and he meant slr. Which one/s did he
own? Exactly *why* on earth was he foolish enough to buy it/them?

Old December 8th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:23:43 -0600, Jack offed:

A P&S might rekindle one's interest in photography because they didn't want to
haul around that bag of lenses with the tripod anymore. I for one am grateful
that I no longer have to haul 25 lbs. of photo gear everywhere I go. The
convenience of an excellent P&S camera made me reconsider places I refused to
travel to before, the shots I wouldn't bother to risk taking, new possibilities
I hadn't even considered before. You'd be surprised how it opens your eyes once
you get rid of those d/SLR bricks and anchors.

But all of the award winning photos you've got locked away were
taken with your old film SLRs and its fine lenses. Your new P&S
cameras are more convenient, but due to their inferior image
quality, you're now the laughing stock of your peers, sock puppets
excluded.

Old December 8th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:41:14 +1000, Mark Thomas wrote:

Well, that's an interesting revelation!!!
So, Vern/Keoeeit/anti-dslr-troll now claims he *owned a DSLR*!!!

You caught that too. I'm not surprised.

Ok, let's assume that was a typo and he meant slr. Which one/s did he
own? Exactly *why* on earth was he foolish enough to buy it/them?

He hadn't yet discovered the superiority of Instamatics.