Digital camera with GPS capability

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23rd 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Default Digital camera with GPS capability

Mr. Strat wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

During my recent trip in the wilderness, our corporate sponsor
organization brought a digital camera which is equipped with GPS
insert. Each photos will have the coordinates of the location where
it was taken, and is shown at the bottom of each picture. The camera
is a Caplio Ricoh Pro G3. I think the camera is a few years old, as I
recall that it was also available during my previous trips. However, I
could not find this particular camera model in the web. They have
shown the G3, but I wonder about the difference between them (Pro G#
vs. G3). I also recall that the new Ricoh 500SE is GPS ready. I also
heard about the new Pentax Optio WPi, which can also be used to record
GPS.
What about other brand name cameras, such as Nikon and Canon? Do they
all have the capabilities to receive coordinate data from a GPS
transmitter nearby (via blue tooth or infra red), or in the case of
Caplio Pro G3, it was some kind of GPS card receiver inserted directly
in the special chamber in the camera. Anyone knows whether other
professional digital cameras have this capability?

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

Useless? To YOU maybe. I am sure that if you use your camera in a
studio, or your home, this isn't a feature you would want to pay for.
However, for MY purposes, it would be a very valuable feature.
You aren't the only person in the world you know.