Coolpix 3100 turns off after splash screen

Old March 31st 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Coolpix 3100 turns off after splash screen

Hi,

My coolpix 3100 regularly dies just after it powers up - it gets as
far as the 'coolpix' splash screen then dies, retracting its lens.

Have tried new batteries, a different CF card and resetting all
settings to default.

Occasionally, it will still work but it seems to report even new
batteries as 'low power' very early on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers
squelch41

Old March 31st 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pongo Potts

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

My coolpix 3100 regularly dies just after it powers up - it gets as
far as the 'coolpix' splash screen then dies, retracting its lens.

Have tried new batteries, a different CF card and resetting all
settings to default.

Occasionally, it will still work but it seems to report even new
batteries as 'low power' very early on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers
squelch41

clean the battery contacts with isopropyl alcohol or even light abrasion
with scotch brite pad (sometimes found on the back of kitchen sponges, green
in colour).

Old March 31st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:33:00 -0700, squelch41 wrote:

Hi,

My coolpix 3100 regularly dies just after it powers up - it gets as
far as the 'coolpix' splash screen then dies, retracting its lens.

Have tried new batteries, a different CF card and resetting all
settings to default.

Occasionally, it will still work but it seems to report even new
batteries as 'low power' very early on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers
squelch41

Try Lithium batteries and check the nikon web site for a firmware update.

Old March 31st 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 31, 4:43 pm, ray wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:33:00 -0700,squelch41wrote:
Hi,

My coolpix 3100 regularly dies just after it powers up - it gets as
far as the 'coolpix' splash screen then dies, retracting its lens.

Have tried new batteries, a different CF card and resetting all
settings to default.

Occasionally, it will still work but it seems to report even new
batteries as 'low power' very early on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers
squelch41

Try Lithium batteries and check the nikon web site for a firmware update.

Done the firmware update - now switches off after 0.5sec after the
viewfinder mode starts

Don't see how Li batteries will help - there is plenty of power in new
alkalines.

Old March 31st 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:57:06 -0700, squelch41 wrote:

On Mar 31, 4:43 pm, ray wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:33:00 -0700,squelch41wrote:
Hi,

My coolpix 3100 regularly dies just after it powers up - it gets as
far as the 'coolpix' splash screen then dies, retracting its lens.

Have tried new batteries, a different CF card and resetting all
settings to default.

Occasionally, it will still work but it seems to report even new
batteries as 'low power' very early on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers
squelch41

Try Lithium batteries and check the nikon web site for a firmware update.

Done the firmware update - now switches off after 0.5sec after the
viewfinder mode starts

Don't see how Li batteries will help - there is plenty of power in new
alkalines.

The issue seems to be the voltage.

Old March 31st 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mar 31, 4:43 pm, ray wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:33:00 -0700,squelch41wrote:
Hi,

My coolpix 3100 regularly dies just after it powers up - it gets as
far as the 'coolpix' splash screen then dies, retracting its lens.

Have tried new batteries, a different CF card and resetting all
settings to default.

Occasionally, it will still work but it seems to report even new
batteries as 'low power' very early on.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers
squelch41

Try Lithium batteries and check the nikon web site for a firmware update.

Done the firmware update - now switches off after 0.5sec after the
viewfinder mode starts

Don't see how Li batteries will help - there is plenty of power in new
alkalines.

I recognize your frustration. I don't have the answer, but from what we've
done with the wife's 2100, I have drawn the following tentative
conclusions:

Nikon evidently has had a significant problem with voltage sensors on
these cameras. New alkaline batteries and newly charged NiMH batteries
have a lower voltage than lithium batteries - it is a fact of chemistry.
It appears that alkaline or NiMH batteries drop enough voltage in short
order that they are basically unusable by the camera. We have tried both
of those. With new or freshly charged batteries of that type, even after
the firmware upgrade, the camera was good for about half a dozen pictures
before it ceased working. With the lithium batteries, the same camera and
same firmware is good for about 300 photos. I really suggest you give it a
try - they are not THAT expensive, and if the experiment fails, it does
not need to be repeated.

Old March 31st 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:21:25 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
SIG!) wrote:

Don't see how Li batteries will help - there is plenty of power in new
alkalines.

Hint, cameras don't sense power, they sense voltage.

That's practically the same thing. New alkalines should be able
to operate non-defective cameras for many hours, not a fraction of a
second. Even old, exhausted alkalines can usually be depended upon
to rebound slightly after several minutes of non-use to be able to
take a couple of non-flash shots. I suspect that the camera has a
mechanical or electrical problem of some kind. My Fuji exhibits
slightly similar behavior if I turn it on without having removed the
lens cap. This cap is not at all firmly attached, but the Fuji
apparently is able to detect extremely slight resistance when it
powers up and tries to extend the lens. If there's any resistance
it immediately shuts down, although it does provide an appropriate
warning on the display. The CP 3100 may not have adequate error
message routines to warn about mechanical problems, or some
electronic component may have died. If fresh alkalines fail, its
almost a foregone conclusion that NiMH batteries wouldn't work any
better, and the slightly higher voltage provided lithium batteries,
if it helps at all wouldn't do much better before being used for a
while. Lithiums don't have as steep a voltage decline as alkalines,
but they're not flat. If it turns out that only 1/4 of the energy
contained in lithium batteries are usable by the CP3100, using them
could be quite expensive, especially if the flash is used.

Old March 31st 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:40:09 -0600, ray wrote:

Nikon evidently has had a significant problem with voltage sensors on
these cameras. New alkaline batteries and newly charged NiMH batteries
have a lower voltage than lithium batteries - it is a fact of chemistry.
It appears that alkaline or NiMH batteries drop enough voltage in short
order that they are basically unusable by the camera. We have tried both
of those. With new or freshly charged batteries of that type, even after
the firmware upgrade, the camera was good for about half a dozen pictures
before it ceased working. With the lithium batteries, the same camera and
same firmware is good for about 300 photos. I really suggest you give it a
try - they are not THAT expensive, and if the experiment fails, it does
not need to be repeated.

Then the camera is flat out defective. Apparently the problem
varies from camera to camera, but the OP's is much worse than yours,
given that fresh batteries in your camera are good for half a dozen
pictures. His is good for zero pictures. It apparently won't stay
on for more that 1/2 second. That suggests that if lithium
batteries allow him to use the camera, it would be for far less than
the 300 shots that you're getting. Those are probably also 300
non-flash shots (correct me if I'm wrong), so if flash shots are
used, the use of lithium batteries which in most stores sell for
about $5.00 per pair could get very expensive very quickly.

I don't know the expected battery life for the CP3100, so 300
shots may very well be close to what a CP3100 in good condition
would get. But by way of comparison, Canon's A530/A540 is CIPA
rated at 360 shots with a pair of NiMH batteries, which includes a
lot of shots using the flash at full power. If the flash isn't
used, it's good for 1,000 shots per charge. A pair of lithiums
would presumably be good for well over 1000 non-flash shots.

Old March 31st 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:44:41 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:40:09 -0600, ray wrote:

Nikon evidently has had a significant problem with voltage sensors on
these cameras. New alkaline batteries and newly charged NiMH batteries
have a lower voltage than lithium batteries - it is a fact of chemistry.
It appears that alkaline or NiMH batteries drop enough voltage in short
order that they are basically unusable by the camera. We have tried both
of those. With new or freshly charged batteries of that type, even after
the firmware upgrade, the camera was good for about half a dozen pictures
before it ceased working. With the lithium batteries, the same camera and
same firmware is good for about 300 photos. I really suggest you give it a
try - they are not THAT expensive, and if the experiment fails, it does
not need to be repeated.

Then the camera is flat out defective.

You get no argument from me. I think they had a basic defect in the design
of the coolpix xx00 line in general.

Apparently the problem
varies from camera to camera, but the OP's is much worse than yours,
given that fresh batteries in your camera are good for half a dozen
pictures. His is good for zero pictures. It apparently won't stay
on for more that 1/2 second. That suggests that if lithium
batteries allow him to use the camera, it would be for far less than
the 300 shots that you're getting. Those are probably also 300
non-flash shots (correct me if I'm wrong), so if flash shots are
used, the use of lithium batteries which in most stores sell for
about $5.00 per pair could get very expensive very quickly.

The problem does seem to have a different magnitude, camera to camera. A
2100 I bought for my daughter about the same time would stop very soon.
After the firmware update it seems much better. Firmware update on my
wife's seems to have made very little difference.

At any rate, I guess it would cost him about $5.00 to check it out.

Old April 1st 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"ASAAR" wrote in message
[...]

The CoolPix 3100 and 2100 were similar in functionality, but the 3100 was
3.1 megapixels while the 2100 was 2.1 megapixels. I used to have a Coolpix
2100, but I no longer have that camera.

I often wondered if the lens motor wasn't using a significant amount of
power each time the camera was turned off and on, leaving much less battery
power for taking photos with the LCD and also with the flash on.

With the LCD on, I used to get 5 photos using the flash before the battery
meter showed low, and about 20 more photos before I got "Batteries are
completely exhausted". This was with 2000 mAh Lenmar NoMem NiMH batteries.

When I switched to XG 2400 mAh NiMH batteries, I was able to get about 10
photos with the flash before the battery meter showed low, and about 25 to
30 more photos before I got "Batteries are completely exhausted".

If I turned off the flash and also turned off the LCD, I was able to get
more than 75 photos before I even saw a low battery indicator.

Oddly enough, though, Night Landscape mode seemed to show low battery after
only about 15 photos, and while Night Landscape mode needed to have the LCD
on for whatever reason, it didn't use the flash at all.

In all cases, these results only reflected my testing and usage with fully
charged sets of NiMH battery cells. The workaround I used was that I just
carried around 3 extra sets of NiMH batteries, since it only used 2 AA
battery cells.

One would hope that Nikon has fixed this apparent power usage issue in their
newer point and shoot cameras--I was never disappointed in the quality of
the photos taken with the Coolpix 2100, except for those taken in low light,
but it always seemed odd that NiMH battery cells in that camera didn't last
much longer than AA alkaline cells.