What price for framed prints?

Old January 28th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

Default What price for framed prints?

I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
sale at an upcoming art show.

The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
$125 framing cost):

http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadian_rockies_2007%2 F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg

The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
frames:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3061.jpg
http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3242.jpg

The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
what price to charge. Any ideas?

Thanks

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old January 28th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Eric Miller wrote:
I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
sale at an upcoming art show.

The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
$125 framing cost):

http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadian_rockies_2007%2 F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg

The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
frames:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3061.jpg

http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3242.jpg

The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
what price to charge. Any ideas?

Moraine image: I'd love to see this in print- process? Gelatin or
inkjet? Off the cuff, %450 sounds right.

Hummers: Assuming a framing cost of ca. $50, I'd guess $ !50, maybe $250
the pair.

For me, the stem in the background stuck out, and now I can't get it out
of my mind. I wonder if cloning it out might be an improvement? (It's
the only one that's clearly OoF. Nothing wrong with OoF itself, but
somehow, for me, it catches too much attention, due to where it lies in
the photo.)

Very nice stuff, Eric.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 28th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

Moraine image: I'd love to see this in print- process? Gelatin or
inkjet? Off the cuff, %450 sounds right.

Hummers: Assuming a framing cost of ca. $50, I'd guess $ !50, maybe $250
the pair.

For me, the stem in the background stuck out, and now I can't get it out
of my mind. I wonder if cloning it out might be an improvement? (It's
the only one that's clearly OoF. Nothing wrong with OoF itself, but
somehow, for me, it catches too much attention, due to where it lies in
the photo.)

Very nice stuff, Eric.

Thanks John. I have found a place online, Reed Photo, that will print
these images with a lightjet onto Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The
Moraine shot is a stitch of four portrait shots taken with a 5D so I
have plenty of pixels to work with.

The price on framing the hummingbirds will be around $50. The print
itself will probably cost about $20 more (just a guess, I haven't priced
the 11x14s, the 16x24 will run around $70 for the print, about $200
total cost framed. I was thinking somewhere around $400, but had
absolute no reference prices to use since I haven't bought or sold
prints before.

Thanks,

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old January 28th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Eric Miller wrote:

[...]

I don't sell thataway, although maybe someday. I try to see all local
street fairs in the BayArea that I can, and my suggestions are based on
that. Though I was thinking the hummers were going to be 8 x 10, so
printing costs would be nil on that size. Darn, too bad you aren't
nearby. I could print the 16 x 24s on my new Epson 3800.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 29th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/...canadian_rocki

http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/inde...2F_MG_3061.jpg

http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/inde...2F_MG_3242.jpg

The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
what price to charge. Any ideas?

Thanks

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Best to start out high and lower prices as needed. Most Photographers
under sell there work and this complicates the pricing for everyone.
Standard business practice use to be 100 percent mark up from expenses.
But many successful art selling photographers will tell you more like
700% is easily obtainable. It just depends on the buyer. I've sold lots
of 80 dollar 16x20's that I've printed and matted, a few 250.00 16x20's
framed under glass and an occasional 16x20 at 450.00 framed under glass.
I would rather sell 10 at 80.00 than one at 450.00 although two at
450.00 be nicer.

I think you could go higher for the humming birds than John's 50.00 I'd
say they are certainly worth 150.00 each at 11x14 matted and framed.
The B&W I think although a nice picture, its too generic for 450.00 It
is also probably not going to be as sharp as someone who is using and is
good at using a Large format camera printed at that size. There will be
competition doing so with better imagery. Of course it all depends on
the buyer as stated.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 29th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On Jan 28, 9:58 am, Eric Miller
wrote:
I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
sale at an upcoming art show.

The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
$125 framing cost):

http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadi...

The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
frames:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_...
http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_...

The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
what price to charge. Any ideas?

Thanks

Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

Eric,
Nice images, I wouldn't print the Moraine picture on Fuji Archive, if
you want a chemical print, try to find a company that is working with
a b&w paper, much better tonality. I stopped using a local printer and
bought a wide format inkjet, just for the reason I really don't like
b&w images on color paper. Inkjet will give a more archival life
expectancy anyway.
Just my opinion,
Tom
Old January 29th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

____ wrote:
In article ,
Eric Miller wrote:

[...]

It looks like I hit the ! exclamation point ! instead of a one. It may
show up differently or blank depending on your set up, but we're in the
same pew with $150- I was thinking 8 x 10 matted and framed, though.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 29th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

tomm42 wrote:
On Jan 28, 9:58 am, Eric Miller
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll probably give it a try with a local printer.

Eric Miller
Old January 29th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

It
is also probably not going to be as sharp as someone who is using and is
good at using a Large format camera printed at that size. There will be
competition doing so with better imagery. Of course it all depends on
the buyer as stated.

Maybe so, but that image is a stitch of 4 portrait oriented shots from a
Canon 5D so there really are a lot of pixels to work with.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old January 30th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
Eric Miller wrote:

It
is also probably not going to be as sharp as someone who is using and is
good at using a Large format camera printed at that size. There will be
competition doing so with better imagery. Of course it all depends on
the buyer as stated.

Maybe so, but that image is a stitch of 4 portrait oriented shots from a
Canon 5D so there really are a lot of pixels to work with.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

If its stitched it may be sharper. It just lacks a dramatic sky and
maybe some foreground interest.....then it would be a more salable shot.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.