thumbnail sizes

Old January 8th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default thumbnail sizes

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

But I suppose he has
a point in a very limited context: If you only
have Linux and if you don't have any tool to
do batch thumbnail production...

welcome to linux.

and that's what
you want to do... and you don't mind spending a
couple of hours learning commandline incantations...
and you don't much care about the quality of
the thumbnails... then ImageMagick might be a
very good choice.

yep.

It could also be handy for similar,
simple batch tasks like resizing hundreds of images.
But on Windows (and no doubt on Mac) there are
plenty of options for things like that.

yep.
Old January 8th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...
I have been doing this digital photography thing for some time, and I have
yet to have the need to produce a thumbnail of any quality.

If you have your own web photo gallery site, you can use ImageMagick to
produce the thumbnails for the pages (I do so).
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 8th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

I have been doing this digital photography thing for some time, and I have
yet to have the need to produce a thumbnail of any quality.

If you have your own web photo gallery site, you can use ImageMagick to
produce the thumbnails for the pages (I do so).

you 'can', but only if you want to do it the hard way.

numerous apps can automatically create thumbnails and links to the full
size images simply by exporting a web site, and in a variety of
layouts.
Old January 8th 18, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 8, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
I have been doing this digital photography thing for some time, and I have
yet to have the need to produce a thumbnail of any quality.

If you have your own web photo gallery site, you can use ImageMagick to
produce the thumbnails for the pages (I do so).

That is great, and you have explained your reason for building thumbnails,
and that you use ImagMagick to do that. However, in the context of the OP’s
original post, he has never explained why he needed to build these
thumbnails, and he has never said that he uses ImageMagick, only that he had
written a script to do the job. As of your post, there is only speculation
that he uses ImageMagic, or the reason for creating thumbnails. Further, out
in the World of creating web sites, and/or web galleries there are far
simpler ways to do that sort of thing.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 18, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I have been doing this digital photography thing for some time, and I
have yet to have the need to produce a thumbnail of any quality.

If you have your own web photo gallery site, you can use ImageMagick to
produce the thumbnails for the pages (I do so).

That is great, and you have explained your reason for building thumbnails,
and that you use ImagMagick to do that. However, in the context of the OPs
original post, he has never explained why he needed to build these
thumbnails,

Does he need to? Explain? If that's the way he wants to do it, then
why should anyone else question it? If he wants to create thumbnails,
why should anyone question his reasons?

if he wants the best answers, then yes, he does need to explain what
his ultimate goal is, what he's done so far and what problems he's
encountered along the way.

There might be other, even better, ways to do it.

there most certainly are, but unless he explains what he's trying to
do, he's unlikely to find out what those are.
Old January 8th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

In other words, you can't answer the question as posed.

wrong, as usual, and i don't see you offering any answers.

How is there a "best" answer to the question anyway?

easy, but you're not interested in helping anyone.
Old January 8th 18, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 8, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:46:22 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 8, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
I have been doing this digital photography thing for some time, and I have
yet to have the need to produce a thumbnail of any quality.

If you have your own web photo gallery site, you can use ImageMagick to
produce the thumbnails for the pages (I do so).

That is great, and you have explained your reason for building thumbnails,
and that you use ImagMagick to do that. However, in the context of the
OP’s
original post, he has never explained why he needed to build these
thumbnails,

Does he need to?

Yes. If he is truly seeking a rational solution to his question.

Explain?

Explain what?

If that's the way he wants to do it, then why should anyone else question it?

Because he is not satisfied with the method he is using, and posted his OP
query because he was not getting what he wanted using his script method.

If he wants to create thumbnails, why should anyone question his reasons?

Because, there might not actually be a need to create those thumbnails, and
if for some strange reason he has a logical need to create thumnails he could
be guided to a solution which would give him the results he desires.

There might be other, even better, ways to do it.

There are.

However, all Phillip asked was why there was a size difference between the KD10 and
the GR output. He didn't ask for advice on how to make the thumbnails
by a more simple method or whether or not he should continue to make
them.

True. However, due to the vague nature, and shortage of information in his
OP, all it did was end up generating more questions, and a little conjecture.

There have been 43 follow-up posts to his question; none of which have
answered the question.

....and a fair number of those responses were due to Carlos acting as a
Phillip proxy, and Linux advocate.

Only one person has even conjectured about the
"Why?". The rest, for the most part, are of the "I don't see a need
to do it - or do it that way - so you must be wrong". type.

Actually none of the responses were of the “so you must be wrong” type.
My responses were certainly of the “I don’t see a need to do it” with a
touch of “I don’t see a need to do it that way” type.

Your response, on the other hand is of the “Why are you even questioning
his post?”, criticizing responders without addressing the question, or
providing any alternate solution, type.

....and Happy New Year to you sir.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 18, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| if he wants the best answers, then yes, he does need to explain what
| his ultimate goal is, what he's done so far and what problems he's
| encountered along the way.
|
| In other words, you can't answer the question as posed.
|
| How is there a "best" answer to the question anyway?

I gave him what I thought were the only two
possible explanations to his actual question. But
the question seemed arbitrary. If he knew what
he was doing he could have checked those two
possibilities himself before asking.

Why didn't he extract the thumbnails? Did he
know he can do that? Why is he concerned about
file size but seemingly oblivious to image quality?
What's he using them for? We don't know what
his experience is. We don't even know for sure
that he knows what a thumbnail is. He doesn't
seem to be aware of what software he's using.
There's a good chance that he just copied that
code from somewhere online. So it makes sense
to ask what he's trying to accomplish.

Old January 9th 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

I don't recall you asking if I knew the answer. I don't. I don't
have the slightest idea. If I did, I would have provided it 40-some
posts ago.

i don't need to ask. it's very clear you know very, very little about
anything technical.

How is there a "best" answer to the question anyway?

easy, but you're not interested in helping anyone.

In other words, you don't know the answer to this question, either.

in other words, you continue to make incorrect assumptions.
Old January 9th 18, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 8, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 18:28:55 -0500,
wrote:

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

So says the person who say the best answer is "easy" to provide, but
doesn't provide one.

I am sure that this typical exchange between you two is going to add
considerable value to this thread.

Savageduck