Aperture

Old November 16th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Conrad

Default Aperture

Hi,

I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
with the program and how I use it.

What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
platform?

TIA,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Old November 16th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andy Hewitt

Conrad wrote:

Hi,

I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
with the program and how I use it.

What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
platform?

Aperture is a RAW workflow manager. You use it to import your images (it
can adjust other images as well), and can replace Photoshop if you only
use it to adjust images. Aperture has the advantage of not having to
convert forats to make adjustments, so you can easily go back and change
adjustments any time.

On a Mac Mini it will be rather slow, and will need the RAM to be maxed.
However, if you are trying to work this at a Pro level, then you have
the wrong hardware anyway.

If you are a very light user, then you'd probably be better off with
iPhoto.

It is not a Windows app, for that look up Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/
Old November 16th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Digital Photography Now

Try using Photoshop, even with Bridge and ACR, to evaluate and process a lot
of images and you quickly see why Apple saw an opportunity with Aperture and
why, after acquiring Macromedia, Adobe used a Macromedia project to
kick-start its response to Aperture, called LightRoom.

Both Aperture and LightRoom provide fast and powerful ways of viewing and
adjusting a lot of pictures. They don't really offer powerful layer-based
pixel-level manipulation of images or special effects, so they actually
complement Photoshop.

Aperture has a head start, but it will be interesting to see how well Adobe
plays the catch-up game - in some ways Adobe has the advantage by being able
to target what Aperture has already achieved and then doing more.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

oups.com...

Old November 16th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Andy Hewitt wrote:
Conrad wrote:

[...]

I read on the Lightroom forum that there was a trial of Aperture
available. Followed the link, but the actual download was hidden
somewhere I couldn't get to between some registration pages.

If anyone has successfully d/l'ed the app, please post a link and
directions!

Lightroom for the Mac is similar in intent to Aperture, but is cross
platform, one reason I prefer L/R, although I'd like to try out Aperture.

--
John McWilliams
Old November 16th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John
McWilliams wrote:

I read on the Lightroom forum that there was a trial of Aperture
available. Followed the link, but the actual download was hidden
somewhere I couldn't get to between some registration pages.

i don't know what link they gave, but it is not hidden. go to the main
aperture page:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

and click on 'free trial' at the top right, which goes to:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

then fill out the information and receive a trial serial number.
Old November 16th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article .com,
Conrad wrote:

Hi,

I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
with the program and how I use it.

What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at?

Aperture is more oriented toward asset management and camera raw
adjustments than is Photoshop. Photoshop is designed to manipulate
images at the pixel level, Aperture at the overall level, plus its
organizational skills (Lightroom has better options for adjustment,
IMO, but Aperture's got FAR better organizational tools.

platform? Does it run on the Windows

No. Not now, not ever, according to Apple.

TIA,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Ah, my old stompin' grounds. I've fished and floated the Metolious
since I was a kid floatin' down it on an air mattress, and long before
it was barbless hook only. Seen the nude hippie camps [back in the
70-'s] at where Canyon Creek empties into it. Saddened by the fire a
couple of years ago, although glad it didn't make it all the way to
Camp Sherman itself. Been on top of all three Sisters, Bachelor,
Broken Top, Jefferson, Washington, & Three Fingered Jack. I spent a
week over there about a month ago (stayed at Eagle Crest, though), got
some fantastic pictures of Smith Rock at daybreak. Lemme know when
there's a good snowfall over there (should have been, the last week or
so, but probably not down low enough), 'cause I've got several
locations scouted for some snow pictures I want.
Old November 16th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Lawrence

Conrad wrote:
Hi,

I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
with the program and how I use it.

What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
platform?

Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
MacMini nor the iBook have.

- Peter

Old November 16th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

nospam wrote:
In article , John
McWilliams wrote:

I read on the Lightroom forum that there was a trial of Aperture
available. Followed the link, but the actual download was hidden
somewhere I couldn't get to between some registration pages.

i don't know what link they gave, but it is not hidden. go to the main
aperture page:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

and click on 'free trial' at the top right, which goes to:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

then fill out the information and receive a trial serial number.

Thanks. "Hidden" was a poor choice of words. The page that now comes up
and effects the download (affects it, too!) wouldn't come up the last
time I tried it. It's going on in the bg now.

--
John McWilliams
Old November 17th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Peter Lawrence wrote:
Conrad wrote:
Hi,

I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
with the program and how I use it.

What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
platform?

Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
MacMini nor the iBook have.

It will run fine on some PowerPC's, such as the G-5, which I just
installed it on this noon.

--
john mcwilliams
Old November 17th 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Lawrence

John McWilliams wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote:
Conrad wrote:
Hi,

I'm presently using Photoshop CS2 on a MacMini. I'm quite satisfied
with the program and how I use it.

What people is Apple's Aperture aimed at? Does it run on the Windows
platform?

Note that Aperture will only work with the new INTEL based MacMini. It
won't install (let alone run) on the older PowerPC based MacMini (nor
iBook). It requires a fast graphics card that neither the PowerPC
MacMini nor the iBook have.

It will run fine on some PowerPC's, such as the G-5, which I just
installed it on this noon.

That's correct. It runs fine on my PowerMac G5 tower too; it will even
run on some of the later PowerBooks with G4 PowerPC chips as long as
the PowerBooks have a fast enough graphics processor.

I was just pointing out to the original poster who stated that he was
using a MacMini (but didn't state if it was an Intel based or a PowerPC
based MacMini) that Aperture will not run on the older PowerPC based
MacMini (nor the PowerPC based iBook).

- Peter