Image stabilization in body, camera held by lens?

Old June 4th 12, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

Default Image stabilization in body, camera held by lens?

So I have taken the plunge and ordered the Olympus OM-D E-M5 through a
local camera store. I also ordered the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom lens
used from a highly rated dealer on Amazon (knock on wood). I got a
chance to heft a version of this in the store; it's quite heavy. Hand-
held shooting is going to be problematic with this monster. My
question, is sensor-based IS able to do the job when the lens, as
opposed to the camera, is what is being held?

A brief polemic: I went to Mike's Camera in Boulder to see the latest
Panasonic cameras (the new Olympus, alas, seems to be backordered
*everywhere*) handle the big-ass lens, see how it would mount to a
tripod, and ask questions about stuff the internet doesn't tell me.
I then purchased the camera through the store, so that they would
continue to be there so I *can* see and pick up hardware and ask
questions before I buy it. Support your local brick-and-mortar camera
store, or someday you will be buying everything sight unseen.

I drew the line at buying the zoom lens there though--I would have
if they delt in used gear, but they only sell new, and I have to save
money on this folly *somewhere*.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

Old June 4th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Paul Ciszek wrote:
My
question, is sensor-based IS able to do the job when the lens, as
opposed to the camera, is what is being held?

You are supposed to hold the lens with your left hand anyway.
(If you use both hands, how do you squeeze the trigger?) So why
shouldn't IS work there?

-Wolfgang
Old June 4th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

(Paul Ciszek) writes:

So I have taken the plunge and ordered the Olympus OM-D E-M5 through a
local camera store. I also ordered the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom lens
used from a highly rated dealer on Amazon (knock on wood). I got a
chance to heft a version of this in the store; it's quite heavy. Hand-
held shooting is going to be problematic with this monster. My
question, is sensor-based IS able to do the job when the lens, as
opposed to the camera, is what is being held?

Unless I'm missing something, that's a Four Thirds lens, not a Micro
Four Thirds. Which means you need the adapter to use in on the OM-D
E-M5, and I think the AF gets somewhat compromised.

On the other hand, yikes, there really *is* a 50-200/2.8-3.5 lens.
That's spectactular, and it's *cheap*!

A brief polemic: I went to Mike's Camera in Boulder to see the latest
Panasonic cameras (the new Olympus, alas, seems to be backordered
*everywhere*) handle the big-ass lens, see how it would mount to a
tripod, and ask questions about stuff the internet doesn't tell me.
I then purchased the camera through the store, so that they would
continue to be there so I *can* see and pick up hardware and ask
questions before I buy it. Support your local brick-and-mortar camera
store, or someday you will be buying everything sight unseen.

Yeah, if fondling the gear is an important part of my process, then I
need to support the places that keep fondleable gear around.
--
David Dyer-Bennet,
; http://dd-b.net/
Old June 5th 12, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Paul Ciszek says...
My
question, is sensor-based IS able to do the job when the lens, as
opposed to the camera, is what is being held?

Yes, it makes no difference if you handhold the camera or the lens.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 5th 12, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, that's a Four Thirds lens, not a Micro
Four Thirds. Which means you need the adapter to use in on the OM-D
E-M5, and I think the AF gets somewhat compromised.

Supposedly the u4/3 cameras were meant to be usable with 4/3 lenses,
since at first that was all that was available. I have an Olympus
adapter, so it should "play nice" with the Olympus lens and Olympus
camera, when it arrives.

I went with the f/2.8 version so it would still be usable after losing
two stops to a 2x teleconverter (also Olympus).

Old June 8th 12, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Paul Ciszek wrote:

So I have taken the plunge and ordered the Olympus OM-D E-M5 through a
local camera store. I also ordered the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom lens
used from a highly rated dealer on Amazon (knock on wood). I got a
chance to heft a version of this in the store; it's quite heavy. Hand-
held shooting is going to be problematic with this monster. My
question, is sensor-based IS able to do the job when the lens, as
opposed to the camera, is what is being held?

I don't think it cares. I've found it to work (in Sony cameras) even
when the source of the camera shake was the very heavy static friction
breaking hydraulic hum of a hydraulic "cherry picker" platform I was
standing on to get a high viewpoint, and when it's due to
photographing from the windows of a moving vehicle.

--
Chris Malcolm