A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ripe Apples



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old November 15th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Ripe Apples

On 11/14/2017 7:43 PM, nospam wrote:

snip


peter made the ludicrous and unfounded claim that retina displays have
issues with the shadows. that's complete nonsense, entirely fabricated
by him solely to argue.


Go live in your dream world. I was ready to put down some serious money
for it, but decided not to, for the reason stated.

--
PeterN
  #72  
Old November 15th 17, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,088
Default Ripe Apples

In article , PeterN
wrote:

peter made the ludicrous and unfounded claim that retina displays have
issues with the shadows. that's complete nonsense, entirely fabricated
by him solely to argue.


Go live in your dream world. I was ready to put down some serious money
for it, but decided not to, for the reason stated.


your loss, because 'the reason stated' has no basis in reality.
  #73  
Old November 15th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,467
Default Ripe Apples

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:43:39 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And when using a gloss monitor, although the highlights and mid range
colors are great, it is very difficult to see gradations of color in the
shadow to dark areas.

complete nonsense.

Most people may not care, but I do. I know the
gloss on Apple branded monitors is not as high as it used to be, but I
prefer to work on a matte surfaced monitor.

only because you've used ****ty glossy displays.

Gee, they were all Apple branded products.

so what?

nobody said everything apple makes is perfect.


All they do is deny that the Apple product under discussion has any
faults. 'They' being you.


bull****. i never said anything remotely close to that.

peter made the ludicrous and unfounded claim that retina displays have
issues with the shadows. that's complete nonsense, entirely fabricated
by him solely to argue.


Thank you for being so prompt with an example.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #74  
Old November 15th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Ripe Apples

On 11/15/2017 2:41 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:43:39 -0500, nospam
wrote:



snip




peter made the ludicrous and unfounded claim that retina displays have
issues with the shadows. that's complete nonsense, entirely fabricated
by him solely to argue.


Thank you for being so prompt with an example.

The in context and clear meaning of my statement is that glossy monitors
have issues displaying color gradations in the dark and shadow areas. My
conclusion was drawn after I had conversations with users, and
manufacturers representatives, including Apple.



--
PeterN
  #75  
Old November 15th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,088
Default Ripe Apples

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The in context and clear meaning of my statement is that glossy monitors
have issues displaying color gradations in the dark and shadow areas.


they don't, and retina displays are not glossy anyway.

My
conclusion was drawn after I had conversations with users, and
manufacturers representatives, including Apple.


your conclusion is wrong and your refusal to learn is even worse.
  #76  
Old November 15th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Ripe Apples

On 11/15/2017 11:53 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

The in context and clear meaning of my statement is that glossy monitors
have issues displaying color gradations in the dark and shadow areas.


they don't, and retina displays are not glossy anyway.

My
conclusion was drawn after I had conversations with users, and
manufacturers representatives, including Apple.


your conclusion is wrong and your refusal to learn is even worse.


That's your problem. What I have is working well.

--
PeterN
  #77  
Old November 15th 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,088
Default Ripe Apples

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The in context and clear meaning of my statement is that glossy monitors
have issues displaying color gradations in the dark and shadow areas.


they don't, and retina displays are not glossy anyway.

My
conclusion was drawn after I had conversations with users, and
manufacturers representatives, including Apple.


your conclusion is wrong and your refusal to learn is even worse.


That's your problem.


no it isn't.

What I have is working well.


nobody said it didn't work well.

the point is that there are other options, potentially much better
options, but you blindly dismiss them without even evaluating them.
  #78  
Old November 15th 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 710
Default Ripe Apples

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 3:59:50 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-11-09 09:03, nospam wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not
open up their computer and swap parts all day long.

The usual asshat reply from nospam. People don't "swap parts all
day long". They do it when needed from time to time.


actually, they don't. the vast majority of users have someone else
repair their computer, just as they do with their cars, tvs and
other products.


A nonsense reply of convenience.


Hidden within the angst are a couple of fair & reasonable points,
namely that hardware swaps aren't generally all that frequent of
an occurrence for many people, and that the decision to DIY versus
getting someone else to do it is also an option to consider.

As to just how often -vs- infrequent, that's a YMMV. So too
is whatever the statistical split is between DIY'ers and delegators.


Having it so a user can maintain and repair it doesn't prevent
people from getting it repaired elsewhere.


Probably not, but making something harder will probably serve to
discourage DIY'ers (and the potential revenue stream for repairmen)


When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial
to remove and replace. About 10 minutes with most desktops.


only if someone has the skills and tools.


A couple screwdrivers. The skills are fairly low end and there a
gazillion sites showing how to do it elsewise. IOW another nonsense
reply of convenience from you.


In a generic old school desktop, yes, it usually is pretty trivial.
However, well over half of PCs these days are laptops, and these
quickly become more involved/complex.


while readers of usenet might, the general public is not going to
open up a computer to swap a hard drive.


Perhaps. But why not make it easier for those who will. Indeed make it
easier for the "pros" (including Apple) who do it? Again and again your
replies are nonsense convenience reasons.


FWIW, I agree with the interest in 'design for maintainability',
but unfortunately, this isn't really a major objective for any
PC OEMs today: the generic WinTel boxes happen to be pretty easy,
but that's really more by accident than by plan. Apple OTOH does
have 'harder' designs (since the cheesegrater Mac Pro), supposedly
due to their design aesthetic to want to be thin at all costs, etc.


On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more. Tedious.
And no reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple
aesthetic.


the reason is that opening a computer is rarely done, if ever, and
optimizing for that scenario stupid.


Not at all. Many things are designed for maintainability and capability
growth w/o making them more expensive. It's your usual nonsense reply
of convenience.


Things & times change. I can't even recall the last time that I
opened up one of my cellphones to upgrade its RAM. g In any
case, the days of DIY incremental upgrades because of rapid PC
technology change ... are over. As such, the "hardware upgrade
temptation" paradigm has shifted from ~9 months out to 2-3 years.

FWIW, I've only done brain surgery on an iMac once ... it was an
example of where the owner didn't want to do it, so he asked me.
The exercise took longer than dropping a 3.5" into a tower, but
then again,

a) I also took the time to verify that the owner did indeed
correctly clone the original drive (and have a data backup)
before I opened the case;

b) I'd never opened an iMac before, so I went slowly & deliberately,
and following the step-by-step instructions;

c) I also upgraded the RAM while I was replacing the 2.5" HDD
with an SSD;

d) I also had to prepare & clear the workspace, unpack the box
of replacement parts, verify inventory, etc.

All in all, I'd say that it took me 3-4 hours from "okay here's
the pile of stuff" to "all done & all cleaned up"...but that also
included a lunch break, etc.

it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
versus something that *might* happen.

some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to
be removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last
5-10 years, that's a very good design decision.


No, it's a horrible decision. Batteries here rarely last 5 years due to
the harsh winters. Having to remove a wheel to even examine a battery
for its condition is absolute stupidity. I see why you admire it.


Checking battery condition? Is this still the 1970s or something?
Batteries have been pretty much maintenance free for a couple of
decades now.

.....oh, and except for extreme (nee Arctic level) cold, it is
usually heat and NVH that tends to kill off batteries.

For example, I'm personally in US Climatic Zone 5 and while I
normally expect 5+ years life, it does depend: I replaced one
battery this summer (in a low mileage 'collector') which when
we checked the service records turned out to be 2 weeks short
of 14 years old...and FYI, for all but 3 of those years, this
particular vehicle used to be stored outside in the winter
(it only started to be garaged in 2014, when we learned that
it had become a 'collectible' worth more today than when new).


-hh
  #79  
Old November 16th 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,056
Default Ripe Apples

On 11/15/2017 12:13 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

The in context and clear meaning of my statement is that glossy monitors
have issues displaying color gradations in the dark and shadow areas.

they don't, and retina displays are not glossy anyway.

My
conclusion was drawn after I had conversations with users, and
manufacturers representatives, including Apple.

your conclusion is wrong and your refusal to learn is even worse.


That's your problem.


no it isn't.

What I have is working well.


nobody said it didn't work well.

the point is that there are other options, potentially much better
options, but you blindly dismiss them without even evaluating them.


Once again you, by your own words, prove that you are only look for an
argument, not to have a reasonable discussion. I evaluated a lot of
monitors, including some branded by Apple, before I made my decision. I
feel no compulsion to discuss this further.

--
PeterN
  #80  
Old November 16th 17, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,088
Default Ripe Apples

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The in context and clear meaning of my statement is that glossy monitors
have issues displaying color gradations in the dark and shadow areas.

they don't, and retina displays are not glossy anyway.

My
conclusion was drawn after I had conversations with users, and
manufacturers representatives, including Apple.

your conclusion is wrong and your refusal to learn is even worse.

That's your problem.


no it isn't.

What I have is working well.


nobody said it didn't work well.

the point is that there are other options, potentially much better
options, but you blindly dismiss them without even evaluating them.


Once again you, by your own words, prove that you are only look for an
argument, not to have a reasonable discussion.


once again, you're wrong.

I evaluated a lot of
monitors, including some branded by Apple, before I made my decision. I
feel no compulsion to discuss this further.


you did so long before there were retina displays and also received bad
advice. your conclusion is therefore not valid.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ripe Apples Davoud Digital Photography 3 November 9th 17 06:29 AM
Apples, oranges, new crop of P&S's [email protected] Digital Photography 1 December 16th 07 08:04 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.