recovering files from iomega zip drive

Old January 26th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default recovering files from iomega zip drive

Does anyone here know of any software programs (like File Rescue Plus)
that work with iomega zip drives? The drive in question doesn't mount
as a drive letter. The person used "media recovery" software, and
while it found the files it didn't recover them in the right format.
There are several disks, each with over 100 files that need to be
recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.

Thanks!
Old January 28th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Jan 26, 1:34 pm, " wrote:
Does anyone here know of any software programs (like File Rescue Plus)
that work with iomega zip drives? The drive in question doesn't mount
as a drive letter. The person used "media recovery" software, and
while it found the files it didn't recover them in the right format.
There are several disks, each with over 100 files that need to be
recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.

Thanks!

The drive should mount as an external drive, you may need Iomega
software to do this. But any XP computer recognizes my USB zip drive,
though I hardy use it anymore.

Tom
Old January 28th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Jan 28, 8:56 am, tomm42 wrote:
On Jan 26, 1:34 pm, " wrote:

Does anyone here know of any software programs (like File Rescue Plus)
that work with iomega zip drives? The drive in question doesn't mount
as a drive letter. The person used "media recovery" software, and
while it found the files it didn't recover them in the right format.
There are several disks, each with over 100 files that need to be
recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.

Thanks!

The drive should mount as an external drive, you may need Iomega
software to do this. But any XP computer recognizes my USB zip drive,
though I hardy use it anymore.

Tom

IIRC, you may want to try to old program "guest" which iomega provided
with the drive. I'm sure it's on their website. It assisgned the
drive a letter and let you use it, but it didn't require any drivers
so when you restarted the computer, you were back to how it was
before. Then, check with a new disk to see if it's a drive problem or
data problem. Also, check the cable. And don't daisychain anything,
even though they say it's okay.

Finally, go to sourceforge.net or downloads.com and find a piece of
software. Almost any drive recover program would work.

But before you do that, if it's an old drive and a new computer, you
might want to look into FAT v. FAT32 problems. I don't quite
understand all of those issues myself, but I'm sure someone will now
it's mentioned. If that's the case, you might need to find an older
computer to hook it up to, but that's just a guess at this point.
Old January 28th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Gary Edstrom wrote:
[]
I can think of a bunch of formats that have come and gone since I
first got involved with personal computers back in 1975:

IBM Punch Cards
Punched Paper Tape
Tarbell Cassette Tape Interface
8" Floppy Disks
5.25" Floppy Disks
Zip & Jaz Drives

Soon to be obsolete:

CD-ROMs
DVDs

Gary

Don't the new drives (HD-DVD, BD) still read CD and DVD?

David

Old January 30th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter D[_2_]

It's entirely possible that the drive now in use or the drive previously
used has fallen to the dreaded "Iomega click" problem. Zip drives can fail
to read their own disks, and can make the disk unreadable in a healthy
drive. Googling might help.

What's really needed is more information. If you provided it I'll see if I
can help (I've recovered several hundred Zip disks and fixed about 20 drives
over the last five years ro so).