Nikon lens turns to gold!

Old July 6th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Nikon lens turns to gold!

Well, by weight, nearly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GLASS-NO...QQcmdZViewItem

Old July 6th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

RichA wrote:
Well, by weight, nearly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GLASS-NO...QQcmdZViewItem

Aha
It's got a crack in the plastic M/A ring.
The same ring / design as on the 80-200d - which fails in exactly the
same way.
Finally some evidence that plastic is inferior - and you miss it!
Old July 6th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"RichA" wrote in message
s.com...

Well, by weight, nearly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GLASS-NO...QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder why the starting price was set so high. I'm not sure how much the
damage will affect the seeling price, but this type of lens is pretty much
guaranteed to sell for just under the "brand new" price. Starting at 99
cents gets you a long list of keen bidders, at least I've found that when I
sold my 17-55 and 85/1.4 recently.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old July 6th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message

Just
curious, why did you sell the 84/1.4? I can see dumping the 17-55, but
not
the 85.

The 85 was a nice bit of glass, but it was not really getting enough use to
justify having $1200 tied up. My $300 35/2 seems to pretty much serve my
needs for glass for the time being, although I might get the cheaper (and
lighter!!) 85/1.8 some time, and perhaps the 20/2.8 to get some wide angle
shots.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old July 7th 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rudy Lacchin

Well, by weight, nearly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GLASS-NO...QQcmdZViewItem

I like the bonus: spend $3k, get a free Skylight filter!

R.

Old July 7th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

I notice the number of bids. Zero.

Old July 9th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yoshi

.. .

"RichA" wrote in message
s.com...
Well, by weight, nearly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GLASS-NO...QQcmdZViewItem

Actually, someone bid on it, in spite of the seller's false claim that the
lens is "mint". I suppose ANYTHING pases for "mint" on eBay.

Yoshi

Old July 15th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:42:20 -0400, "Yoshi" wrote:
:
: "Frank Arthur" wrote in message
: .. .
: I notice the number of bids. Zero.
:
: "RichA" wrote in message
: s.com...
: Well, by weight, nearly.
:
: http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-GLASS-NO...QQcmdZViewItem
:
:
: Actually, someone bid on it, in spite of the seller's false claim that the
: lens is "mint". I suppose ANYTHING pases for "mint" on eBay.

eBay is the Wild West of the Internet. Amongst those of mine aquaintance, only
my daughter has demonstrated that she knows how to use it without getting
stung. In this newsgroup, only Rita Umlaut (of all people) has shown serious
intimations of competence.

Bob
Old July 15th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rjn

"Yoshi" wrote:

Actually, someone bid on it, in spite of the seller's
false claim that the lens is "mint".

Arguably, anything that is not made by a minting-like
process cannot be "mint". When you see "mint" used to
describe something that is not made by stamping,
pressing or casting, raise a yellow flag.

I suppose ANYTHING pases for "mint" on eBay.

On eBay, "mint" merely describes the seller's expectation
for the Final Value.

More rarely, it means the parcel will include a free
after-dinner mint.

"mint" is a commonly-seen warning sign on eBay.
Not as stupid as "L@@K" and "WOW", but just as
misleading as "rare", "new". Perhaps not quite as
sinister as "sealed".

--
Regards, Bob Niland