Is CF a Dying Format?

Old January 12th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jim Redelfs

Default Is CF a Dying Format?

I just returned from Wal-Mart having perused their newly replenished stock of
memory cards. With the exception of one XD and one Memory Stick Pro, the rest
were SD. 256k is the smallest and 2gb the largest with a surprisingly low
price. There was NO Compact Flash. Is CF "going away"?
--

JR

Canon EOS 20D
Old January 12th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
I just returned from Wal-Mart having perused their newly replenished stock
of
memory cards. With the exception of one XD and one Memory Stick Pro, the
rest
were SD. 256k is the smallest and 2gb the largest with a surprisingly low
price. There was NO Compact Flash. Is CF "going away"?
--

JR

Canon EOS 20D

Does WalMart sell any cameras that take CF cards? That could be a hint as
to why they don't sell the cards...
However, it wouldn't surprise me if CF cards did fade away. Irritate me,
yes, surprise me, no. With about 40g of CF cards around the house, and
about 2g of SD cards, it would seriously **** me off if my next DSLR didn't
take CF cards. But with the new Nikons using SD cards, the 1 series giving
the choice of using SD or CF, there are rumblings on the horizon.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 12th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman

"Skip" wrote in message
[...]

Skip,

Did ya notice the "smiley" at the end of Jim's post?

Methinks he was poking a little fun at the "Death of IS" thread...

Fish On...!

;O)

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old January 12th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Littlewood

In article , Skip
writes
[...]

True. The other reason for regret, for me, would be that CF cards are
*much* easier to handle if you are working in a hurry; I have cameras
with CF, SD and memory sticks, but can change a CF card in about half
the time the others take. In part, this may be due to the fact that I
use them more, but ease of handling makes a big contribution.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old January 12th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
In article , Skip
writes
[...]

Hmm. I find it easier for me to change an SD card than a CF. At first, I
didn't like the SD format but I've come to prefer it over CF. Not having to
worry about a bent pin when using a CF card is a plus although I've never
experienced the problem myself.

Old January 12th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:08:15 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

I just returned from Wal-Mart having perused their newly replenished stock of
memory cards. With the exception of one XD and one Memory Stick Pro, the rest
were SD. 256k is the smallest and 2gb the largest with a surprisingly low
price. There was NO Compact Flash. Is CF "going away"?

I should hope not! I have four 512's and a 1 gig for my Digital Rebel.
I like the CF cards BECAUSE they are bigger and thus easier to handle
and harder to loose than some of these miniscule little fingernail
size cards!!

Old January 12th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

"Skip" wrote in message
[...]

The smiley looked like it was part of his sig lines, so I didn't think it
applied specifically to this post. But, even if it did, it wouldn't change
my reply. There was no flame, disagreement or sarcasm in my post that
should have been deflected by the use of a smiley by Jim. ;-)

Old January 12th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
[]
Hmm. I find it easier for me to change an SD card than a CF. At
first, I didn't like the SD format but I've come to prefer it over
CF. Not having to worry about a bent pin when using a CF card is a
plus although I've never experienced the problem myself.

SD is my preference as well. Just a little easier to change.

Perhaps people with older cameras should start thinking about completing
their collection of CF cards within the next few years....

David

Old January 12th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"David Littlewood" wrote in message

True. The other reason for regret, for me, would be that CF cards are
*much* easier to handle if you are working in a hurry; I have cameras
with CF, SD and memory sticks, but can change a CF card in about half
the time the others take. In part, this may be due to the fact that I
use them more, but ease of handling makes a big contribution.

I used to think like that too. But after switching from a DSLR with CF
to one with SD, I'm no longer pro-CF. I simply became accustomed to the
different format.

I don't like change for the sake of it, but if necessary it's an easy
change to make.

Old January 12th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Bill" wrote:

"David Littlewood" wrote in message

True. The other reason for regret, for me, would be that CF cards are
*much* easier to handle if you are working in a hurry; I have cameras
with CF, SD and memory sticks, but can change a CF card in about half
the time the others take. In part, this may be due to the fact that I
use them more, but ease of handling makes a big contribution.

I used to think like that too. But after switching from a DSLR with CF
to one with SD, I'm no longer pro-CF. I simply became accustomed to the
different format.

I don't like change for the sake of it, but if necessary it's an easy
change to make.

A large part of CF's early popularity was that CF-compatible IBM
Microdrives seemed to be a good option for higher memory capacity. But
the Microdrive technology has been completely overtaken by the ability
to make ever-larger flash memory on ever-smaller cards such as SD.
Thank goodness, because Microdrives were troublesome.

Without the lure of the Microdrive, and with the ability to make high
capacity cards that are physically much smaller, there is no reason to
continue with CF in the long term. The ever-reducing cost of memory
cards also means that it will not be too expensive to change when the
time comes.

SD is the new CF.

Dying FT2 -- Cost? Desdinova 35mm Photo Equipment 12 September 19th 06 04:11 PM
10D dying? Mike Digital Photography 14 December 23rd 05 12:52 PM
Leica Dying [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 105 March 5th 05 08:05 PM
Contax is Dying [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 2 March 5th 05 04:13 AM
2yr old 1GB Microdrive dying (long) this old user Digital Photography 14 August 20th 04 03:36 AM