Printing pix and fading inks

Old August 14th 04, 12:15 AM
Frederick Knox

Default Printing pix and fading inks

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
thoughts?
Old August 14th 04, 07:37 AM
stanb

"Frederick Knox" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem: I own a canon
i850 and use their inks to print my pix. I've noticed that after a
few months the ink has faded in the pix, particularly black which fads
to a brown color. If anyone knows anything that can stop the fading
I'd greatly appreciate it. I thought of spraying hair spray on the
pix to protect them but it didn't work, they still faded. Any other
thoughts?

Its a known problem with canon inks - they are prone to both light and gas
(ozone) fading. several alternatives - display photos protected by either
sheet protectors or under glass,; store in photo albums so exposure time is
minimal ; cover with a protective varnish; or buy a pigmented ink printer
such as the Epson R800 or 2100/2200 ( almost required if you intend to sell
any of your prints)

you should be able to find plenty of information about this in Dpreviews
printing forum

Old August 14th 04, 12:48 PM
John McGraw

"stanb" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have a much better suggestion; never use cannon printers! Cannon
printers are a total fraud. They don't do what they purport to do.
I've purchased & used Cannon cameras since the late '70s, & I have no
complaints, only praise. I've spent 10's of thousands on Cannon camera
equipment. But when it comes to their printers, it seems like a
different company. I haven't bought any cameras of any brand since the
mid 90s, so I don't know if their cameras have gone down the sh!ter
like their printers.

I have to believe that if the corporate masthead allows the printer's
division devious methods of doing business then they must approve of
it. And therefore by extension I doubt that Cannon camera's have any
more integrity of their operation than the printers do. If the camera
division has managed to keep their integrity with the printer
division's shucking & jiving, how long will the corporate entity allow
the camera division to continue?

In any case as a matter of principal, I refuse to buy any Cannon
product, John

Old August 14th 04, 12:50 PM
YoYo

stanb No your wrong I have a Canon i9900
and months ago when I bought it I
printed a photo and have left it on an
outside shelf (protected from rain not
sun) and it hasn't faded at all! It is
still there proving it :+) Now this was
on Canon photo paper so if your using
cheap paper then it might be possible?

"stanb"
wrote in message

"Frederick Knox"

om...

Old August 14th 04, 12:50 PM
YoYo

stanb No your wrong I have a Canon i9900
and months ago when I bought it I
printed a photo and have left it on an
outside shelf (protected from rain not
sun) and it hasn't faded at all! It is