ACDSee 10 Photo Manager

Old October 11th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
BRH

Default ACDSee 10 Photo Manager

Just wondering whether anyone here is using ACDSee 10 Photo Manager.
And, if so, what your experiences have been. I think that it's only
recently been released (Version 10), so perhaps it's not being widely
used yet.

I downloaded the 30-day trial and, based upon a quick look, it seems
pretty slick (although I can't compare it against previous versions). I
particularly like the Photo Calendar view.

I haven't tried tagging and cataloging yet, since I'm not sure yet
whether I'll be buying it after the trial period expires. Can anyone
comment on how useful the database functions are? I don't have a huge
number of photos (yet) - the number is below 1000 at this point. How
does it run after the datavase records (photos) number in the thousands?
Any tips on how to tag/catalog efficiently?

Any thoughts on this product (positive or negative) would be welcomed.

Thanks.
Old October 13th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

BRH wrote:
Just wondering whether anyone here is using ACDSee 10 Photo Manager.
And, if so, what your experiences have been. I think that it's only
recently been released (Version 10), so perhaps it's not being widely
used yet.

I downloaded the 30-day trial and, based upon a quick look, it seems
pretty slick (although I can't compare it against previous versions). I
particularly like the Photo Calendar view.

I haven't tried tagging and cataloging yet, since I'm not sure yet
whether I'll be buying it after the trial period expires. Can anyone
comment on how useful the database functions are? I don't have a huge
number of photos (yet) - the number is below 1000 at this point. How
does it run after the datavase records (photos) number in the thousands?
Any tips on how to tag/catalog efficiently?

ACD4's database (few years old version) gets corrupt above a certain
size so I don't use if for annotation. I do use the program though, for
browsing & culling & batch renaming new sort orders. My old version is
quick & handy. I love that I can right-click & browse a folder & it
opens fast.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old October 14th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Psygnosis - Silent Running

The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta period
and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I think it is the
best version they have released. But, we are talking about the Pro 2 version
and not the cheaper standard version.

One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include with it.
They have a much better one that they sell seperatly. However, I will not
buy it as I feel it should have been included with the Pro 2 program.

For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect (far from
it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can process 1500
shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to shoot 1500 during a
day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to get through the quickly.

Psynosis

Old October 14th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:

The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I think
it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking about the
Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.

One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include with
it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly. However, I
will not buy it as I feel it should have been included with the Pro 2
program.

For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect (far
from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can process
1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to shoot 1500
during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to get through
the quickly.

Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
it'll do some particular thing.

PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really stuck
on file folder names doing most of the organizing.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old October 14th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
BRH

Paul Furman wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you both for your replies. Since I already have CaptureNX for
processing my Raw images, I don't want to make the investment into
Lightroom or (probably) ACDSeePro 2.

The main thing I'm looking for is efficiency in tagging/cataloging and
displaying images because the browswer feature in Capture NX and the
View NX don't seem to cut it for me.

Paul - Would you know was ACDSEE Pro offers in those areas that ACDSee
10 Photo Manager doesn't?

Thanks again!
Old October 18th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter Lawrence

BRH wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

[...]

If you are just interested in a photo browser (and not RAW file
converter), there's none better than Photo Mechanic by CameraBits.
Highly recommended.

http://www.camerabits.com/pages/PM4.html

- Peter