B&W printing on Inkjet

Old January 28th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeecee

Default B&W printing on Inkjet

Hi all

I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&

Thanks
Old January 28th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

jeecee wrote:
Hi all

I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&

Borderless 13x19 is nice maybe a more common paper size. My R1800
doesn't have those extra gray inks. I guess they work with both matte &
gloss paper unlike the full black. I use Epson semigloss & Moab
watercolor papers with great results. Have fun. 9 cartridges at $12 or
more each is going to hurt though.
Old January 29th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Jan 28, 6:31 pm, jeecee wrote:
Hi all

I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&

Thanks

Epson's R2400 has a very good reputation for b&w. Most of the newer
higher end printers 13 inches and above are designed to print b&w
quite well. I'm finding printing with the file in RGB, so I can adjust
tonality, and using the RGB profiles works quite well. But a good
profile is necessary, in some cases a custom profile maybe what you
need as all generic profiles are not created equal. Others swear by
monochrome profiling, haven't tried that yet, but it seems you need
your own high end profiling system. On several papers I can get
excellent results, the ones I have the best profiles for, others are
giving me some bronzing. This also tests how well your monitor is
calibrated.
Good luck
Tom
Old January 29th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:

Hi all

I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print
mostly 11x14 so... any tips&

Thanks

Feb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using
an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink"
Old January 30th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Paseur[_5_]

I use the 2400 for both color and B&W and am very satisfied. It shares the
inkset with my big printers. You might want to try Crane Silver Rag paper.
Be sure to use the Crane profiles available at their web site. ~Ray

Old February 1st 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

jeecee wrote:
Hi all

I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked
at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll
print mostly 11x14 so... any tips&

Thanks

3800 and it costs less to operate.
Old February 1st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

ray wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:

Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips& Thanks

Feb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink"

You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.
Old February 1st 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JimKramer

On Feb 1, 11:39*am, measekite wrote:
ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so.... any tips& ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink"
You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.

Why?
Old February 2nd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JimKramer

On Feb 1, 6:19*pm, measekite wrote:
JimKramer wrote:On Feb 1, 11:39*am, wrote:ray wrote:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:31:56 -0500, jeecee wrote:Hi all I really need some advices on buying a B&W printer (Inkjet); I lookked at Epson offerings and it seem that the R2400 fills the bill. I'll print mostly 11x14 so... any tips& ThanksFeb. 2008 issue of Shutterbug - pg. 84 - "A New B&W Inkjet Option - Using an Epson R800 or R1800 with B&W 100 percent Carbon MIS Ink" You only want to use Epson ink in an Epson printer.Why?

It is pigmented ink

Most archival inks are.

Epson ink is very superior for fade resistance

Based on?

Epson ink produces better quality and more color accurate prints.* B/W does not have the color tint

Compared to? and that depends on the B&W color set you chose.

Epson ink reduces the risk of printhead clogging

Not really.

Other inks can ruin the printhead which is not replaceable.

If you want to spend enough it is replaceable, just generally not
worth it vs. a new printer.

MIS makes some very nice inks for both toned B&W and color printing.
I killed an Epson 880 and two 1280's while using MIS inks, because the
printers mechanically wore out, not because there was anything wrong
with the print head.