Nikon Coolpix 5700 focus problem?

Old July 22nd 04, 09:53 AM
David J Taylor

Default Nikon Coolpix 5700 focus problem?

Anthony Martin wrote:
I am about to order the Nikon Coolpix 5700. The main problem mentioned
in all the reviews, is its difficulty to focus in low-light
conditions, and I am not sure exactly what that means. If you already
own a Nikon 5700 I would appreciate your opinion on this. Will I be
able to focus inside under normal light conditions? Not only that, but
I would also like the camera to be sensitive enough to take some
inside photos without having to use the flash.

Any feedback from existing Nikon 5700 users will be appreciated.

thanks

I have been happy with mine but, yes, it could be better. Inside photos
without flash are no problem, although the resulting longer exposures may
limit what you can take, as they would on any camera.

I've been delighted with my 5700. Recently I compared it with the 8MP
Minolta A2 (as I fancied the anto-shake) but the image quality on the
Minolta was no better. I believe that the sensor and lens are well
matched on the 5700, and that it offers both quality and excellent value
for money.

Cheers,
David

Old July 22nd 04, 10:37 AM
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
David J Taylor wrote:
Anthony Martin wrote:
I am about to order the Nikon Coolpix 5700. The main problem mentioned
in all the reviews, is its difficulty to focus in low-light
conditions, and I am not sure exactly what that means. If you already
own a Nikon 5700 I would appreciate your opinion on this. Will I be
able to focus inside under normal light conditions? Not only that, but
I would also like the camera to be sensitive enough to take some
inside photos without having to use the flash.

Any feedback from existing Nikon 5700 users will be appreciated.

thanks

I have been happy with mine but, yes, it could be better. Inside photos
without flash are no problem, although the resulting longer exposures may
limit what you can take, as they would on any camera.

I have a CP5000 which I understand to be the same sensor, electronics in
a different package...

BSS mode is your friend in low-light situations. The flash on the 5000
is adequate for small group photos indoors and maybe fill-flash outdoors
but not much else.

The 5000 does have problems focusing in very low light situations, but
not really had a problems indoors with normal room-light (or daylight)
settings.

Gordon
Old July 22nd 04, 10:48 AM
Michael Ryan

Yes there is a problem with low light, but it really depends on the contrast
between the subject and the background. You could always focus on a better
subject at about the same distance and then return to the original subject.
I think this is a small problem....other than this the 5700 is a very good
camera
Mick
om...