Compact Flash Card

Old February 12th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay[_3_]

Default Compact Flash Card

I need to buy a new 4GB cf card and was wandering if I should buy a Sandisk
or a Lexar card?
I want reliability and fast read/write speed out of this card but
reliability above and beyond anything else.
Much of my photography is sports.

Thanks

Old February 12th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:13:30 -0600, Jay wrote:

I need to buy a new 4GB cf card and was wandering if I should buy a
Sandisk or a Lexar card?

Probably since they are the largest manufacturers. But I'd also consider
anything else that might be cheaper.

I want reliability and fast read/write speed out of this card but
reliability above and beyond anything else. Much of my photography is
sports.

Never had a problem with any card I've ever bought - always get the
cheapest available: viking, toshiba, sandisk, . . . In many cases, a
basic card is still faster than the I/O system of your camera - do you
have specs on what it will do?

Thanks

Old February 12th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay[_3_]

As to the cheaper cards.
I bought a PNY card last week at Best Buy and returned it immediately. It
was way too slow.
When shooting sports you often need to shoot as many frames per second as
the camera can handle.
Under those circumstances slow cards don't cut it.
With the PNY card the camera took almost double the time to write and could
not take as many shots in bust mode before it started slowing down.

Old February 12th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. G D Geen

Jay wrote:
I need to buy a new 4GB cf card and was wandering if I should buy a Sandisk
or a Lexar card?
I want reliability and fast read/write speed out of this card but
reliability above and beyond anything else.
Much of my photography is sports.

Thanks

I use both and have not had a problem with either vendor. I am
currently using an 8GB Sandisk in my D300. I choose Sandisk because I
could not find an 8GB Lexar at the time. -G
Old February 12th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:11:01 -0600, Jay wrote:

- snip -

When shooting sports .........

........ take as many shots in bust mode ...

Would this be for The Swim Suit issue? :-)
Old February 12th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:11:01 -0600, "Jay" wrote in
:

"ray" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:13:30 -0600, Jay wrote:

I need to buy a new 4GB cf card and was wandering if I should buy a
Sandisk or a Lexar card?

Probably since they are the largest manufacturers. But I'd also consider
anything else that might be cheaper.

Likewise.

I want reliability and fast read/write speed out of this card but
reliability above and beyond anything else. Much of my photography is
sports.

Likewise.

Never had a problem with any card I've ever bought - always get the
cheapest available: viking, toshiba, sandisk, . . .

I go with inexpensive ultra fast no name cards, typically on eBay.
Before using them in my camera, I run a thorough disk test from PC to
ensure they write and read reliably (just as I would with name brand
cards), and I've not gotten a bad one (thus far at least).

In many cases, a
basic card is still faster than the I/O system of your camera - do you
have specs on what it will do?

While that was true some time ago, fast cards definitely make a
difference with many more current cameras.

As to the cheaper cards.
I bought a PNY card last week at Best Buy and returned it immediately. It
was way too slow.
When shooting sports you often need to shoot as many frames per second as
the camera can handle.
Under those circumstances slow cards don't cut it.
With the PNY card the camera took almost double the time to write and could
not take as many shots in bust mode before it started slowing down.

Not surprising. That's why I go with inexpensive ultra fast no name
cards.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old February 12th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay[_3_]

That's absolutely hilarious.

Sorry about the misspelling.

When shooting sports .........

Old February 12th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali

I have used Sandisk's for quite a while and have never had any problems with
them at all. So, I can recommend Sandisk. Not tried Lexar myself.

A 4GB Sandisk Extreme III is only about £23 delivered, which I think is a
bargain.

Old February 12th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

4 GB ultra fast (150X) generic CF cards (Samsung chips) are available on
eBay for under US$25 delivered, about half as much. Why pay more?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:27:13 -0000, "Ali" wrote in
:

Old February 12th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nospam

Does anyone know the speeds of the sandisk cards

ultra II is it 60x

ultra III is it 133x

ultra IV is it 300x

--