Epson 4990 4x5 scanning experience?

Old April 29th 05, 04:36 PM
Dave Anderson

I also have the Nikon 8000, and it is somewhat sharper than the 4990 for
medium format work and noticeably sharper when scanning 35mm. I use the
4490 for 4x5 and 9x12 only and use the dedicated film scanner for the
smaller formats. Sorry, no universal scanner out there yet that can compete
with the quality of a dedicated film scanner for smaller film sizes.

As to the different models, Epson differentiates the Pro model by providing
Silverfast along with the basic scanner. I have found that Epson Scan is
much improved and use it most of the time.

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
"Dave Anderson" wrote:

I have a Epson 4990 and thought I'd run the test you have all been
speculating about. I scanned a 4x5 transparency using Epson Scan using
4800dpi in 16bits per channel (48bit color). No other filters,
sharpening
etc. The scan took 9 minutes and resulted in a very nice 2.1GB file. I
opened it up in Photoshop CS and it was fine. Once loaded it was no
trouble
to move around, zoom in or out, apply sharpening, or spot. My computer
is
home-built 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM.

So, in conclusion, the 4990 doesn't suffer from a "buffer" limitation at
3000 dpi and above when scanning 4x5 16 bit images.

Regards,

Dave Anderson

I seem to recall you also said awhile back you felt it was a clearly
better scanner than the 2450? How about with 35mm slides?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old April 30th 05, 01:46 PM
Steven Kefford

Leonard Evens wrote:

Dave,
Thank you! This is great news. Now I see there are two
versions of the 4990, one called 4990 PRO, and the other
4990 PHOTO. The PHOTO version is about $450, the
PRO ~ $600. Which model was your test on?

I did ask a question of Epson Tech Support. Their
response was a parroting of the scanners specs--totally
useless. (I found out about the different models
after I asked the question.)

In the past, the difference between the two versions was the additional
software provided in the Pro version.

The difference is in the supplied software, and reading the scanner
specs will give this information. The scanner is the same.

Steve