Let me guess; 20 years for a sensor to appear from this?

Old October 6th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Let me guess; 20 years for a sensor to appear from this?

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old October 6th 20, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 19:39:32 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

Do you remember when lasers were 'an invention looking for an
application'?

Eric Stevens
Old October 6th 20, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...ltrafast_full-
spectrum_photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

Do you remember when lasers were 'an invention looking for an
application'?

not even remotely similar.
Old October 6th 20, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ec681ae6-62b5-4543-9015-
, says...

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

True. We all know about carbon nanotubes and remember, "the space elevator!!"

Not quite as bad as battery research where for some time almost
weekly they were announcing a breakthrough. But would be great
if they managed to bring this into actual production and the
sensor performed well.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old October 6th 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

True. We all know about carbon nanotubes and remember, "the space elevator!!"

Not quite as bad as battery research where for some time almost
weekly they were announcing a breakthrough. But would be great
if they managed to bring this into actual production and the
sensor performed well.

The equivalent now seems to be fusion. Every month or two there are
optimistic articles in the press saying "This could be it!". Presumably
prompted by those looking for financial backing.
Old October 8th 20, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

Do you remember when lasers were 'an invention looking for an
application'?

The earliest patent applications note various potential uses so you'll
need a different analogy.

Old October 8th 20, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.
True.Â* We all know about carbon nanotubes and remember, "the space
elevator!!"

Not quite as bad as battery research where for some time almost
weekly they were announcing a breakthrough. But would be great
if they managed to bring this into actual production and the
sensor performed well.

The equivalent now seems to be fusion. Every month or two there are
optimistic articles in the press saying "This could be it!". Presumably
prompted by those looking for financial backing.

Commercial fusion energy is a mere 20 years away. And has been for
nearly 60 years.

(That said, recent advances in incredibly powerful magnets are making it
more and more likely).

Old October 8th 20, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.
True.Â* We all know about carbon nanotubes and remember, "the space
elevator!!"

Not quite as bad as battery research where for some time almost
weekly they were announcing a breakthrough. But would be great
if they managed to bring this into actual production and the
sensor performed well.

The equivalent now seems to be fusion. Every month or two there are
optimistic articles in the press saying "This could be it!". Presumably
prompted by those looking for financial backing.

Commercial fusion energy is a mere 20 years away. And has been for
nearly 60 years.

Ditto for Directed Energy weapons...

(That said, recent advances in incredibly powerful magnets are making it
more and more likely).

Same, although the recent change in DE has been in higher power
solid state devices; state of the art is looking at 50kW laser
systems which now are only a couple of cubic meters and weigh
only a couple of tons (including prime power & cooling). But its
still decades from a Star Trek phaser / Star Wars blaster pistol.

-hh
Old October 9th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

Do you remember when lasers were 'an invention looking for an
application'?

The earliest patent applications note various potential uses so you'll
need a different analogy.

It's not an analogy. Its a quote. I quoted from memory but according
to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser "When lasers were
invented in 1960, they were called "a solution looking for a
problem".[75]". My point is that it is it took a long time before it
became the ubiquitous thing it is today.

Eric Stevens
Old October 9th 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

Do you remember when lasers were 'an invention looking for an
application'?

The earliest patent applications note various potential uses so you'll
need a different analogy.

It's not an analogy. Its a quote. I quoted from memory but according
to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser "When lasers were
invented in 1960, they were called "a solution looking for a
problem".[75]".

Quoting an patty or ignorance position from 1960 when, in 1959,
practical uses for lasers had already been proposed amidst patent
applications, doesn't fly very much.

Wikipedia is fantastic, but cherry picking data from it is not wise.