usb2 on sony vaio fx805 + Nikon D50

Old December 1st 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

Default usb2 on sony vaio fx805 + Nikon D50

I have had the above laptop for about 4 years - increased memory and
upgraded hd to 60Gb 7200rpm - so its still going strong, however it only has
usb1.1. Recently got a Nikon D50 DSLR and need to input large data files
from camera/SD card, the slow speed of the usb is becoming frustrating. I
can think of a few solutions but each has a problem

1) get a firewire sd card reader - can't find one!
2) get a usb2 cardbus card - unfortunately cant find one that will fit above
or below the d-link wireless network cardbus since all the cards I can find
have the ports mounted on the card not on a fly lead and the d-link is
thicker where the aerial is !!
3) gdet a usb2/firewire hub which connects using a firewire lead - can't
find such a beast
4) get an external fw drive with multimedia card readers built in - yippee
western digital do a range of these but they are expensive and I've already
got the external fw drive already
5) get the case only from 4 above but where from and how expensive will it
be

anybody have any other ideas ??

help
--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old December 2nd 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

NikV wrote:
[...]

Add:-
Get a new laptop with USB2.
Use jpg or other compressed file format for the files, (not recommended
unless you simply want to view the photos, not print same!)
Be patient, there's always tomorrow.

Dennis.

Old December 2nd 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

NikV wrote:
[...]

IBM's firewire PCMCIA cars do not extend at all from the slot, since
they use a dongle for the actual ports. Therefore you shouldn't have a
problem with your d-link card, if you put the firewire card underneath it.
Old December 2nd 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.
"Stavros Christoforou" wrote in message
l...
NikV wrote:
[...]

sorry - my explanation was not clear enough - I need a pcmcia card with usb2
ports which are on a flylead

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old December 2nd 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:52:58 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "NikV"
wrote:

I have had the above laptop for about 4 years - increased memory and
upgraded hd to 60Gb 7200rpm - so its still going strong, however it only
has
usb1.1. Recently got a Nikon D50 DSLR and need to input large data files
from camera/SD card, the slow speed of the usb is becoming frustrating. I
can think of a few solutions but each has a problem

1) get a firewire sd card reader - can't find one!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogl e+Search

only one here is the amtron - tried lots of combinations on google already

http://www.amtron.com/reader/1394fisdmc.htm

I checked this last week - no price, no stock unknown if and when there will
be !!

--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

thanx
--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old December 2nd 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

NikV wrote:
[...]

Get a PCMCIA SD reader...plug your SD into the card, plug the card into
PC' slot, and it acts like an additional hard drive...but faster(?).
It's all I ever use (actually all I have...bought the
camera--Nikon--second hand).

jak
Old December 2nd 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..
NikV wrote:
[...]

Firewire card reader:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-in-1-FIREWIRE-...QQcmdZViewItem

I think this is the hub you are looking for. It looks like you can connect
it via USB2 or Firewi
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=225

Chris

Old December 2nd 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:52:58 -0000, NikV wrote:

1) get a firewire sd card reader - can't find one!
2) get a usb2 cardbus card - unfortunately cant find one that will fit above
or below the d-link wireless network cardbus since all the cards I can find
have the ports mounted on the card not on a fly lead and the d-link is
thicker where the aerial is !!
3) gdet a usb2/firewire hub which connects using a firewire lead - can't
find such a beast
4) get an external fw drive with multimedia card readers built in - yippee
western digital do a range of these but they are expensive and I've already
got the external fw drive already
5) get the case only from 4 above but where from and how expensive will it
be

anybody have any other ideas ??

How about a PCMCIA or Cardbus adapter that accepts CF cards
instead of SD cards? You may not be able to find one that accepts
SD cards but you don't need that, assuming that you can find an SD
- CF adapter. My camera uses xD cards so I use a CF - xD
adapter which is inserted into the PCMCIA CF adapter that plugs into
a SCSI based PCMCIA reader. Works very nicely, and if I then had a
need to read my PDA's SD card, I'd only need to find a CF - SD
adapter. Since I don't want to waste money buying larger CF cards
for an old camera, the CF - xD adapter does double duty by also
allowing my old camera to use my larger capacity xD cards.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

wrote:

I have had the above laptop for about 4 years - increased memory
and
upgraded hd to 60Gb 7200rpm - so its still going strong, however it
only has usb1.1. Recently got a Nikon D50 DSLR and need to input
large data files from camera/SD card, the slow speed of the usb is
becoming frustrating. I can think of a few solutions but each has a
problem

1) get a firewire sd card reader - can't find one!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogl e+Search

http://www.amtron.com/reader/1394fisdmc.htm

Mr Amtron said he is out of stock.

I've had one of these for nearly two years. It works as you'd hope,
except:
If I ignore it for a week or two (not unusual) the computer loses
track of it, and it asks to be unplugged and re-plugged, upon which
obeisance it resumes its role as two drive letters, one molto-SD-etc
and one CF. Cost me $79 plus tax and shipping, but was here in two
days and makes no complaints when used frequently.

--
_Regardez_
Frank ess

Old December 2nd 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.laptops

In article , NikV
writes
[...]

Replace your d-link card with a 3Com XJack wifi card. These have a
retractable aerial do not broaden at the end. I got mine from Amazon.
Then any cardbus USB2 card will fit.
--
Thoss