printer recommendation - for wide prints

Old August 12th 04, 08:18 AM
JC Dill

Default printer recommendation - for wide prints

I have been using an Epson 1280 at work. I need to either A) buy print
cartridges for it or B) buy my own printer. I may not be working there
much longer (I'm a contract employee, and I'm itching to start doing
photography full time), so I'll have to buy my own eventually at some
point anyhow.

I would like to buy something that can do large format prints. The
Epson can print up to 13 inches wide and I bought 2 boxes of 13x19
glossy and watercolor paper to print for a portrait customer and I was
quite happy with the results, so I'm looking for something of similar
use and quality. What are the Canon and HP equivalents to the Epson for
this purpose? I'm a bit leery of buying an Epson that is this expensive
given that I have a 1520 that is dead due to a clogged vacuum tube to
the black print head, due to sitting unused for several months. I have
heard that this is a common problems with Epson printers, so unless I
hear that it isn't a know problem with the 1280 I'm inclined to get a
non-Epson that can better take being left idle without risk of clogging up.

Thanks!

jc

Old August 12th 04, 08:49 AM
Bob Williams

JC Dill wrote:
[...]

Don't trash your 1520 just yet.
Connect a hypodermic syringe filled with Windex to the vacuum tube with
a piece of PVC tubing. Inject about 1-2 ml into the tube. Let it soak
for 10-15 minutes and inject another 1-2 ml.
If any other jets are plugged, give them the same treatment.
Try it, you will like it.
Bob Williams

Old August 12th 04, 09:56 AM
gsum

If you want to make a living from photography, the Epson 1280 is
definately not the way to go as the prints will fade and your customers
will complain. Pro photographers need pro gear i.e. the Epson
4000 or the Epson 7600. These use archive quality inks and media,
are much cheaper to run than the 1280 and do not clog. The 7600
has a 24 inch wide carriage and will print on anything from art paper
to photo paper to canvas but you'll need a camera that is capable
of making the most of that huge print size.

Graham

Old August 12th 04, 12:32 PM
YoYo

I can speak for the Canon i9900 it is an
excellent photo printer! Prints up to
13"x19" or down to 4"x6" edge to edge
prints. If you like Glossy Photos the
Canon is better Epson.

Oh Yea speed, print a 13"x19" glossy
edge to edge photo in 3 minutes.

Good luck with your choice

"JC Dill"
wrote
in message

Old August 12th 04, 03:41 PM
Bill Hilton

From: JC Dill

I would like to buy something that can do large format prints. The
Epson can print up to 13 inches wide and I bought 2 boxes of 13x19
glossy and watercolor paper to print for a portrait customer and I was
quite happy with the results, so I'm looking for something of similar
use and quality. What are the Canon and HP equivalents to the Epson for
this purpose?

HP doesn't offer anything in this size, Canon has a good one roughly equivalent
to the 1280 (similar print quality and longevity, much faster prints though).
If you're selling prints the Epson 2200 is probably the best bet since the
prints last a long time, and the Premium Luster is an excellent portrait paper.
The two negatives about this printer are that it doesn't do as well on glossy
paper and that it's more expensive, but the pigment inks make it worth it to
many of us.

I have heard that this (clogging) is a common problems with Epson printers,
so unless I
hear that it isn't a know problem with the 1280 I'm inclined to get a
non-Epson that can better take being left idle without risk of clogging up.

The earlier Epsons had this problem more than the newer ones. I have a 1280,
which has air bubbles once a week or so, and a 2200, which has them once in
three months, if that.

Here's a well-written overview of all three 13x19" printers currently
available. They sell all three models so don't have a dog in the fight so to
speak.

http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html scroll down to "Q:
What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is best?"

I'd get the 2200 if I were in your shoes, since you're selling prints.

Bill

Old August 12th 04, 03:41 PM
Bill Hilton

Old August 12th 04, 03:41 PM