"Fashion" lighting question

Old May 3rd 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe[_4_]

Default "Fashion" lighting question

There's a technique used by a number of fashion photographers (David
Lachapelle, etc.) where (my guess is) they shoot out doors, with a
polarizer and a flash to highlight the subject, darken the background
and give an unnatural/"fashion" look to the photo. I was wondering
how
this technique is performed? Polarizer vs circular polarizer...does
the flash need to be set a certain amount above the ambient light (I
imagine this would also be subject to the desired effect the
photographer wanted to achieve). Just looking for some general guide
lines.

Thanks,

Joe

Old May 4th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stefan Patric

On Thu, 03 May 2007 14:44:39 -0700, Joe wrote:

There's a technique used by a number of fashion photographers (David
Lachapelle, etc.) where (my guess is) they shoot out doors, with a
polarizer and a flash to highlight the subject, darken the background
and give an unnatural/"fashion" look to the photo. I was wondering how
this technique is performed? Polarizer vs circular polarizer...does the
flash need to be set a certain amount above the ambient light (I imagine
this would also be subject to the desired effect the photographer wanted
to achieve). Just looking for some general guide lines.

This type of lighting technique is just one of unbalanced mixing of
exposures: Set the camera to underexpose daylight by 1 to 2 stops (or
more); but the flash to expose properly. In other words, the flash
exposure is 1 to 2 stops more than the ambient light exposure. Usually,
you need to shoot the subject close to the camera using a normal to
moderate wide angle lens, so the flash illuminates ONLY the subject and
very little of anything else.

You don't NEED a polarizer or other filter for this technique unless
you're looking for some kind of special effect.

Stef
Old May 5th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Bobert

In article ,
Stefan Patric wrote:

[...]

Having your assistant hold a reflector is a quick and easy method. You get
feedback before you take the shot.
--

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a
suitable application of high explosives.

Bob in Central CA